Deny _WRITE_ access to a file

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

Hi all!

I want to make sure that a group of users can't WRITE a set of files
that they have to be able to READ. The files belonging to that set
might change over time, so I want to make it part of a logon script.

The problem is, I can use CACLS / XCACLS to DENY ALL access to the
file. or to GRANT read, write, etc privileges to the files.. But I
can't use them (or, probaby, I don't know how to do it) to just deny
write permissions for a given group.

Is there some util that I might use, or do I have to resort to VBS to
accomplish what I need to do? IF that's the case, HOW do I do it
(sadly, whie I'm quite adept at batch scripting, VBS is not my forte).

Thanks a lot.

Javier J

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

You are correct that xcacls.exe does not offer the granularity
for Deny settings that you are after.
You can download xcacls.vbs from the Microsoft site
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0ad33a24-0616-473c-b103-c35bc2820bda&DisplayLang=en
This does support the granularity you are after.

However, a better solution might be reorganizing storage
so that files in this category are within a subdirectory of
their current location, rather than mixed into files of the
other permissions category within a single directory.
--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I want to make sure that a group of users can't WRITE a set of files
> that they have to be able to READ. The files belonging to that set
> might change over time, so I want to make it part of a logon script.
>
> The problem is, I can use CACLS / XCACLS to DENY ALL access to the
> file. or to GRANT read, write, etc privileges to the files.. But I
> can't use them (or, probaby, I don't know how to do it) to just deny
> write permissions for a given group.
>
> Is there some util that I might use, or do I have to resort to VBS to
> accomplish what I need to do? IF that's the case, HOW do I do it
> (sadly, whie I'm quite adept at batch scripting, VBS is not my forte).
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Javier J

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I want to make sure that a group of users can't WRITE a set of files
> that they have to be able to READ. The files belonging to that set
> might change over time, so I want to make it part of a logon script.
>
> The problem is, I can use CACLS / XCACLS to DENY ALL access to the
> file. or to GRANT read, write, etc privileges to the files.. But I
> can't use them (or, probaby, I don't know how to do it) to just deny
> write permissions for a given group.

As a logon script, your code will run in the context of the user. If he has
sufficient privileges to DENY himself write access, he has sufficient
privileges to REVOKE this denial.

Similarly, if he has ONLY READ/WRITE, but not FULL, then the script will
fail to modify the permissions.

> Is there some util that I might use, or do I have to resort to VBS to
> accomplish what I need to do? IF that's the case, HOW do I do it
> (sadly, whie I'm quite adept at batch scripting, VBS is not my forte).

Doing permissions at the granular level from VBScript can be quite a chore.
I would recommend that, using a privileged account, you permit the folders
(and existing file) such that normal users can only read, and cannot write.
New files created there will then inherit the same permissions/restrictions
automatically.

/Al

> You are correct that xcacls.exe does not offer the granularity
> for Deny settings that you are after.

In addition to that, also consider that it is often more appropriate to
simply not grant write access rather than actually denying it.

/Al

> You can download xcacls.vbs from the Microsoft site

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0ad33a24-0616-473c-b103-c35bc2820bda&DisplayLang=en
> This does support the granularity you are after.
>
> However, a better solution might be reorganizing storage
> so that files in this category are within a subdirectory of
> their current location, rather than mixed into files of the
> other permissions category within a single directory.
> --
> Roger Abell
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
> "Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I want to make sure that a group of users can't WRITE a set of files
> > that they have to be able to READ. The files belonging to that set
> > might change over time, so I want to make it part of a logon script.
> >
> > The problem is, I can use CACLS / XCACLS to DENY ALL access to the
> > file. or to GRANT read, write, etc privileges to the files.. But I
> > can't use them (or, probaby, I don't know how to do it) to just deny
> > write permissions for a given group.
> >
> > Is there some util that I might use, or do I have to resort to VBS to
> > accomplish what I need to do? IF that's the case, HOW do I do it
> > (sadly, whie I'm quite adept at batch scripting, VBS is not my forte).
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Javier J

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

Al is quite right in picking up on your mention of use in a
login script - which skipped my attention.
To do as you had planned you would need to do this in
a startup/shutdown script, not login/logoff script.

