Win98 pc to WinXP pc - F.A.S.T. with serial cable

March 6, 2005 10:09:03 AM

I am moving a friend from her Win98SE pc to a new Dell with WinXP Home. I run
the Files and Settings Transfer Widard and choose "Transfer Files and
Settings" via direct cable. They "find" eachother just fine via COM1 and both
machines show a synchronization with the process and estimated time
remaining. The collection and transfer seems to work fine (takes about 7
hours...) and the process finishes ok on the Win98 PC. However, the new PC
F.A.S.T. stops responding. I have run this twice now. Before I try something
else - has anyone had a similar experience? Seems like this should work and
fials and the end of the entire process.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 11:49:06 AM

Try using an external hard drive to save the file to on the 98 computer and
then move it to the XP for the write operation. I think that the serial
connection is the least reliable ways of using FAST. If a home network is
available that would be much better than by serial cable (in my opinion).

"Curt" <Curt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am moving a friend from her Win98SE pc to a new Dell with WinXP Home. I
>run
> the Files and Settings Transfer Widard and choose "Transfer Files and
> Settings" via direct cable. They "find" eachother just fine via COM1 and
> both
> machines show a synchronization with the process and estimated time
> remaining. The collection and transfer seems to work fine (takes about 7
> hours...) and the process finishes ok on the Win98 PC. However, the new PC
> F.A.S.T. stops responding. I have run this twice now. Before I try
> something
> else - has anyone had a similar experience? Seems like this should work
> and
> fials and the end of the entire process.
March 6, 2005 1:48:57 PM

In article <3543F79A-0FF2-4AE1-84EF-890CC59BF7A2@microsoft.com>,
Curt@discussions.microsoft.com, =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydA==?= says...

> I am moving a friend from her Win98SE pc to a new Dell with WinXP Home. I run
> the Files and Settings Transfer Widard and choose "Transfer Files and
> Settings" via direct cable. They "find" eachother just fine via COM1 and both
> machines show a synchronization with the process and estimated time
> remaining. The collection and transfer seems to work fine (takes about 7
> hours...) and the process finishes ok on the Win98 PC. However, the new PC
> F.A.S.T. stops responding. I have run this twice now. Before I try something
> else - has anyone had a similar experience? Seems like this should work and
> fials and the end of the entire process.

If you are just moving data files just pull the HD out of the old
machine slave it to the new machines drive or available IDE spot, boot
XP, it will see the drive, and grab all your data.........

Or if both machines have a NIC card get a crossover cable, network them
together and transfer files that way.....Helluva lot
faster........Buying a crossover cable really wouldn't be a waste if
they keep the old machine running also............

Just a thought...........
Related resources
March 6, 2005 2:25:02 PM

Thanks for your advice. I installed a NIC and got the Win98 pc on my network.
Ran the wizard, send the file to the new PC and launched the wizard on the
new pc pointing to the new file. It erros on the new pc - "Tell Microsoft
about this error..."

Do I need to boot as admin to run this utility?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Try using an external hard drive to save the file to on the 98 computer and
> then move it to the XP for the write operation. I think that the serial
> connection is the least reliable ways of using FAST. If a home network is
> available that would be much better than by serial cable (in my opinion).

> "Curt" <Curt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am moving a friend from her Win98SE pc to a new Dell with WinXP Home. I
> >run
> > the Files and Settings Transfer Widard and choose "Transfer Files and
> > Settings" via direct cable. They "find" eachother just fine via COM1 and
> > both
> > machines show a synchronization with the process and estimated time
> > remaining. The collection and transfer seems to work fine (takes about 7
> > hours...) and the process finishes ok on the Win98 PC. However, the new PC
> > F.A.S.T. stops responding. I have run this twice now. Before I try
> > something
> > else - has anyone had a similar experience? Seems like this should work
> > and
> > fials and the end of the entire process.

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:42:53 PM

I sure think so.

"Curt" <pcmech@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for your advice. I installed a NIC and got the Win98 pc on my
> network.
> Ran the wizard, send the file to the new PC and launched the wizard on the
> new pc pointing to the new file. It erros on the new pc - "Tell Microsoft
> about this error..."
>
> Do I need to boot as admin to run this utility?
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Try using an external hard drive to save the file to on the 98 computer
>> and
>> then move it to the XP for the write operation. I think that the serial
>> connection is the least reliable ways of using FAST. If a home network
>> is
>> available that would be much better than by serial cable (in my opinion).
>>
>> --
>> "Curt" <Curt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am moving a friend from her Win98SE pc to a new Dell with WinXP Home.
>> >run
>> > the Files and Settings Transfer Widard and choose "Transfer Files and
>> > Settings" via direct cable. They "find" eachother just fine via COM1
>> > and
>> > both
>> > machines show a synchronization with the process and estimated time
>> > remaining. The collection and transfer seems to work fine (takes about
>> > 7
>> > hours...) and the process finishes ok on the Win98 PC. However, the new
>> > PC
>> > F.A.S.T. stops responding. I have run this twice now. Before I try
>> > something
>> > else - has anyone had a similar experience? Seems like this should work
>> > and
>> > fials and the end of the entire process.

March 6, 2005 7:06:38 PM

In article <AC88D117-E590-4D30-9F82-132B01986898@microsoft.com>,
pcmech@comcast.net, =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydA==?= says...

> Thanks for your advice. I installed a NIC and got the Win98 pc on my network.
> Ran the wizard, send the file to the new PC and launched the wizard on the
> new pc pointing to the new file. It erros on the new pc - "Tell Microsoft
> about this error..."
>
> Do I need to boot as admin to run this utility?

What exactly are you trying to move? Why do you need that wizard anyway?
Are you just trying to transfer files/data?????

Share the drive on the old PC and access it through your network
neighborhood & use good old fashioned Copy/Paste...............

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 7:06:39 PM

As the OP said, he is moving his friends files from her old pc to her new
one. FAST is the right tool.

!