Modem on notebooks with Windows 2000 Prof

Hi

I have a security issue. How to control Modem usage in notebooks?

There is a way for disabiling it while connected to corporate LAN and
enabiling when disconnected?

They are members of a Windows 2000 Domain, so GP can be applyed.

Thanks in advance

Christian

I don't know of a way to do such with Group Policy. This is something that
you should strongly forbid in your computer user policy with stated
consequences. There is not a technical solution for everything. If you need
to revise your policy make sure that the users read it and sign a copy for
their files. --- Steve

"Chrsitian Thies [Ar]" <cthies@radiomitre.com.ar> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a security issue. How to control Modem usage in notebooks?
>
> There is a way for disabiling it while connected to corporate LAN and
> enabiling when disconnected?
>
> They are members of a Windows 2000 Domain, so GP can be applyed.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Christian

FWIW I could not think of a technical solution that would also
be sensitive automatically to where the laptop was connected.

--
Roger
> I don't know of a way to do such with Group Policy. This is something that
> you should strongly forbid in your computer user policy with stated
> consequences. There is not a technical solution for everything. If you
need
> to revise your policy make sure that the users read it and sign a copy for
> their files. --- Steve
>

> "Chrsitian Thies [Ar]" <cthies@radiomitre.com.ar> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a security issue. How to control Modem usage in notebooks?
> >
> > There is a way for disabiling it while connected to corporate LAN and
> > enabiling when disconnected?
> >
> > They are members of a Windows 2000 Domain, so GP can be applyed.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Christian

Hi Roger.

If you can't think of a technical solution then I believe there is not one,
or at least one that would come close to being actually workable :) Steve

> FWIW I could not think of a technical solution that would also
> be sensitive automatically to where the laptop was connected.
>
> --
> Roger
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I don't know of a way to do such with Group Policy. This is something
>> that
>> you should strongly forbid in your computer user policy with stated
>> consequences. There is not a technical solution for everything. If you
> need
>> to revise your policy make sure that the users read it and sign a copy
>> for
>> their files. --- Steve
>>

>> "Chrsitian Thies [Ar]" <cthies@radiomitre.com.ar> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a security issue. How to control Modem usage in notebooks?
>> >
>> > There is a way for disabiling it while connected to corporate LAN and
>> > enabiling when disconnected?
>> >
>> > They are members of a Windows 2000 Domain, so GP can be applyed.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Christian

It does however sound like a quite reasonable need.

I can imagine a startup script based solution, but it has a number
of issues (race condition on net stack initialization vs startup
script timing, etc..), but then there is issue of people like myself
that almost never reboot the laptop, instead hibernating it, etc..

You no doubt noticed the other post, about same time as this
wanting to disallow use of moden when network is connected
to the corp net, and its implied not interferring with use of the
modem when not on the corp net, its implied killing off of an
existing modem if the ether comes into the stack by a net sense
event, etc..
All very real needs.
--
Roger