However, you really, really would IMO be better off by
restructuring so that all files with this requirement are in
a folder with appropriate grants, not mixed in with other
files in a folder where the default NTFS permissions will
need to be changed.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> I want to make sure that a group of users can't WRITE a set of files
> that they have to be able to READ. The files belonging to that set
> might change over time, so I want to make it part of a logon script.
>
> The problem is, I can use CACLS / XCACLS to DENY ALL access to the
> file. or to GRANT read, write, etc privileges to the files.. But I
> can't use them (or, probaby, I don't know how to do it) to just deny
> write permissions for a given group.
>
> Is there some util that I might use, or do I have to resort to VBS to
> accomplish what I need to do? IF that's the case, HOW do I do it
> (sadly, whie I'm quite adept at batch scripting, VBS is not my forte).
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Javier J

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

Hi!!

Thanks a lot for the response.

First of all, regarding LOGON SCRIPT, the mistake is mine: What I was
trying to talk about was a STARTUP script (if I'm not mistaken, that
script runs as BUILTIN\SYSTEM).

I think I'd rather explain a bit more about the envirnoment so that
it's clear of why I'm asking for such strange things:

The situation is as follows: The PCs in question (Win 200 PRO, SP4+,
W2000 Mixed Domain) "belong" to a group of users who, as part of their
normal duties, have to handle sensitive information using an internal
company app. To avoid undue information leakage, these users have
*TWO* logon users for the domain, a highly restricted one that is used
to run the corporate app/access sensitve information, and a "Normal"
user for the rest of everyday tasks.

The "normal" user can run all software EXCEPT the restricted app, and
can work normally.

The setup for the restricted user (using GPO, crypto software et al)
is such that the restricted user only can run the "sensitive" app,
they can't browse or "see" in Explorer the local folders, their
profile is redirected to an encrypted network etc etc...

Also, using an STARTUP batch script, the members of the restricted
group have been DENIED access to different .exes that restricted users
should not run (ftp.exe, telnet.exe and other) and folders they don't
need access to. (Windows already protects system folders against
accidental change). The problem is, there are a couple of folders on
C:\ (such as c:\local_settings) that the user logon needs to be able
to read, because it sets machine-specific config. (such as the
building's mail server, the NT server, and suchlike)

The problem is that the folder is set to be writeable by "Everyone".
I'd like to be able to "change" it so "no write" for the users of this
particular group. I can DENY access, but these users are part of
"Everyone", so even if "RestrictedG" has only READ acces, as they are
members of "Everyone"; they get to write there...

Why am I exploring the "deny" route, instead of limiting the rights of
"Everyone".. because there are some cases where the normal users has
to be able to write, so "Everyone:W" is a valid permission.... as long
as I could do something like "RestrictedG":DENY WRITE....

I know that permission is "settable" (is that a word?) as it can be
set usign (the "simple) NTFS Perms. tab... but to script it is what is
driving me crazy!!

Thanks a lot. Any help _WILL_ Be more than welocome!!

