Need help please. My system is as follows:

Gigiabyte 965 DS3 rev2
OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR800 4-4-4-
Evga 8800gts
2 x Westerndigital 250GB HDD's
XFI Sounf card - Fatal1ty
Enermax noisetaker 600 Watt PSU
Generic huge Server case

I want to get a good heatsink for doing some overclocking.

Here are my options:
1. Coolermaster AQUAGATE (RL-HUC-E8U1/E8U2)
2. Any Termaltake HSF
3. Any Zalman HSF

These are basically all the products I can get in my area.

I mught land up maving my PC alot so I dont know what to go for.

I have my eye on the aquagate.

Can anyone tell me if its good or not, it not please make a few suggestions.

Bye the way whats a good gaming KB as well.

Logitech G15, Razor Tarantula, Zboard......

Thanks
February 19, 2007 3:43:19 PM

Maybe better english might help me:

Gigabyte 965 DS3 rev2
OCZ Platinum Rev 2 DDR800 4-4-4-15
Evga 8800gts 640MB
2 x Westerndigital 250GB HDD's
XFI Sound card - Fatal1ty
Enermax noisetaker 600 Watt PSU
Generic huge Server case

I want to get a good heatsink for doing some overclocking.

Here are my options:
1. Coolermaster AQUAGATE (RL-HUC-E8U1/E8U2)
2. Any Termaltake HSF
3. Any Zalman HSF

These are basically all the products I can get in my area.

I might land up moving my PC alot so I dont know what to go for.

I have my eye on the aquagate.

Can anyone tell me if its good or not, if not please make a few suggestions.

By the way whats a good gaming KB as well.

Logitech G15, Razor Tarantula, Zboard......

Thanks
February 19, 2007 4:30:12 PM

Your English is fine, don't worry about that.

Bump^
Related resources
February 19, 2007 5:24:30 PM

Quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=293...
Here is a review of some of the top-perfoming air coolers, most likely any of these will do the job, but you can see for yourself the Tuniq tower has outstanding price/performance.

Read the question that the OP stated. The Tuniq was not on the option list. He said that only a Coolermaster Aquagate or coolers from Thermaltake or Zalman are available to him.

To the OP, I haven't read anything about the Coolermaster Aquagate so I can't comment on that cooler, but Thermaltake has a cooler similar to the Tuniq Tower, the ThermalTake CL-P0024, which should do what you want. The Zalman 9700 is also good, but a bit more expensive and doesn't cool quite as well.
February 19, 2007 6:28:18 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly forsome strange reason the supplier doesnt have the cl-p0024.

But they do have the following:

cl-p0025 : according to the website it can do 775
cl-p0114
cl-p0086
cl-p0071

any ideas which is best?

Thanks again
February 20, 2007 1:47:52 AM

If the CL-P0071 with its optional fan can fit into your case, it will do a fair job. If not, then the Zalman 9700 will work pretty good. I run a 9500 and it does fine on my FX60, and a 9700 would give 2-3c cooler temps.
February 20, 2007 8:13:47 AM

I'm running the cooler master Aquagate (can't remember the model offhand, it's the LGA775 version) and, so far, haven't been having any problems moving it around or using it.

I'm keeping a Pentium D 805 2.66GHz (OCed to 3.3GHz @ FSB166) at around 37°C idle, up to 47°C under load. The PC goes into work 2 or 3 times a week as a display piece, and no problems so far ITO moving it around.

Takes up 2 5.25" drive bays, but you've got a server case so you can get away with internal installation. If you decide to go external with it, it allows that as well (no modification needed) and has nice little non-leaking plugs for the pipes - just make sure you take them off using a cloth to prevent spills.

So far, the negative points are that the fan is incredibly loud on full and noticeable on medium, plus internal installation *requires* a full-tower or server case, otherwise the bastard won't go in properly. It also adds a fair amount of weight onto the box ITO moving it around, but at least you won't have to worry about some huge heatsink snapping your CPU off the motherboard in transit.
February 20, 2007 8:22:25 AM

I took Arctic Cooler Pro. And I'm happy. Three times cheaper than Zalman and almost as good.
February 20, 2007 9:00:09 AM

My south african brother,

you say it will do the job.

Will I get some decent ocing as well?

Sonic Informed is selling it dirt cheap.

Is this better to use instead of air cooling?

Basically is better than the best aircooling around?
February 20, 2007 9:40:48 AM

Got mine from Sonic... you in JHB or Cape Town?

It does the job pretty well. I was only capable of around 2.8~3GHz (FSB140~150) on air, temps spiking as high as 75°, now they're dead stable at 3.3GHz/45° (right this moment).

