Setting Act As Part of Operating System - VBScript

I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to have the
right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a complete
newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get this
functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?
11 answers Last reply
More about setting part operating system vbscript

    "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to have
    the
    > right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a
    complete
    > newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get this
    > functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?

    Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
    to a user or group (where you create the security
    principal.)

    A Group Policy can also do this.

    --
    Herb Martin

    I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again I'm a
    newbie to VBScripting.

    "Herb Martin" wrote:

    > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to have
    > the
    > > right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a
    > complete
    > > newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get this
    > > functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
    > to a user or group (where you create the security
    > principal.)
    >
    > A Group Policy can also do this.
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin

    I will also say that this sounds like a bad thing to do.

    That said, there is no direct way to grant user rights to accounts
    from script in Windows 2000 and later. You can however
    shell out to an execution of such as NTrights.exe from the
    resource kit. User Rights are policies, and there is no script
    interface for setting the values of policies.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
    I'm a
    > newbie to VBScripting.
    >
    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to
    have
    > > the
    > > > right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a
    > > complete
    > > > newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get
    this
    > > > functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
    > > to a user or group (where you create the security
    > > principal.)
    > >
    > > A Group Policy can also do this.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin

    "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
    I'm a
    > newbie to VBScripting.

    You might do better posting such a question
    to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.

    I could go look it up but don't know how to
    do it off the top of my head like some of those
    folks might.

    My first approach would be to search MS Dev
    areas using Google with something like:

    [ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]

    Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:

    I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
    words into the site searchs above instead of the other
    key words -- or in addition.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    > I will also say that this sounds like a bad thing to do.
    >
    > That said, there is no direct way to grant user rights to accounts
    > from script in Windows 2000 and later. You can however
    > shell out to an execution of such as NTrights.exe from the
    > resource kit. User Rights are policies, and there is no script
    > interface for setting the values of policies.

    I don't know about it being impossible but
    even ignoring the security issue from a management
    point of view it is better to do it another way
    (and easier to program):

    Build a GROUP for this purpose -- give it all
    rights and privileges the "users" will need.

    Then have the script put the user in that group.

    (User will need to re-logon for it to take effect
    but that is true for direct rights assingment anyway.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
    > I'm a
    > > newbie to VBScripting.
    > >
    > > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > have
    > > > the
    > > > complete
    > this
    > > >
    > > > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
    > > > to a user or group (where you create the security
    > > > principal.)
    > > >
    > > > A Group Policy can also do this.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Herb Martin

    Herb,

    I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
    There is no programmatic interface available to script
    for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
    It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
    but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
    the values of policies.

    --
    > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
    > I'm a
    > > newbie to VBScripting.
    > >

    > You might do better posting such a question
    > to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.
    >
    > I could go look it up but don't know how to
    > do it off the top of my head like some of those
    > folks might.
    >
    > My first approach would be to search MS Dev
    > areas using Google with something like:
    >
    > [ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]
    >
    > Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:
    >
    > I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
    > words into the site searchs above instead of the other
    > key words -- or in addition.)
    >

    > --
    > Herb Martin
    >

    > > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > have
    > > > the
    > > > complete
    > this
    > > >
    > > > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
    > > > to a user or group (where you create the security
    > > > principal.)
    > > >
    > > > A Group Policy can also do this.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Herb Martin

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    > Herb,
    >
    > I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
    > There is no programmatic interface available to script
    > for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
    > It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
    > but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
    > the values of policies.

    I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
    after thinking about it this seems to make much
    more sense if he just creates a group and uses
    the scripting to add them to the group.

    That is easy and even the right way to grant
    rights and other privileges anyway.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once
    again
    > > I'm a
    > > > newbie to VBScripting.
    > > >

    > > You might do better posting such a question
    > > to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.
    > >
    > > I could go look it up but don't know how to
    > > do it off the top of my head like some of those
    > > folks might.
    > >
    > > My first approach would be to search MS Dev
    > > areas using Google with something like:
    > >
    > > [ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]
    > >
    > > Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:
    > >
    > > I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
    > > words into the site searchs above instead of the other
    > > key words -- or in addition.)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Herb Martin

    > > have
    > > this

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
    > > Herb,
    > >
    > > I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
    > > There is no programmatic interface available to script
    > > for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
    > > It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
    > > but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
    > > the values of policies.
    >
    > I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
    > after thinking about it this seems to make much
    > more sense if he just creates a group and uses
    > the scripting to add them to the group.
    >
    > That is easy and even the right way to grant
    > rights and other privileges anyway.
    >
    > --
    > Herb Martin

    Herb,

    Beginning with W2k User Rights is a section in the
    local security policy, and in all GPOs.
    There is no API for setting any policy values from script.

