Internet Explorer on the Pocket PC

May 18, 2005 4:37:05 PM

Has anyone found a better version of IE for the pocket PC. I can't access
half of my web sites with the version that came with the PC.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:43:53 PM

b wrote:
> Has anyone found a better version of IE for the pocket PC. I can't
> access half of my web sites with the version that came with the PC.

You're looking for Netfront. http://tinyurl.com/9vf4d

Tony
May 18, 2005 9:43:54 PM

Awsome - thanks! I don't understand why MS hasn't offered a fix yet.

"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> b wrote:
> > Has anyone found a better version of IE for the pocket PC. I can't
> > access half of my web sites with the version that came with the PC.
>
> You're looking for Netfront. http://tinyurl.com/9vf4d
>
> Tony

May 19, 2005 11:43:08 AM

I don't think it's a problem with Pocket IE. Some web designers think it is
cool to force users to use one broser type and check the broswer Agent
string - if it is not what they expect they simply give a stupid message.

Most of the sites work for me on Pocket IE. It does support a limited
JSCRIPT (which is a subset of Javascript), but no Java support, which I
don't complain - I tend not to visit sites that need Java aplets.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp

<b> wrote in message news:o E$4AU9WFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Awsome - thanks! I don't understand why MS hasn't offered a fix yet.
>
> "Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
>> b wrote:
>> > Has anyone found a better version of IE for the pocket PC. I can't
>> > access half of my web sites with the version that came with the PC.
>>
>> You're looking for Netfront. http://tinyurl.com/9vf4d
>>
>> Tony

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:43:09 AM

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>I don't think it's a problem with Pocket IE. Some web designers think it is
>cool to force users to use one broser type and check the broswer Agent
>string - if it is not what they expect they simply give a stupid message.

Wow, can I relate. I'll rant for a second.

My bank does this. It pisses me off to no end because I've verified that
there are no scripting or layout issues that wouldn't work on pocketie (btw,
I make mobile sites for xhtml/html/wml and know what I'm saying). Like you
mention though, they redirect me out of the system because my browser string
isn't in a list of "approved browsers". I'm amazed at the thought process
that lead to that decision. Why not let me try at least? I understand a
disclaimer, but have they tested every browser in existence?

> Most of the sites work for me on Pocket IE. It does support a limited
> JSCRIPT (which is a subset of Javascript), but no Java support, which I
> don't complain - I tend not to visit sites that need Java aplets.

My biggest scripting complaint in pocketie is the inability to change the
display dhtml/css property on the fly. Other than that, it works great.

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
>

> <b> wrote in message news:o E$4AU9WFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Awsome - thanks! I don't understand why MS hasn't offered a fix yet.
>>
>> "Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You're looking for Netfront. http://tinyurl.com/9vf4d
>>>
>>> Tony

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:13:32 PM

"Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Gy0d2DXFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>>I don't think it's a problem with Pocket IE. Some web designers think it
>>is cool to force users to use one broser type and check the broswer Agent
>>string - if it is not what they expect they simply give a stupid message.
>
> Wow, can I relate. I'll rant for a second.
>
> My bank does this. It pisses me off to no end because I've verified that
> there are no scripting or layout issues that wouldn't work on pocketie
> (btw, I make mobile sites for xhtml/html/wml and know what I'm saying).
> Like you mention though, they redirect me out of the system because my
> browser string isn't in a list of "approved browsers".<--snip-->

>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>> Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
>>

>> <b> wrote in message news:o E$4AU9WFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Awsome - thanks! I don't understand why MS hasn't offered a fix yet.
>>>
>>> "Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message

There is a program you can use to change the Pocket IE Browser Agent string
to something else, for example Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2. I do not remember
the name of the program though, im sure someone else will know it. It had
the word ''hack'' in its name is all I remember.
May 19, 2005 10:48:24 PM

yleas wrote:

> There is a program you can use to change the Pocket IE Browser Agent string
> to something else, for example Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2. I do not remember
> the name of the program though, im sure someone else will know it. It had
> the word ''hack'' in its name is all I remember.

Tweaks 2k.NET is the name.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

"yleas" <yleas@usnet.com> wrote in message
> "Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o Gy0d2DXFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>> message news:etI3xG%23WFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>I don't think it's a problem with Pocket IE. Some web designers think it
>>>is cool to force users to use one broser type and check the broswer Agent
>>>string - if it is not what they expect they simply give a stupid message.
>>
>> Wow, can I relate. I'll rant for a second.
>>
>> My bank does this. It pisses me off to no end because I've verified that
>> there are no scripting or layout issues that wouldn't work on pocketie
>> (btw, I make mobile sites for xhtml/html/wml and know what I'm saying).
>> Like you mention though, they redirect me out of the system because my
>> browser string isn't in a list of "approved browsers".<--snip-->
>
>>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>>> Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
>>> Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
>>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp

> There is a program you can use to change the Pocket IE Browser Agent
> string to something else, for example Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2. I do not
> remember the name of the program though, im sure someone else will know
> it. It had the word ''hack'' in its name is all I remember.

RegKingPlus
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:33:52 PM

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
news:D 6imhu$k56$4@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "yleas" <yleas@usnet.com> wrote in message
>> "Chance Hopkins" <chance_hopkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Gy0d2DXFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>>> message news:etI3xG%23WFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> Wow, can I relate. I'll rant for a second.
>>>
>>> My bank does this. It pisses me off to no end because I've verified that
>>> there are no scripting or layout issues that wouldn't work on pocketie
>>> (btw, I make mobile sites for xhtml/html/wml and know what I'm saying).
>>> Like you mention though, they redirect me out of the system because my
>>> browser string isn't in a list of "approved browsers".<--snip-->

>> There is a program you can use to change the Pocket IE Browser Agent
>> string to something else, for example Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2. I do not
>> remember the name of the program though, im sure someone else will know
>> it. It had the word ''hack'' in its name is all I remember.
>>

> RegKingPlus

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try this out and see how it goes.
!