Javier J

> Hi!!
>
> Thanks a lot for the response.
>
> First of all, regarding LOGON SCRIPT, the mistake is mine: What I was
> trying to talk about was a STARTUP script (if I'm not mistaken, that
> script runs as BUILTIN\SYSTEM).
>
> I think I'd rather explain a bit more about the envirnoment so that
> it's clear of why I'm asking for such strange things:
>
> The situation is as follows: The PCs in question (Win 200 PRO, SP4+,
> W2000 Mixed Domain) "belong" to a group of users who, as part of their
> normal duties, have to handle sensitive information using an internal
> company app. To avoid undue information leakage, these users have
> *TWO* logon users for the domain, a highly restricted one that is used
> to run the corporate app/access sensitve information, and a "Normal"
> user for the rest of everyday tasks.
>
> The "normal" user can run all software EXCEPT the restricted app, and
> can work normally.
>
> The setup for the restricted user (using GPO, crypto software et al)
> is such that the restricted user only can run the "sensitive" app,
> they can't browse or "see" in Explorer the local folders, their
> profile is redirected to an encrypted network etc etc...
>
> Also, using an STARTUP batch script, the members of the restricted
> group have been DENIED access to different .exes that restricted users
> should not run (ftp.exe, telnet.exe and other) and folders they don't
> need access to. (Windows already protects system folders against
> accidental change). The problem is, there are a couple of folders on
> C:\ (such as c:\local_settings) that the user logon needs to be able
> to read, because it sets machine-specific config. (such as the
> building's mail server, the NT server, and suchlike)
>
> The problem is that the folder is set to be writeable by "Everyone".
> I'd like to be able to "change" it so "no write" for the users of this
> particular group. I can DENY access, but these users are part of
> "Everyone", so even if "RestrictedG" has only READ acces, as they are
> members of "Everyone"; they get to write there...
>
> Why am I exploring the "deny" route, instead of limiting the rights of
> "Everyone".. because there are some cases where the normal users has
> to be able to write, so "Everyone:W" is a valid permission.... as long
> as I could do something like "RestrictedG":DENY WRITE....
>
> I know that permission is "settable" (is that a word?) as it can be
> set usign (the "simple) NTFS Perms. tab... but to script it is what is
> driving me crazy!!
>
> Thanks a lot. Any help _WILL_ Be more than welocome!!
>
> Javier J

The xcacls.vbs will do what you are after, and, it will provide you
with example of lines need to do it in your own script.

Deny overrides Grant - where you discuss need for Everyone, but
not the RestrictedG. The only thing is that you need to be very aware
and careful about explicit vs inherited.
Inherited or Explicit Deny overrides an Inherited Grant
Explicit Deny overrides an Explicit Grant, but an Inherited
Deny does not override an Explicit Grant.
--
Roger

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:12:30 -0700, "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >Al is quite right in picking up on your mention of use in a
> >login script - which skipped my attention.
> >To do as you had planned you would need to do this in
> >a startup/shutdown script, not login/logoff script.
> >
> >However, you really, really would IMO be better off by
> >restructuring so that all files with this requirement are in
> >a folder with appropriate grants, not mixed in with other
> >files in a folder where the default NTFS permissions will
> >need to be changed.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
> Hi!!
>
> Thanks a lot for the response.

You are welcome...

> First of all, regarding LOGON SCRIPT, the mistake is mine: What I was
> trying to talk about was a STARTUP script (if I'm not mistaken, that
> script runs as BUILTIN\SYSTEM).
>
> I think I'd rather explain a bit more about the envirnoment so that
> it's clear of why I'm asking for such strange things:
>
> The situation is as follows: The PCs in question (Win 200 PRO, SP4+,
> W2000 Mixed Domain) "belong" to a group of users who, as part of their
> normal duties, have to handle sensitive information using an internal
> company app. To avoid undue information leakage, these users have
> *TWO* logon users for the domain, a highly restricted one that is used
> to run the corporate app/access sensitve information, and a "Normal"
> user for the rest of everyday tasks.

Interesting. In our environment, any exceptionally privileged accounts are
restricted in what they can do only by policies written on paper rather than
being enforced by GPO. Admin accounts are not allowed to use the browser,
but they are not actually prevented from doing so. We do not have any
applications that need to be run in a context where the rest of the
infrastructure is made inaccessible, so access to such apps is granted to
normal user accounts.

> The "normal" user can run all software EXCEPT the restricted app, and
> can work normally.
>
> The setup for the restricted user (using GPO, crypto software et al)
> is such that the restricted user only can run the "sensitive" app,
> they can't browse or "see" in Explorer the local folders, their
> profile is redirected to an encrypted network etc etc...

.... still having some trouble envisioning how this type of operation can be
configured without creating complications for adminstration. I mean, who
here can list all of the files on a Windows system to which ANY user MUST
have READ access? WRITE access?