    What you state about use of a group is absolutely
    right. However, that only chases the posters issue
    back one level: does group exist yet, and has it been
    granted the user right? If not, the installer would need
    to make it so. For that OP would need to resort to
    shelling out from their script to an exe like NTrights.

    --
    Roger
    > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > again
    > > > I'm a
    > > > >

    > > > You might do better posting such a question
    > > > to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.
    > > >
    > > > I could go look it up but don't know how to
    > > > do it off the top of my head like some of those
    > > > folks might.
    > > >
    > > > My first approach would be to search MS Dev
    > > > areas using Google with something like:
    > > >
    > > > [ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]
    > > >
    > > > Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:
    > > >
    > > > I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
    > > > words into the site searchs above instead of the other
    > > > key words -- or in addition.)
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Herb Martin

    > > > have
    I'm
    > get
    > > > this

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    My script first creates the user. Then I assign rights like "Act as part
    of the operating system" As for groups I don't need to create one. I just
    need to specify rights for this one user. So you're saying I can only do
    this in C++ with WMI API?

    Wheter it's wise or not doesn't matter to me. I'm developing an install
    shield to do this preinstallation requirements for a third party Software
    that requires this specific user with those rights.

    I'm really having a hard time figuring out how to automate this task. I've
    tried everything in Google.

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

    > > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
    > > > Herb,
    > > >
    > > > I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
    > > > There is no programmatic interface available to script
    > > > for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
    > > > It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
    > > > but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
    > > > the values of policies.
    > >
    > > I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
    > > after thinking about it this seems to make much
    > > more sense if he just creates a group and uses
    > > the scripting to add them to the group.
    > >
    > > That is easy and even the right way to grant
    > > rights and other privileges anyway.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > Herb,
    >
    > Beginning with W2k User Rights is a section in the
    > local security policy, and in all GPOs.
    > There is no API for setting any policy values from script.
    >
    > What you state about use of a group is absolutely
    > right. However, that only chases the posters issue
    > back one level: does group exist yet, and has it been
    > granted the user right? If not, the installer would need
    > to make it so. For that OP would need to resort to
    > shelling out from their script to an exe like NTrights.
    >
    > --
    > Roger
    > > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    > > again

    > created
    > I'm
    > > get

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    Thanks guys. I did it in C++ just fine. I was looking for a way in
    VBScript but it just doesn't seem to be out there.

    "Roger Abell" wrote:

    > > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
    > > > Herb,
    > > >
    > > > I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
    > > > There is no programmatic interface available to script
    > > > for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
    > > > It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
    > > > but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
    > > > the values of policies.
    > >
    > > I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
    > > after thinking about it this seems to make much
    > > more sense if he just creates a group and uses
    > > the scripting to add them to the group.
    > >
    > > That is easy and even the right way to grant
    > > rights and other privileges anyway.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > Herb,
    >
    > Beginning with W2k User Rights is a section in the
    > local security policy, and in all GPOs.
    > There is no API for setting any policy values from script.
    >
    > What you state about use of a group is absolutely
    > right. However, that only chases the posters issue
    > back one level: does group exist yet, and has it been
    > granted the user right? If not, the installer would need
    > to make it so. For that OP would need to resort to
    > shelling out from their script to an exe like NTrights.
    >
    > --
    > Roger
    > > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    > > again

    > created
    > I'm
    > > get

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

    > Thanks guys. I did it in C++ just fine. I was looking for a way in
    > VBScript but it just doesn't seem to be out there.

    It isn't

    --
    Roger
    > "Roger Abell" wrote:
    >
    > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message

    > > > I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
    > > > after thinking about it this seems to make much
    > > > more sense if he just creates a group and uses
    > > > the scripting to add them to the group.
    > > >
    > > > That is easy and even the right way to grant
    > > > rights and other privileges anyway.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Herb Martin
    > > >

    > > Herb,
    > >
    > > Beginning with W2k User Rights is a section in the
    > > local security policy, and in all GPOs.
    > > There is no API for setting any policy values from script.
    > >
    > > What you state about use of a group is absolutely
    > > right. However, that only chases the posters issue
    > > back one level: does group exist yet, and has it been
    > > granted the user right? If not, the installer would need
    > > to make it so. For that OP would need to resort to
    > > shelling out from their script to an exe like NTrights.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roger
    Once
    > > > again