Problems Accessing Messenger and Hotmail

I cannot seem to access either Messenger or Hotmail from User Accounts which
are Limited, is this right ?

I have no problem accessing from an Administrator Account but did not want
all accounts to be set as administrator.

Please advise
5 answers Last reply
More about problems accessing messenger hotmail

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:43:06 -0800, Steve wrote:

    > I cannot seem to access either Messenger or Hotmail from User Accounts which
    > are Limited, is this right ?
    >
    > I have no problem accessing from an Administrator Account but did not want
    > all accounts to be set as administrator.
    >
    > Please advise

    Accessing hotmail and messenger would not be done from Control Panel.
    Setting up a passport account with password can be done as long as there is
    an internet connection available to these users (just tested with a limited
    account here and was successful).

    Can your limited users get to any website?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon,

    Thanks - but both have full internet access from their limited accounts, yet
    neither Hotmail nor Messenger will accept them.

    Steve

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:15:02 -0800, Steve wrote:

    > Sharon,
    >
    > Thanks - but both have full internet access from their limited accounts, yet
    > neither Hotmail nor Messenger will accept them.
    >
    > Steve

    Steve, let's back up a step. How are you accessing hotmail or messenger
    from Control Panel?

    Both of these utilize .NET passport. Whenever folks have a hard time
    authenticating with passport, deleting cookies for the sites that require
    passport and any cookies for .passport usually helps. Do this while logged
    on to each of the accounts having trouble.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Hi Sharon,

    I have deleted their Cookies and still cannot get access.

    We are not using the Control Panel, but are either typing in the URL or
    using a hyperlink from an MSN web Page. Both affected users have full access
    to everything else and when using my Administrator Account can also access
    their Messenger and Hotmail Accounts.

    The problem seems to lie in their Limited User accounts. I have also
    uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. What next ? They girls are giving
    me a hard time !!

    Steve

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:01:14 -0800, Steve wrote:

    > Hi Sharon,
    >
    > I have deleted their Cookies and still cannot get access.
    >
    > We are not using the Control Panel, but are either typing in the URL or
    > using a hyperlink from an MSN web Page. Both affected users have full access
    > to everything else and when using my Administrator Account can also access
    > their Messenger and Hotmail Accounts.
    >
    > The problem seems to lie in their Limited User accounts. I have also
    > uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. What next ? They girls are giving
    > me a hard time !!
    >
    > Steve

    Passport and hotmail are both known to get flakey at times. A friend was
    having trouble with Passport this weekend but this would not explain why
    only limited accounts on your system cannot access. In fact, I can't think
    of any reason for that unless there's a setting in a third party firewall,
    or software for monitoring/limiting kids on the internet involved. Perhaps
    antivirus protection that blocks scripts at a website? Hotmail will drop
    accounts if they have not been used in a while but that doesn't seem to
    apply here? May want to check with hotmail tech support to see what they
    have to suggest.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User