Need Help programmatically setting AD Permissions

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hey folks,
I am in desparate need of help to solve my problem.

I have written a service that examines a table in a database, and creates a
directory hierarchy based on data in the table. It then programmatically
grants and revokes privileges to groups on the different directories in the
hierarchy.

It creates the directories correctly, and on my XP development machine, it
assigns the privileges correctly.
When I deploy it to the target machine (Win 2k server), when I look at the
security in the directories, I get a message the that rights are out of
order. I have to manually go into explorer, look at securty and let it
reorder it for the privileges to work correctly.

I've used the knowledge base article (269159-How to use VB and ADsSecurity
to property order ACEs in and ACL) to write a reorder function.

The function, however, dies on the last line, calling the
SetSecurityDescriptor method with an ArgumentException. The helpful message
was "The parameter is incorrect".

Has anyone done this on a 2k machine, found the error, and know how to
"correct" the parameter?

I've seen a few other people on the web have this problem, but I couldn't
find any answers.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

You could try psexec to run the session locally. Psexec is at this link
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

This is assuming you have a rights issue.

"Buddy Robbins" <buddy.robbins@rimrockgroup.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I am in desparate need of help to solve my problem.
>
> I have written a service that examines a table in a database, and creates
> a directory hierarchy based on data in the table. It then
> programmatically grants and revokes privileges to groups on the different
> directories in the hierarchy.
>
> It creates the directories correctly, and on my XP development machine, it
> assigns the privileges correctly.
> When I deploy it to the target machine (Win 2k server), when I look at the
> security in the directories, I get a message the that rights are out of
> order. I have to manually go into explorer, look at securty and let it
> reorder it for the privileges to work correctly.
>
> I've used the knowledge base article (269159-How to use VB and ADsSecurity
> to property order ACEs in and ACL) to write a reorder function.
>
> The function, however, dies on the last line, calling the
> SetSecurityDescriptor method with an ArgumentException. The helpful
> message was "The parameter is incorrect".
>
> Has anyone done this on a 2k machine, found the error, and know how to
> "correct" the parameter?
>
> I've seen a few other people on the web have this problem, but I couldn't
> find any answers.

TRENDING THREADS