The only air cooling that will work better will be more expensive, and won't let you OC as high either.
February 20, 2007 11:01:36 AM

In JHB,

Sonic has no stock :-( end of march they say.

By any chance do u have one for sale now?

Need some arctic silver 5 as well. Where can I get?
February 20, 2007 1:02:15 PM

Sonic CPT has, our shop (EITS) sells them for R740. Problem is, I don't trust the couriers we have down here, not since they demolished an Inspiron 2650 for me in '02. Other problem is that we're based in the Strand.

I'm pretty certain we can work something out though. If you have access to a tame reliable courier/someone on holiday down here, PM me.

AS5 in SA is a complete rarity - the only people I know who use it had to order it online - I'm using some JetArt nanosilver product which has (so far) given me pretty good service. The Aquagate comes with a tube of pretty nice silicon-based gel, though. I'm also convinced they were assuming they were going to be dealing with heavy-handed idiots, as I've used it on about 8 PCs so far (ran out of thermal paste at the shop) and still have about 2/3 of a tube left. The JetArt stuff I normally use, one tube = ~30 PCs.

If your PC components are still new, then I would advise letting it all run at stock speed for the first two to three months to let the components 'settle'. This should also give you some breathing space with the Aquagate.
February 20, 2007 1:38:54 PM

Quote:
I took Arctic Cooler Pro. And I'm happy. Three times cheaper than Zalman and almost as good.

It's not among the choices the OP listed. Did you read his question?
February 20, 2007 4:20:12 PM

Quote:
Might not fit, its very big. Also if I move my pc it might fall off!

Any ideas on the coolermaster hyper tx intel

Hyper TX (Intel) (RR-PCH-S9U1-GP)

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Langua...

Hi again. I'm not sure if the Coolermaster Hyper would do as good a job as a Zalman 9700. Check the price difference and choose from there. The tower type coolers are pretty big and require a larger case to fit properly, but they are the best among air cooled heatsinks. But, if its too big, then it doesn't matter.

It looks like someone replied that has experience with the Aquagate, so he can answer those questions better. Noise is a problem for me, as I like as quiet a computer as I can get, but noise is something that affects everybody differently, i.e. what one person thinks is noisy, another thinks is just fine.
February 25, 2007 3:07:55 PM

I am in love with my Big Typhoon. A. its Big and B. it kept my E6600 under 40 OCed at 2.8 I have a Tarantula and love it and keep away from ZBoard like the plague they are money piuts more than a 76 sailboat :) 
February 25, 2007 6:57:31 PM

Quote:
I am in love with my Big Typhoon. A. its Big and B. it kept my E6600 under 40 OCed at 2.8 I have a Tarantula and love it and keep away from ZBoard like the plague they are money piuts more than a 76 sailboat :) 

Tarantulas are ok. I know a few people who keep spiders on their boats so the spiders eat up any bugs that get on board. Well fed spiders, happy sailers. The boat may seen like a money pit, but I don't think its much worse than my house. Besides, you can't beat making landfall in Tahiti and having a bunch of half naked girls come swarming on board the boat.
February 25, 2007 8:17:24 PM

I know off topic but where did you get your Avatar pic Tacos Could i get a copy to show soem of my friends i have told them and we have had some serious laughs.
February 25, 2007 8:24:24 PM

Thanks and also I have heard that if cash isn't an issue than Freezone is the sh**. Or just a straight TEC is good. Can't remember the name of one off the top of my head.
February 25, 2007 8:31:31 PM

That it will and Freezone is TEC cooled not aircooled EDIT: you said weak TEC sry read your post but didn't click I'm going on 5-6 hours no food dinners cooking EDIT which I suppose is air in a sense but it should be distingushed from just a fan. And I didn't mention water kits sense we were talking CPU coolers not entire kits. Phase Change is awesome that OCZ thing is gonna rock. Of course if money is really worth NOTHING than for 15k you can get your processor to -240 sumin Celsius lol
February 25, 2007 8:33:57 PM

i say: the big typhoon! it`s really big but cool and not too expensive.
it`s a great cooler.

my 6600 runs @ 3gz and is 42C stressed so it does a fairly good job.
February 25, 2007 8:35:58 PM

and for further emphasis ITS BIG and cool looking i love mine if you're insecure and want something thast huge and honking the Big Typhoon is for you
February 25, 2007 8:46:18 PM

Ya I would wait for the Geminii It will and Taco says so and from my short period here on TH Forumz He knows a lot
February 26, 2007 11:09:35 AM

Looks HUGE. Might just fall of my motherboard when I move my pc.

There must be ways of securing the hSF further. Stap it down as well or something. Ayone have any ideas on that?

Bought the Logitech G15 keyboard and the G7 laser mouse, together they rock!

One more question if anyone can help.
I have two 250gb WD SATA drives and one 80gb SATA Drive.

