forgotten password problem

I have to get some work files off an old computer; problem is when it boots
up it asks for a password that no-one remembers; is there any way to get in
to get the files off the harddrive?
2 answers Last reply
More about forgotten password problem

    There are free utilities that can be used to reset the built in
    administrator account to users that have full physical access to a computer.
    Otherwise simply put the hard drive in another computer as a secondary/slave
    hard drive to copy the files. That will not work however if any files are
    encrypted via EFS which will require the use of the user which encrypted the
    files on an XP Pro computer. For a W2K computer, EFS files probably would be
    available to whoever can logon as the built in administrator account. The
    other problem you may run into if you put the drive in another computer is
    that you may have to logon as an administrator to "take ownership" of the
    files so that you can give yourself NTFS permissions to access the files.
    The links below may help. --- Steve

    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421 --- work
    the same in Windows 2000

    "Lisa Simpson" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I have to get some work files off an old computer; problem is when it boots
    > up it asks for a password that no-one remembers; is there any way to get
    > in
    > to get the files off the harddrive?

    Adding the hardrive to another computer will allow you to access the files.

    "Lisa Simpson" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I have to get some work files off an old computer; problem is when it boots
    > up it asks for a password that no-one remembers; is there any way to get
    > in
    > to get the files off the harddrive?

Microsoft Windows