> Also, using an STARTUP batch script,

Fine. But what if the system is not restarted between user sessions?

> the members of the restricted
> group have been DENIED access to different .exes that restricted users
> should not run (ftp.exe, telnet.exe and other) and folders they don't
> need access to. (Windows already protects system folders against
> accidental change). The problem is, there are a couple of folders on
> C:\ (such as c:\local_settings) that the user logon needs to be able
> to read, because it sets machine-specific config. (such as the
> building's mail server, the NT server, and suchlike)
>
> The problem is that the folder is set to be writeable by "Everyone".
> I'd like to be able to "change" it so "no write" for the users of this
> particular group. I can DENY access, but these users are part of
> "Everyone", so even if "RestrictedG" has only READ acces, as they are
> members of "Everyone"; they get to write there...

The explicit DENY will generally override the ALLOW.

> Why am I exploring the "deny" route, instead of limiting the rights of
> "Everyone".. because there are some cases where the normal users has
> to be able to write, so "Everyone:W" is a valid permission.... as long
> as I could do something like "RestrictedG":DENY WRITE....
>
> I know that permission is "settable" (is that a word?) as it can be
> set usign (the "simple) NTFS Perms. tab... but to script it is what is
> driving me crazy!!

I sympathize! But I fear that the approach may not be as bullet proof as you
appear to need it to be.

Apparently members of the restricted group can logon and establish their
redirected session having only READ access to the "c:\local_settings\"
folder. If it is possible to script a permissions change such that the
folder remains read/write for everyone except for the restricted group who
have read-only access, then surely it should be possible to apply that
permission setting ONCE using the GUI, and just leave it at the setting you
need.

I tried this and it seemed to work, however, I had to put a checkmark beside
WRITE in the DENY column. When I tried to DENY the MODIFY access, I found I
could not do so without also denying READ, READ&EXECUTE, and LIST FOLDER
CONTENTS. That would appear to be a limitation or constraint applied by the
GUI itself.

I would recommend that you try the following from the GUI: Everyone:W and
RestrictedG:DENY WRITE, and then test the results to see if it achieves your
purpose without causing problems for the restricated users.

If that fails in any way, then I would suggest drilling down to the advanced
tab and denying everything associated with being able to modify or write.

If that fails in any way, then I would suggest playing with cacls or
cacls.vbs to see if the extra granularity allows you to do what you want.

If THAT fails, then, IMHO, you will be unable to accomplish this in a
startup script. If it succeeds, then you will not need to do it in a startup
script if you can configure the permissions of that folder as a default in
your image, or as part of the restricted application installation process.

/Al

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:33:08 -0700, "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
wrote:

>"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
>> Hi!!
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the response.
>>
>> First of all, regarding LOGON SCRIPT, the mistake is mine: What I was
>> trying to talk about was a STARTUP script (if I'm not mistaken, that
>> script runs as BUILTIN\SYSTEM).

<...>

>> The problem is that the folder is set to be writeable by "Everyone".
>> I'd like to be able to "change" it so "no write" for the users of this
>> particular group. I can DENY access, but these users are part of
>> "Everyone", so even if "RestrictedG" has only READ acces, as they are
>> members of "Everyone"; they get to write there...
>>
>> Why am I exploring the "deny" route, instead of limiting the rights of
>> "Everyone".. because there are some cases where the normal users has
>> to be able to write, so "Everyone:W" is a valid permission.... as long
>> as I could do something like "RestrictedG":DENY WRITE....
>>
>> I know that permission is "settable" (is that a word?) as it can be
>> set usign (the "simple) NTFS Perms. tab... but to script it is what is
>> driving me crazy!!
>>
>> Thanks a lot. Any help _WILL_ Be more than welocome!!
>>
>> Javier J
>
>The xcacls.vbs will do what you are after, and, it will provide you
>with example of lines need to do it in your own script.
>
>Deny overrides Grant - where you discuss need for Everyone, but
>not the RestrictedG. The only thing is that you need to be very aware
>and careful about explicit vs inherited.
>Inherited or Explicit Deny overrides an Inherited Grant
>Explicit Deny overrides an Explicit Grant, but an Inherited
> Deny does not override an Explicit Grant.