Plan on using th 80 as the boot drive with the os.

What should I do with the 2 250's. Should I run them in a striped raid mode or what? Also waht is the best cluster size and partition size?

Whats the best I can do....

Thanks
February 26, 2007 4:01:35 PM

Quote:
thanks, I wouldn't say know a lot, but I have a very knowledgable mentor that I discuss these things with and we both agree the geminii is the best bet people will have for a while, espeicially considering this is a cooler designed for quad cores, so it should have substantial cooling power. But come on, it's HUGE, it has massive heatpipes, dual 120mm fans, practically silent, and it has taco's seal of approval :lol: 

I can see it now, the point will come when we have to buy a separate case to hold the cpu heatsink, or at least make a "heatsink buldge" on the case side. I thought the Tuniq Tower was bad enough.
February 26, 2007 9:46:43 PM

I dont think it would fall off unless your talking irresponsible moving of it not secured well but if its moving in that fashion tit falling off is the least of your worries
February 26, 2007 10:51:50 PM

Quote:
I dont think it would fall off unless your talking irresponsible moving of it not secured well but if its moving in that fashion tit falling off is the least of your worries

I ws joking a bit, but also alluding to the fact that with a Tuniq Tower in place, you can't get at the ram easily, or see the lights on it, or much of the motherboard itself. The point comes where its more practical to have liquid cooling and a radiator outside the case then a monster heatsink and fan inside the case.
February 27, 2007 1:03:40 PM

i had the aquagate cooling in my last system a Athlon 64 3500+. it allowed me to take my overclock far beyond what i had originally planned. the best thing about it was the temps, idle at 29C max load at 100% it only got to 35C, this thing will keep your temps way down. i recommend it.
February 28, 2007 6:20:26 AM

This will be the second rig I've watercooled - the first being a palomino 2000+ which had a major heat issue for some reason. ('03/'04) My guess was I happened to buy a dud. Still makes a good socket A test processor, though...

The only way I could get that processor down below about 65°C IDLE was with a car radiator with a single extractor fan blowing the air out. Thing was, the entire side panel of the case was the rad (and the temps still hovered ~45° as I recall). I kinda prefer the aquagate - it's MUUUUCH more compact.

The first WC I saw/made was practically the size of the case. The second takes up 2x 5.25" bays. I wonder how big the third will be?
February 28, 2007 3:35:27 PM

Quote:
heh, that's be interesting, water coolers getting smaller than air coolers

I was thinking of the reverse; air coolers getting bigger than water coolers.
February 28, 2007 4:09:50 PM

Quote:
That's what I meant, the aircoolers get so big the water coolers are smaller

Ok, same thought, just different ways of expressing it.
February 28, 2007 4:43:38 PM

It is great, cheap and easy to install. My temps. according to Sandra are between 25-30 at iddle and 35-40 under load. I do not overclock.
8)
March 1, 2007 6:30:54 AM

One thing where most liquid-cooled setups will always beat an air cooled setup is the general public 'wow' factor.

The stock coolant supplied is IMO about half the problem with the Aquagate. The other half of the problem is the radiator doesn't take to a heavier heat load so well. Above a certain threshold it can't maintain anymore - this was somewhat improved using some weird industrial coolant instead of the reference stuff. Don't ask me what its official name is, what's printed on the bottle (directly onto the plastic, no labels) is a bunch of random-seeming letters and numbers. I got the stuff from the chemical engineering department at the local university, added it yesterday sometime, and dropped my temps about a further 5°C.

My next step is another radiator, then a GPU waterblock.
March 1, 2007 1:31:53 PM

Quote:
ocz's cryo that's coming up for only $300

Did you ever hear anything more about that btw? (release date??) It looks like a really nice setup from the review that I read.
March 2, 2007 5:16:41 AM

I'm unfortunately one of those people who looks for weaknesses and strengthens them.

Looking inside the Aquagate, the components are all the most stable balance I've seen in such a system. Unfortunately, it can only do so much with what it has. The solution? MODIFY :twisted:

I'm knocking a few ideas around, but any modding on my cooler will have to wait until my UPSU concept is going through the final testing stage.
March 2, 2007 2:18:05 PM

Quote:
Modding it would be a necissity on that cooler, but look at it this way, a water cooler is just like a car or computer, it performs only as good as it weakest bottleneck. So in order to get any worthwhile increase, you'd have to replace every single part in it, so in other words, just build a custom kit from scratch, which makes it pointless to buy the augate :wink:

Not quite Taco. The correct procedure would be to first find the strongest and the weakest links. Then you would strengthen the weakest link to the value of the strongest, then again look for a weak link. At the point that the system is balanced, you are done. This may involve replacing only one link, or it may have more than one weak link. A homebuilt system would be no better, with the exception that you might identify some weak links before you bought them. Then again, few things on paper work exactly the same when put to reality.

