Increasing Password Complexity

Hi All, are there any products that I can install that will increase the
complexity requirements of the passwords users use. Currently I have the
standard windows complexity enabled but users can type in Password9 which
conforms but still contains a dictionary word. I would like to stop users
using dictionary words and more random letters. Sadistic I know but where's
the fun otherwise.
Thanks,
Liam.
4 answers Last reply
More about increasing password complexity

    They will still find ways around it as in Passw0rd9!. Train them to use
    passphrases and then you can increase the minimum lenght to 15 or more. A
    password such as - I forget my stupid password - would be a very strong
    password based on it's length and be easy to remember. In high security
    situations you should look at using smart cards, possibly at least for
    administrators and key personnel. If you make it too hard for users they
    will simply write their passwords down and keep them under the keyboard or
    such. There are third party tools. If you search Google for custom
    passfilt.dll you should find some if that is the way you want to go.
    Disabling storeage of lm password hashes will also go a long way to
    protecting passwords from brute force attacks. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q299656&

    "Liam Waters" <LiamWaters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All, are there any products that I can install that will increase the
    > complexity requirements of the passwords users use. Currently I have the
    > standard windows complexity enabled but users can type in Password9 which
    > conforms but still contains a dictionary word. I would like to stop users
    > using dictionary words and more random letters. Sadistic I know but
    > where's
    > the fun otherwise.
    > Thanks,
    > Liam.
  2. Quote:

    Hi All, are there any products that I can install that will increase the
    complexity requirements of the passwords users use. Currently I have the
    standard windows complexity enabled but users can type in Password9 which
    conforms but still contains a dictionary word. I would like to stop users
    using dictionary words and more random letters. Sadistic I know but where's
    the fun otherwise.
    Thanks,
    Liam.

    Yes you are absolutely rite.
    yet there is a way you can create strong password with random characters
    check this link

    Also poll on this page
  3. That post is 5 years old.
  4. know how to create a good password? And how can you remember more than one of them? Here are some tips and tricks to maintain individual strong passwords for all of your online accounts.
    url 1

    Create Different Passwords For Each Account
    url 2

    Know What passwords to avoid
    url 3

    At last Check the strength of your password
    url 4

Security Products Microsoft Windows