Windows NTFS Permissions

G'day all,

I'm currently moving directories from a Novell System to Microsoft. As much
as I would like to use the migration tools it is not feasiable at the moment
forcing me to use the xcopy command and it has worked fine. The issue is the
following:

In the existing Novell system users have a Folder X and below it the have
Folder Username and below it Folders A B and C. At the moment when the user
logs on they only see the folder that they own. Once I moved the folders into
the Windows System, the user logs on and can see the folder they own
including subfolders and they can also see they other users folders (but due
to permissions they are only allowed to see the contents in their own
folder). Is there a way so that when the user logs on that they see directly
into the folder they own with out displaying all other Subfolders underneath
Folder X?

Thnx

Welcome to the world of Windows. That is how it works. A user can see
folders he does not have permissions to but when he tries to access it he
should get an access denied. If I recall correctly, Microsoft personal have
stated in the past that this was by design for primarily performance
reasons. --- Steve

"braydan_99" <braydan99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> G'day all,
>
> I'm currently moving directories from a Novell System to Microsoft. As
> much
> as I would like to use the migration tools it is not feasiable at the
> moment
> forcing me to use the xcopy command and it has worked fine. The issue is
> the
> following:
>
> In the existing Novell system users have a Folder X and below it the have
> Folder Username and below it Folders A B and C. At the moment when the
> user
> logs on they only see the folder that they own. Once I moved the folders
> into
> the Windows System, the user logs on and can see the folder they own
> including subfolders and they can also see they other users folders (but
> due
> to permissions they are only allowed to see the contents in their own
> folder). Is there a way so that when the user logs on that they see
> directly
> into the folder they own with out displaying all other Subfolders
> underneath
> Folder X?
>
> Thnx

1. When you implement script for logon process for users home folders you may
use construction like this:
net use h: \\server\share\%username%

2. Try use Cloak from Scriptlogic (http://www.scriptlogic.com/cloak)