Setting Act As Part of Operating System - VBScript

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
February 25, 2005 2:11:03 PM

I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to have the
right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a complete
newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get this
functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:28:37 PM

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to have
the
> right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a
complete
> newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get this
> functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
to a user or group (where you create the security
principal.)

A Group Policy can also do this.

--
Herb Martin
February 25, 2005 6:28:38 PM

I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again I'm a
newbie to VBScripting.

"Herb Martin" wrote:

> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to have
> the
> > right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a
> complete
> > newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get this
> > functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?
>
> Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
> to a user or group (where you create the security
> principal.)
>
> A Group Policy can also do this.
>
> --
> Herb Martin

February 25, 2005 9:11:17 PM

I will also say that this sounds like a bad thing to do.

That said, there is no direct way to grant user rights to accounts
from script in Windows 2000 and later. You can however
shell out to an execution of such as NTrights.exe from the
resource kit. User Rights are policies, and there is no script
interface for setting the values of policies.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
I'm a
> newbie to VBScripting.
>
> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to
have
> > the
> > > right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a
> > complete
> > > newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get
this
> > > functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
> > to a user or group (where you create the security
> > principal.)
> >
> > A Group Policy can also do this.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:24:10 PM

"Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
I'm a
> newbie to VBScripting.

You might do better posting such a question
to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.

I could go look it up but don't know how to
do it off the top of my head like some of those
folks might.

My first approach would be to search MS Dev
areas using Google with something like:

[ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]

Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:

I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
words into the site searchs above instead of the other
key words -- or in addition.)

--
Herb Martin

> "Herb Martin" wrote:
>
> > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I would like to be able to set any given user that I just created to
have
> > the
> > > right "Act as part of the operating system" using a VBSCript. I'm a
> > complete
> > > newbie to VBScripting and I'm told this would be the only way to get
this
> > > functionality into my installshield. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
> > to a user or group (where you create the security
> > principal.)
> >
> > A Group Policy can also do this.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:36:00 PM

news:o 5ohh#5GFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I will also say that this sounds like a bad thing to do.
>
> That said, there is no direct way to grant user rights to accounts
> from script in Windows 2000 and later. You can however
> shell out to an execution of such as NTrights.exe from the
> resource kit. User Rights are policies, and there is no script
> interface for setting the values of policies.

I don't know about it being impossible but
even ignoring the security issue from a management
point of view it is better to do it another way
(and easier to program):

Build a GROUP for this purpose -- give it all
rights and privileges the "users" will need.

Then have the script put the user in that group.

(User will need to re-logon for it to take effect
but that is true for direct rights assingment anyway.)

--
Herb Martin

> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
> I'm a
> > newbie to VBScripting.
> >
> > "Herb Martin" wrote:
> >
> > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> have
> > > the
> > > complete
> this
> > >
> > > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
> > > to a user or group (where you create the security
> > > principal.)
> > >
> > > A Group Policy can also do this.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Herb Martin

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 10:23:16 AM

Herb,

I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
There is no programmatic interface available to script
for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
the values of policies.

--
news:o iAoAp6GFHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once again
> I'm a
> > newbie to VBScripting.
> >

> You might do better posting such a question
> to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.
>
> I could go look it up but don't know how to
> do it off the top of my head like some of those
> folks might.
>
> My first approach would be to search MS Dev
> areas using Google with something like:
>
> [ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]
>
> Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:
>
> I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
> words into the site searchs above instead of the other
> key words -- or in addition.)
>

> --
> Herb Martin
>

> > "Herb Martin" wrote:
> >
> > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> have
> > > the
> > > complete
> this
> > >
> > > Sounds like a bad idea but you can give this right
> > > to a user or group (where you create the security
> > > principal.)
> > >
> > > A Group Policy can also do this.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Herb Martin

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:38:55 PM

> Herb,
>
> I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
> There is no programmatic interface available to script
> for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
> It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
> but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
> the values of policies.

I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
after thinking about it this seems to make much
more sense if he just creates a group and uses
the scripting to add them to the group.

That is easy and even the right way to grant
rights and other privileges anyway.

