Write access to desktop

w2k3 domain
xp pro workstations

How can I globally deny write access to the desktop, I don't want users to
create files on the desktop
1 answer Last reply
More about write access desktop

    You should be able to do that with a Group Policy logon script and using the
    cacls or xcacls command with the %username% variable to their profile folder
    desktop folder under documents and settings. You want to give them only read
    or read/execute permisisons to their desktop folder. They still would be the
    owner and determined users may be able to figure that out and change
    permissions back. There are also tools such as fileacl that can change
    ownership on a folder. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642 --- Group
    Policy startup scripts.

    "James" <me@me.com> wrote in message
    > w2k3 domain
    > xp pro workstations
    >
    > How can I globally deny write access to the desktop, I don't want users to
    > create files on the desktop

Security Desktops Microsoft Windows XP Windows