Thanks a lot. At the moment, I've managed to overcome the problem by
isolating the folders where the needed .bat files are, and given
"read" to Everyone, so the scripts are readable by all, and the "log
to" folder .... well, I've used Deny for "RestrictedG", and I just
live w/o standard logging for that group (instead, I'm using eventlog
to log events to the system event log), but I'd like to be able to do
thinks in not such-a-radical approach.

JJ

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windows.server.security (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:39:41 -0700, "Al Dunbar [MS-MVP]"
<alan-no-drub-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Javier J" <no.mail@please.no> wrote in message
>> Hi!!
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the response.
>
>You are welcome...
>
>> First of all, regarding LOGON SCRIPT, the mistake is mine: What I was
>> trying to talk about was a STARTUP script (if I'm not mistaken, that
>> script runs as BUILTIN\SYSTEM).
>>
>> I think I'd rather explain a bit more about the envirnoment so that
>> it's clear of why I'm asking for such strange things:
>>
>> The situation is as follows: The PCs in question (Win 200 PRO, SP4+,
>> W2000 Mixed Domain) "belong" to a group of users who, as part of their
>> normal duties, have to handle sensitive information using an internal
>> company app. To avoid undue information leakage, these users have
>> *TWO* logon users for the domain, a highly restricted one that is used
>> to run the corporate app/access sensitve information, and a "Normal"
>> user for the rest of everyday tasks.
>
>Interesting. In our environment, any exceptionally privileged accounts are
>restricted in what they can do only by policies written on paper rather than
>being enforced by GPO. Admin accounts are not allowed to use the browser,
>but they are not actually prevented from doing so. We do not have any
>applications that need to be run in a context where the rest of the
>infrastructure is made inaccessible, so access to such apps is granted to
>normal user accounts.

Hi!

In the "normal" running of this org, that is the way things are. But
this is a "small" group (around 50 users, max) that sometimes handle
extremely sensitive (from the legal P.O.W.) info, so we have decided
to try to go the "extra mile" and "really" restrict the things.

Of course, the legal "threat" is still in place, but the consensus was
that the user should also be "made aware" of the restricted naturea of
the environment... If there is plenty of things that the user normally
can do that can't be done, the user can't (honestly, justifibly) say
"I was not aware of that"...

>> The "normal" user can run all software EXCEPT the restricted app, and
>> can work normally.
>>
>> The setup for the restricted user (using GPO, crypto software et al)
>> is such that the restricted user only can run the "sensitive" app,
>> they can't browse or "see" in Explorer the local folders, their
>> profile is redirected to an encrypted network etc etc...
>
>... still having some trouble envisioning how this type of operation can be
>configured without creating complications for adminstration. I mean, who
>here can list all of the files on a Windows system to which ANY user MUST
>have READ access? WRITE access?

Well, basically it's not that difficult.
Normal users only need read access to %windir% and to %programfiles%
(ant that's the defaul windows user perms), and write access to their
own user profile.

So any other folder (for example, those hanging from C: that are _not_
c:\winnt or c:\Program Files or c:\Documents and Settings) are the
folders I worry about.

As for the temporary folders, and swap file, and such, the system is
set to clear them on shutdown, and the user profile can't "close
session", only "restart".

>> Also, using an STARTUP batch script,
>
>Fine. But what if the system is not restarted between user sessions?

Well, those policies are applied _each_ time the system boots, but a
normal user shouldn't be able to change them (as they're not members
of the admin group), so it's probably a bit of overkill to have the
policies re-set on each machine boot...

On user logon and logoff there is a more limited script that performs
temporary file deletion and such niceties as we could think of...

Also, we are exploring the possibility of forcing the user to reboot
the computer when they logoff the "restricted user", but thats only on
the drawing board at the moment.

