Free Disk Space?

Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files totalling about
40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the burn, I deleted the 2 files,
which should have freed up 40GB. But it didn't the drice still reads 17GB
free. What happened? How do I reclaim that 40 GB? The files are no longer on
the drive that I can see.
Thanks!

Did you empty the recycle bin? You need to do this even if the files were
to big to go in the recycle bin. If you use Norton SystemWorks, also empty
the Protected Recycle bin. Give the system some time to catch up.

In news:390us5F5qd4g3U1@individual.net,
LMO <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> typed:

> Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files
> totalling about 40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the
> burn,
> I deleted the 2 files, which should have freed up 40GB. But it
> didn't
> the drice still reads 17GB free. What happened? How do I
> reclaim that
> 40 GB? The files are no longer on the drive that I can see.

They are probably in the recycle bin. Unless you Shift-delete
them, when you delete files, they go into the recycle bin, so you
don't save any space until you empty the recycle bin.

Please reply to the newsgroup

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files totalling
> about 40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the burn, I deleted
> the 2 files, which should have freed up 40GB. But it didn't the drice
> still reads 17GB free. What happened? How do I reclaim that 40 GB? The
> files are no longer on the drive that I can see.
> Thanks!

Could depend on the DVD burning software that you used but never
mentioned. Maybe you have it configured to buffer a copy of the source
files into some temporary holding directory and that's where they still
are. You deleted the source files but not their copies. Check whatever
DVD burning software you use to see if it has a flush function,
especially one to flush after completing a write operation to DVD.

johnf

Also, download sequoiaview.
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
That will show you in graphic form what's using up all your space - with
probable large DVD files floating around, you won't miss them, as the graph
(box) size represents the file size.
A neat little program also to always have on board.

--

johnf

> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files totalling
>> about 40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the burn, I deleted
>> the 2 files, which should have freed up 40GB. But it didn't the drice
>> still reads 17GB free. What happened? How do I reclaim that 40 GB? The
>> files are no longer on the drive that I can see.
>> Thanks!
>>

> Could depend on the DVD burning software that you used but never
> mentioned. Maybe you have it configured to buffer a copy of the source
> files into some temporary holding directory and that's where they still
> are. You deleted the source files but not their copies. Check whatever
> DVD burning software you use to see if it has a flush function,
> especially one to flush after completing a write operation to DVD.

> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.

pop

> In news:390us5F5qd4g3U1@individual.net,
> LMO <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> typed:
>
>> Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files
>> totalling about 40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the burn,
>> I deleted the 2 files, which should have freed up 40GB. But it didn't
>> the drice still reads 17GB free. What happened? How do I reclaim that
>> 40 GB? The files are no longer on the drive that I can see.
>

> They are probably in the recycle bin. Unless you Shift-delete them, when
> you delete files, they go into the recycle bin, so you don't save any
> space until you empty the recycle bin.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

No, they aren't likely to be in the Recycle Bin or under Recycler either,
but it's still worth it to empty it. Files that large aren't kept in the
recycles.
More than likely, the DVD program created on-drive buffers that it worked
from so it couldn't possibly screw up the originals. THOSE may have been
left behind, or an index counter might have been left, confusing the issue.
There could be buffers on other drives also, depending on how you're
configured, esp if there were any errors during/after the burn.
If there are buffer folders left over, they might be "hidden", in which
case you would have to have Show Hidden Files in Explorer Properties turned
on.

Let us know your solution? I'm always interested in this sort of problem
fix.

Pop

It's not so much that the files are there, but the act of emptying the
recycler causes the OS to do some housekeeping.

In news:eCg5OU0IFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

> It's not so much that the files are there, but the act of
> emptying the
> recycler causes the OS to do some housekeeping.

Yes, thanks (also to Pop). I read too quickly and missed the size
of the files.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>> message
>>> In news:390us5F5qd4g3U1@individual.net,
>>> LMO <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> typed:

>>> They are probably in the recycle bin. Unless you Shift-delete
>>> them,
>>> when you delete files, they go into the recycle bin, so you
>>> don't
>>> save any space until you empty the recycle bin.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>
>> No, they aren't likely to be in the Recycle Bin or under
>> Recycler
>> either, but it's still worth it to empty it. Files that large
>> aren't kept in the recycles.
>> More than likely, the DVD program created on-drive buffers
>> that it
>> worked from so it couldn't possibly screw up the originals.
>> THOSE
>> may have been left behind, or an index counter might have been
>> left,
>> confusing the issue.
>> There could be buffers on other drives also, depending on
>> how
>> you're configured, esp if there were any errors during/after
>> the
>> burn. If there are buffer folders left over, they might be
>> "hidden", in which case you would have to have Show Hidden
>> Files in
>> Explorer Properties turned on.
>>
>> Let us know your solution? I'm always interested in this sort
>> of
>> problem fix.
>>
>> Pop

I emptied the recycle bin, but here, 24 hrs later, disk still reads 17GB
free. Even with any auxilliary files hidden someplace, there is no
indication that I deleted 40GB of files.

