All Drives Have Read Only Attribute

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
February 22, 2005 3:07:03 AM

Hello All:

I am using Windows 2003 Server and all the Directories and Files off the
Root C,D,E have the Read Only Attribute, When I try to remove the Read Only
Attribute off using either Explorer or the Attrib command nothing changes.

What Should I look for to remove this permision and fix this issue.

I can send more details if necessary

Thanks
Stuart

More about : drives read attribute

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 22, 2005 8:38:57 PM

Hi,

From kb article:

You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549

Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder
with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and
System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the
folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows
Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
attributes of folders.

Note In some previous versions of Windows, you can change the Read-only
attribute for folders by using the Properties dialog box for the folder, but
no versions of Windows permit you to change the System attribute by using
Windows Explorer.

Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q256614

I hope this helps.

--
Mike