Problems Accessing Messenger and Hotmail

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I cannot seem to access either Messenger or Hotmail from User Accounts which
are Limited, is this right ?

I have no problem accessing from an Administrator Account but did not want
all accounts to be set as administrator.

Please advise

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:43:06 -0800, Steve wrote:

> I cannot seem to access either Messenger or Hotmail from User Accounts which
> are Limited, is this right ?
>
> I have no problem accessing from an Administrator Account but did not want
> all accounts to be set as administrator.
>
> Please advise

Accessing hotmail and messenger would not be done from Control Panel.
Setting up a passport account with password can be done as long as there is
an internet connection available to these users (just tested with a limited
account here and was successful).

Can your limited users get to any website?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Sharon,

Thanks - but both have full internet access from their limited accounts, yet
neither Hotmail nor Messenger will accept them.

Steve

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:15:02 -0800, Steve wrote:

> Sharon,
>
> Thanks - but both have full internet access from their limited accounts, yet
> neither Hotmail nor Messenger will accept them.
>
> Steve

Steve, let's back up a step. How are you accessing hotmail or messenger
from Control Panel?

Both of these utilize .NET passport. Whenever folks have a hard time
authenticating with passport, deleting cookies for the sites that require
passport and any cookies for .passport usually helps. Do this while logged
on to each of the accounts having trouble.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi Sharon,

I have deleted their Cookies and still cannot get access.

We are not using the Control Panel, but are either typing in the URL or
using a hyperlink from an MSN web Page. Both affected users have full access
to everything else and when using my Administrator Account can also access
their Messenger and Hotmail Accounts.

The problem seems to lie in their Limited User accounts. I have also
uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. What next ? They girls are giving
me a hard time !!

Steve

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:01:14 -0800, Steve wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> I have deleted their Cookies and still cannot get access.
>
> We are not using the Control Panel, but are either typing in the URL or
> using a hyperlink from an MSN web Page. Both affected users have full access
> to everything else and when using my Administrator Account can also access
> their Messenger and Hotmail Accounts.
>
> The problem seems to lie in their Limited User accounts. I have also
> uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. What next ? They girls are giving
> me a hard time !!
>
> Steve

Passport and hotmail are both known to get flakey at times. A friend was
having trouble with Passport this weekend but this would not explain why
only limited accounts on your system cannot access. In fact, I can't think
of any reason for that unless there's a setting in a third party firewall,
or software for monitoring/limiting kids on the internet involved. Perhaps
antivirus protection that blocks scripts at a website? Hotmail will drop
accounts if they have not been used in a while but that doesn't seem to
apply here? May want to check with hotmail tech support to see what they
have to suggest.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User