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files totalling
> about 40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the burn, I deleted the 2
> files, which should have freed up 40GB. But it didn't the drice still
> reads 17GB free. What happened? How do I reclaim that 40 GB? The files are
> no longer on the drive that I can see.
> Thanks!

pop

Oops: Didn't see these followons; sorry.

As a last straw grasp, try turning indexing for that drive OFF and then back
ON.

What does it look like if you start up the Defrag utility on that drive?
Does it still look that full?

Have you looked for temporary files: *.tmp, ~*.*, *.Y where Y is the TLD of
your DVD files, things like that?

Might you have had it set to create an on-disk ISO image which is still
there?

These are all shotguns, I admit, so no great hope. Just tossing things out
that might tip you off to something.

I think I'd be tempted to open the Recycle Bin and look at what's in it,
even if it says it's empty. There might be a hint there.

You have of course, done a complete, power-down the cpu and all peripherals
and then started from a cold boot, right? Power needs to be completely
removed from the computer for more than twenty seconds before you let it
restart, to be sure memory discharges completely.

I'll bet you a free cup of coffee in the cafeteria, on free-coffe day, that
it's something silly and inconseauential when the problem is finally
uncovered. <g>

Pop

>I emptied the recycle bin, but here, 24 hrs later, disk still reads 17GB
>free. Even with any auxilliary files hidden someplace, there is no
>indication that I deleted 40GB of files.
>
> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files totalling
>> about 40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the burn, I deleted the
>> 2 files, which should have freed up 40GB. But it didn't the drice still
>> reads 17GB free. What happened? How do I reclaim that 40 GB? The files
>> are no longer on the drive that I can see.
>> Thanks!

Yes, I have turned the system off several times. When I use the recommended
SequoiaView, it shows half the drive as free, but Properties still only
shows about 20GB of the 160GB drive free.
How do I switch Indexing off/on?
Thanks.

> Oops: Didn't see these followons; sorry.
>
> As a last straw grasp, try turning indexing for that drive OFF and then
> back ON.
>
> What does it look like if you start up the Defrag utility on that drive?
> Does it still look that full?
>
> Have you looked for temporary files: *.tmp, ~*.*, *.Y where Y is the TLD
> of your DVD files, things like that?
>
> Might you have had it set to create an on-disk ISO image which is still
> there?
>
> These are all shotguns, I admit, so no great hope. Just tossing things
> out that might tip you off to something.
>
> I think I'd be tempted to open the Recycle Bin and look at what's in it,
> even if it says it's empty. There might be a hint there.
>
> You have of course, done a complete, power-down the cpu and all
> peripherals and then started from a cold boot, right? Power needs to be
> completely removed from the computer for more than twenty seconds before
> you let it restart, to be sure memory discharges completely.
>
> I'll bet you a free cup of coffee in the cafeteria, on free-coffe day,
> that it's something silly and inconseauential when the problem is finally
> uncovered. <g>
>
> Pop
>

> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I emptied the recycle bin, but here, 24 hrs later, disk still reads 17GB
>>free. Even with any auxilliary files hidden someplace, there is no
>>indication that I deleted 40GB of files.
>>
>> "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello all. I was writing video files to a DVD. I had 2 files totalling
>>> about 40GB. My 160GB drive read 17GB free. After the burn, I deleted the
>>> 2 files, which should have freed up 40GB. But it didn't the drice still
>>> reads 17GB free. What happened? How do I reclaim that 40 GB? The files
>>> are no longer on the drive that I can see.
>>> Thanks!

Okay, I turned indexing off, but still only have 27GB free. No where near
the 40GB that I deleted. I cannot find any temp or DVD or auxilliary files
on the disk. It's a puzzle.
I just don't understand why the 40GB did not show up when I deleted the
files.