usb storage device could not installed

When I plug in any usb card reader/thumb drive, my windows 2k professional
could prompt me for drivers location. After I select c:\winnt\inf,
usbstor.inf could be selected but an error "An error occurred during the
installation of the deivce\nAccess is denied" would be displayed.

I have check the file permission for usb.inf/pnf and usbstor.inf/pnf and
FULL access is granted to
- Administrator
- Users
- System

and I am login with Administrative user accout already.

Any hints?

Look in Event Viewer to see if any pertinent errors are shown. The other thing
to try is to use the Security Configuration and Analysis snapin to analyze
computer security settings against the setup security.inf template. Look for
places that administrators do not have user rights compared to setup
security.inf and also check security options for variances that could also cause
a problem. The link below shows how to use the SCA tool. --- Steve

http://www.lokbox.net/SecureXP/secAnalysis.asp

"PrudyMania" <PrudyMania@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I plug in any usb card reader/thumb drive, my windows 2k professional
> could prompt me for drivers location. After I select c:\winnt\inf,
> usbstor.inf could be selected but an error "An error occurred during the
> installation of the deivce\nAccess is denied" would be displayed.
>
> I have check the file permission for usb.inf/pnf and usbstor.inf/pnf and
> FULL access is granted to
> - Administrator
> - Users
> - System
>
> and I am login with Administrative user accout already.
>
> Any hints?

Event log shows nothing. Suddenly, I recalled I have removed the file
permission of c:\winnt\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys for SYSTEM account.
After resetting it, everything becomes normal.

Thanks.

"Steven Umbach" wrote:

> Look in Event Viewer to see if any pertinent errors are shown. The other thing
> to try is to use the Security Configuration and Analysis snapin to analyze
> computer security settings against the setup security.inf template. Look for
> places that administrators do not have user rights compared to setup
> security.inf and also check security options for variances that could also cause
> a problem. The link below shows how to use the SCA tool. --- Steve
>
> http://www.lokbox.net/SecureXP/secAnalysis.asp
>
> "PrudyMania" <PrudyMania@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I plug in any usb card reader/thumb drive, my windows 2k professional
> > could prompt me for drivers location. After I select c:\winnt\inf,
> > usbstor.inf could be selected but an error "An error occurred during the
> > installation of the deivce\nAccess is denied" would be displayed.
> >
> > I have check the file permission for usb.inf/pnf and usbstor.inf/pnf and
> > FULL access is granted to
> > - Administrator
> > - Users
> > - System
> >
> > and I am login with Administrative user accout already.
> >
> > Any hints?

Glad to hear you got it working and thanks for reporting back what the fix
was. --- Steve