--
Herb Martin

> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> news:o iAoAp6GFHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I only want it for one user. How do I do this in VBScript? Once
again
> > I'm a
> > > newbie to VBScripting.
> > >

> > You might do better posting such a question
> > to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.
> >
> > I could go look it up but don't know how to
> > do it off the top of my head like some of those
> > folks might.
> >
> > My first approach would be to search MS Dev
> > areas using Google with something like:
> >
> > [ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]
> >
> > Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:
> >
> > I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
> > words into the site searchs above instead of the other
> > key words -- or in addition.)
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin

> > have
> > this

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:22:14 AM

> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > Herb,
> >
> > I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
> > There is no programmatic interface available to script
> > for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
> > It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
> > but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
> > the values of policies.
>
> I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
> after thinking about it this seems to make much
> more sense if he just creates a group and uses
> the scripting to add them to the group.
>
> That is easy and even the right way to grant
> rights and other privileges anyway.
>
> --
> Herb Martin

Herb,

Beginning with W2k User Rights is a section in the
local security policy, and in all GPOs.
There is no API for setting any policy values from script.

What you state about use of a group is absolutely
right. However, that only chases the posters issue
back one level: does group exist yet, and has it been
granted the user right? If not, the installer would need
to make it so. For that OP would need to resort to
shelling out from their script to an exe like NTrights.

--
Roger
> > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > news:o iAoAp6GFHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> again
> > > I'm a
> > > >

> > > You might do better posting such a question
> > > to a scripting/VBS/adsi forum.
> > >
> > > I could go look it up but don't know how to
> > > do it off the top of my head like some of those
> > > folks might.
> > >
> > > My first approach would be to search MS Dev
> > > areas using Google with something like:
> > >
> > > [ vbscript assign rights users site:microsoft.com ]
> > >
> > > Or even site:msdn.microsoft.com or maybe microsoft:
> > >
> > > I would also check the ADSI Scriptomatic (stick those
> > > words into the site searchs above instead of the other
> > > key words -- or in addition.)
> > >

> > > --
> > > Herb Martin

> > > have
I'm
> get
> > > this

March 1, 2005 10:01:04 AM

My script first creates the user. Then I assign rights like "Act as part
of the operating system" As for groups I don't need to create one. I just
need to specify rights for this one user. So you're saying I can only do
this in C++ with WMI API?

Wheter it's wise or not doesn't matter to me. I'm developing an install
shield to do this preinstallation requirements for a third party Software
that requires this specific user with those rights.

I'm really having a hard time figuring out how to automate this task. I've
tried everything in Google.

"Roger Abell" wrote:

> > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > > Herb,
> > >
> > > I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
> > > There is no programmatic interface available to script
> > > for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
> > > It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
> > > but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
> > > the values of policies.
> >
> > I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
> > after thinking about it this seems to make much
> > more sense if he just creates a group and uses
> > the scripting to add them to the group.
> >
> > That is easy and even the right way to grant
> > rights and other privileges anyway.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> Herb,
>
> Beginning with W2k User Rights is a section in the
> local security policy, and in all GPOs.
> There is no API for setting any policy values from script.
>
> What you state about use of a group is absolutely
> right. However, that only chases the posters issue
> back one level: does group exist yet, and has it been
> granted the user right? If not, the installer would need
> to make it so. For that OP would need to resort to
> shelling out from their script to an exe like NTrights.
>
> --
> Roger
> > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o iAoAp6GFHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > again

> created
> I'm
> > get

March 1, 2005 4:59:03 PM

Thanks guys. I did it in C++ just fine. I was looking for a way in
VBScript but it just doesn't seem to be out there.

"Roger Abell" wrote:

> > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > > Herb,
> > >
> > > I regularly give the news in the scripting NG.
> > > There is no programmatic interface available to script
> > > for setting the value of a policy, including User Rights.
> > > It can be done from lower-level like C++ for rights,
> > > but in general there is no public API set for manipulating
> > > the values of policies.
> >
> > I don't know how "policies" got in here, but
> > after thinking about it this seems to make much
> > more sense if he just creates a group and uses
> > the scripting to add them to the group.
> >
> > That is easy and even the right way to grant
> > rights and other privileges anyway.
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> Herb,
>
> Beginning with W2k User Rights is a section in the
> local security policy, and in all GPOs.
> There is no API for setting any policy values from script.
>
> What you state about use of a group is absolutely
> right. However, that only chases the posters issue
> back one level: does group exist yet, and has it been
> granted the user right? If not, the installer would need
> to make it so. For that OP would need to resort to
> shelling out from their script to an exe like NTrights.
>
> --
> Roger
> > > "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o iAoAp6GFHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > again

> created
> I'm
> > get

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 9:43:39 PM

> Thanks guys. I did it in C++ just fine. I was looking for a way in
> VBScript but it just doesn't seem to be out there.

It isn't

--
Roger

!