  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 26, 2005 12:30:01 PM

I have to get some work files off an old computer; problem is when it boots
up it asks for a password that no-one remembers; is there any way to get in
to get the files off the harddrive?

More about : forgotten password problem

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 6:10:07 PM

There are free utilities that can be used to reset the built in
administrator account to users that have full physical access to a computer.
Otherwise simply put the hard drive in another computer as a secondary/slave
hard drive to copy the files. That will not work however if any files are
encrypted via EFS which will require the use of the user which encrypted the
files on an XP Pro computer. For a W2K computer, EFS files probably would be
available to whoever can logon as the built in administrator account. The
other problem you may run into if you put the drive in another computer is
that you may have to logon as an administrator to "take ownership" of the
files so that you can give yourself NTFS permissions to access the files.
The links below may help. --- Steve

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421 --- work
the same in Windows 2000

"Lisa Simpson" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o zvRl%23AHFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I have to get some work files off an old computer; problem is when it boots
> up it asks for a password that no-one remembers; is there any way to get
> in
> to get the files off the harddrive?

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:04:09 AM

Adding the hardrive to another computer will allow you to access the files.

!