All Drives Have Read Only Attribute

Hello All:

I am using Windows 2003 Server and all the Directories and Files off the
Root C,D,E have the Read Only Attribute, When I try to remove the Read Only
Attribute off using either Explorer or the Attrib command nothing changes.

What Should I look for to remove this permision and fix this issue.

I can send more details if necessary

Thanks
Stuart
1 answer Last reply
More about drives read attribute

    Hi,

    From kb article:

    You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549

    Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
    folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
    and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder
    with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and
    System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the
    folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
    customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
    Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
    Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows
    Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
    attributes of folders.

    Note In some previous versions of Windows, you can change the Read-only
    attribute for folders by using the Properties dialog box for the folder, but
    no versions of Windows permit you to change the System attribute by using
    Windows Explorer.

    Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q256614

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Mike
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

    "Stuart Shay" <sshay@j51.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All:
    >
    > I am using Windows 2003 Server and all the Directories and Files off the
    > Root C,D,E have the Read Only Attribute, When I try to remove the Read
    > Only Attribute off using either Explorer or the Attrib command nothing
    > changes.
    >
    > What Should I look for to remove this permision and fix this issue.
    >
    > I can send more details if necessary
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stuart

Security Read Only Command Prompt Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Windows