>> the members of the restricted
>> group have been DENIED access to different .exes that restricted users
>> should not run (ftp.exe, telnet.exe and other) and folders they don't
>> need access to. (Windows already protects system folders against
>> accidental change). The problem is, there are a couple of folders on
>> C:\ (such as c:\local_settings) that the user logon needs to be able
>> to read, because it sets machine-specific config. (such as the
>> building's mail server, the NT server, and suchlike)
>>
>> The problem is that the folder is set to be writeable by "Everyone".
>> I'd like to be able to "change" it so "no write" for the users of this
>> particular group. I can DENY access, but these users are part of
>> "Everyone", so even if "RestrictedG" has only READ acces, as they are
>> members of "Everyone"; they get to write there...
>
>The explicit DENY will generally override the ALLOW.

That's why I'm trying to "get" how to be able to selectively DENY some
things, as I'd rather not deny everything :)

>> Why am I exploring the "deny" route, instead of limiting the rights of
>> "Everyone".. because there are some cases where the normal users has
>> to be able to write, so "Everyone:W" is a valid permission.... as long
>> as I could do something like "RestrictedG":DENY WRITE....
>>
>> I know that permission is "settable" (is that a word?) as it can be
>> set usign (the "simple) NTFS Perms. tab... but to script it is what is
>> driving me crazy!!
>
>I sympathize! But I fear that the approach may not be as bullet proof as you
>appear to need it to be.

Well.... I am aware that there is no perfect solution to the problem.
What I'm trying to do is to configuire the system so it's *notably*
(at least, from my POV) more secure than it was, and to do so in such
a way that the user's productivity does not suffer too much...

>Apparently members of the restricted group can logon and establish their
>redirected session having only READ access to the "c:\local_settings\"
>folder. If it is possible to script a permissions change such that the
>folder remains read/write for everyone except for the restricted group who
>have read-only access, then surely it should be possible to apply that
>permission setting ONCE using the GUI, and just leave it at the setting you
>need.
>
>I tried this and it seemed to work, however, I had to put a checkmark beside
>WRITE in the DENY column. When I tried to DENY the MODIFY access, I found I
>could not do so without also denying READ, READ&EXECUTE, and LIST FOLDER
>CONTENTS. That would appear to be a limitation or constraint applied by the
>GUI itself.
>
>I would recommend that you try the following from the GUI: Everyone:W and
>RestrictedG:DENY WRITE, and then test the results to see if it achieves your
>purpose without causing problems for the restricated users.

YES! That's the final result I want to achieve, but using a script. I
already have tested those changes on the GUI, the "problem" is getting
the computers to that state w/o having to log-on to them.

>If that fails in any way, then I would suggest drilling down to the advanced
>tab and denying everything associated with being able to modify or write.
>
>If that fails in any way, then I would suggest playing with cacls or
>cacls.vbs to see if the extra granularity allows you to do what you want.

No, I only need to be able to do the same than in the "standard" file
permission tab, BUT w/o doing it manually.

>If THAT fails, then, IMHO, you will be unable to accomplish this in a
>startup script. If it succeeds, then you will not need to do it in a startup
>script if you can configure the permissions of that folder as a default in
>your image, or as part of the restricted application installation process.

The issue here is that the install image is already "closed", and it
depends on another dept. that I don't have "leverage" with. And that
installation image could change with time (for instance, when new
hardware is bought). What I am trying to do is to find a way to
"transform" the image from the permssions-state that it has, to the
one I want it to have, so that I can be confident that "accidents"
don't happen (say, one of the Domain Admins logs on the computer, and
makes some changes, or whatever). That's why I'm investigating
software installation policies, permission change scripts and the
like..

The idea is to develop a "method" to be able to securize a given
computer, not only a "lock this specific workstation" approach. And to
minimize the manual intervention required. (as it is, it's still
necessary to log on to the computer as local admin at least once, so
that MS OUTLOOK is completely installed.... And I don't know why
should it behave like that, it's.. odd and uncomfortable, to say the
least)... BTW, if you know of any way of avoiding that, I'd be more
than happy to hear it!! ;)