As for packaged water coolers, my minimal experience has been that they are slightly better than the stock air coolers, and much quieter. I would guess that the Aquagate does a good job, the one its intended to do, but it falls short when put to the demands of extreme overclockers. Its when a pserson tries to do things that the hardware wasn't designed to do that trouble starts, and its at that time that exotic water coolers have to be built.
March 2, 2007 3:17:26 PM

As you say, it no doubt performs quieter and better than most (stock) aircoolers. For many people, that is all they want. It all depends on the desired end result. For an extreme overclocker, I have no arguement that a custom built system will do a better job, or at least a packaged system from one of the high end builders.

Due to living in Nevada, I'm very interested in anything that cools decently without making a lot of noise. As such, for my next build, I'll be looking into some water coolers.
March 2, 2007 3:50:04 PM

I've looked at the Gemini. It puts new meaning on the phrase "Monster". Put that thing on and you can't see the motherboard or anything. The lights on my ram would disappear.

On my FX60, I find that the 9500 that I have on it now keeps it cool enough without problem all the way to 3150 mhz. The Corsair ram quits before the cpu gets hot. I've been looking at some OCZ ram for the next computer, possibly the watercooled set. Don't know for sure yet, as the build is still about 2-3 months away.
March 2, 2007 4:16:06 PM

Being born in North Dakota, I'm a bit familiar with Michigan and its chilly winters.

As to the next computer, I'm starting to gather parts now, like a Raptor 150 gig. I'm looking at monitors and cases, but haven't decided on which yet. I have time, so am not in the greatest hurry. The cpu, motherboard and graphics card are unspecified so far, as I don't know what will be available at that time. I'm hoping that AMD will finally release the R600 and their new cpu by that time so that I can take a look at the benches and prices.

Cases are a perplexing thing. My 6 year old Alienware uses a Chieftec Dragon which has been a very good case and its cheap to buy. I really wonder when I see some cases going for as much as $400. I mean, what is it they they do which is so much better, other than a name and a high price for snob appeal? There are a couple other cases I've looked at, but no descision made yet.
March 2, 2007 5:40:47 PM

If you want a dumb-free set up, coolermaster aquagatemini is great and not that expensive
March 2, 2007 6:28:44 PM

As Taco said, I'm not interested at all in the Aqugate mini, nor would it fit my purposes at all.
March 2, 2007 9:38:59 PM

I've got a 900 I like it except for the fact that the stock 120mms suck. They blow good when on all the way but than they are loud as hell. I am going to replace em with Noctua's but besides that I love the case. O ya and it is heavy being steel. Also don't even think about running the cords behind the mobo tray seeing as its also steel and impossible to cut conventionally.
March 3, 2007 4:29:42 PM

AWESOME!!! I was under the impression it was impossible. What did you use to cut it?
March 3, 2007 7:25:18 PM

A simple way to cut holes is to use a drill with a holesaw. The drill bit centers where you want the hole and stabilizes the cutting teeth on the saw. Doing this, you could quickly punch through even the toughest case.
March 3, 2007 8:04:18 PM

Its like the old carpenter's saying, measure twice, cut once. You have to figure out where you want the hole centered, use a needle punch to mark the spot and place the drill bit there. Do it right the first time, and you look like a genius and master craftsman.
March 5, 2007 5:20:14 AM

Measure 5 times, cut once. And if anyone brags about being careless, don't trust their work.
April 16, 2007 1:46:15 PM

Hi There Mugz, how goes things with you?

We're not doing too well with the cricket, SA is really #$@#ing things up.

Anyway, I finally got an aquagate, hows things going with yours and what sort of mods have you made?

I have an e6400 and I dont know what temp limits to set on the fan temp and cpu temp until alarm and shutdown.

When I do use prime 95 and torture the proc it shuts down on the default 37.9 degress thats set for the water tank temp.

What should I set the cpu and tank to?

Also whats your sustem temp like? and what should it be?

I'm thinking of adding another radiator or heater core radiator to keep the the fan speed at 1 and the noise down.

Let me know.......

Cheers
April 17, 2007 1:44:51 AM

I've been using a cooler master water cooling system modified and it has done a splendid job, also I have an areogate digital display and it too has lived up to its white paper monitoring specks. I would suggest any coolermaster or areogate or aquagate product.
April 17, 2007 2:44:38 AM

Quote:
Measure 5 times, cut once. And if anyone brags about being careless, don't trust their work.

I built my case with an abaccus and a length of rawhide to measure. I just dropped a big rock on a piece of oak and made the pieces into a case. I'm careless.
!