component video-digital or analog?

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 1, 2004 4:11:15 PM

As I mentioned earlier I am getting a DVI cable and will run a digital
optical audio cable to my receiver. When I get the DVI I want audio for the
TV also. Are the component ports digital or analog? Can I use regular RCA
audio plugs in the inputs for audio that are in the same line as the
component video ports?

Dennis...if you are reading this you have the same TV as me. My component
cables are in my "video 6" ports. Under the 3 video ports are 2 audio
ports...this is what I am referring to.

Thanks!!

Eddie G
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 4:52:21 PM

"Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
> As I mentioned earlier I am getting a DVI cable and will run a digital
> optical audio cable to my receiver. When I get the DVI I want audio for
the
> TV also. Are the component ports digital or analog? Can I use regular
RCA
> audio plugs in the inputs for audio that are in the same line as the
> component video ports?
>
> Dennis...if you are reading this you have the same TV as me. My component
> cables are in my "video 6" ports. Under the 3 video ports are 2 audio
> ports...this is what I am referring to.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Eddie G

component is high bandwidth analog - similar to the connection from a PC to
a monitor except the colors are sent in a subtractive format instead of RGB
to faciliate noise cancelling since the cables are normally longer.

Use coax cables with RCA plugs just like video for the 3 component lines....
get ones with the correct color coding to make it easier to connect
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 5:33:57 PM

Thanks, Randy...I forgot to mention that I already have component video, so
I know about that...my question is regarding audio only.

Eddie

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Eddie G" <mickeddie at comcast.net> wrote in message
> > As I mentioned earlier I am getting a DVI cable and will run a digital
> > optical audio cable to my receiver. When I get the DVI I want audio for
> the
> > TV also. Are the component ports digital or analog? Can I use regular
> RCA
> > audio plugs in the inputs for audio that are in the same line as the
> > component video ports?
> >
> > Dennis...if you are reading this you have the same TV as me. My
component
> > cables are in my "video 6" ports. Under the 3 video ports are 2 audio
> > ports...this is what I am referring to.
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Eddie G
>
> component is high bandwidth analog - similar to the connection from a PC
> a monitor except the colors are sent in a subtractive format instead of
RGB
> to faciliate noise cancelling since the cables are normally longer.
>
> Use coax cables with RCA plugs just like video for the 3 component
lines....
> get ones with the correct color coding to make it easier to connect

August 1, 2004 6:29:40 PM

Eddie G wrote:

> As I mentioned earlier I am getting a DVI cable and will run a digital
> optical audio cable to my receiver. When I get the DVI I want audio for the
> TV also.
DVI carries a Digital Video HD signal only....
Run DVI cable from Cable box to the Sony #7... then
run two audio cables from Cable Box to TV #7 audio.
This will give you Dolby 2.0 Stereo.
FOR Dolby Digital 5.1 (IF transmitted over HD) you
need 1 coax or optical TOS link to an A/V Receiver &
Speaker system

Are the component ports digital or analog?
Component Video Cables carry an Analog HD signal.

Can I use regular RCA
> audio plugs in the inputs for audio that are in the same line as the
> component video ports?

For Audio Stereo... use any pair of RCA, Component, or
coax cables... Red & White work just fine..

> Dennis...if you are reading this you have the same TV as me. My component
> cables are in my "video 6" ports. Under the 3 video ports are 2 audio
> ports...this is what I am referring to.

Your Sony 34HS510 can not accept Dolby Digital 5.1
surround. Red & White RCA Audio cables will get
DD 2.0 stereo to your 3 Sony HDTV speakers....
34HS510 Sound system is pretty Good... Boomy too.

> Thanks!!
>
> Eddie G
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 7:07:31 PM

> Thanks, Randy...I forgot to mention that I already have component video,
so
> I know about that...my question is regarding audio only.
>
> Eddie

sorry

most HDTV's I have seen have only analog stereo inputs for the audio
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 11:50:03 PM

"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Your Sony 34HS510 can not accept Dolby Digital 5.1
> surround. Red & White RCA Audio cables will get
> DD 2.0 stereo to your 3 Sony HDTV speakers....
> 34HS510 Sound system is pretty Good... Boomy too.

I remember when "boomy" was a negative term used to describe poor quality
speakers.
!