How to lock access to tax application on guest account?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
March 1, 2005 11:49:03 PM

Is there a way to prevent a user on the guest account from getting access to
sensitive applications?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 2, 2005 11:49:22 PM

You can make sure that the user in a group that has no or deny permissions
to the folders that the applications reside in. For instance you could give
the guest and/or guests group full deny permissions to program
files\sensitive application folder for full control. If a user is in a group
that does not have any permissions to an application/executable then they
have an implicit deny permission. What I would do is to logon as that
account or as a user in that group to make sure that the user can not access
the application. The best solution is to not let the user logon to or be
able to access the computer if it has sensitive applications if possible. Be
careful with deny permissions and keep in mind that administrators are also
members of the users and everyone groups. --- Steve

"Bill Gates III" <Bill Gates III@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to prevent a user on the guest account from getting access
> sensitive applications?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2005 12:55:41 AM

Bill Gates III wrote:
> Is there a way to prevent a user on the guest account from getting
> access to sensitive applications?

In addition to the Always Sage Steven's reply - applications aren't
sensitive. The DATA they create & access is.

Lock that down securely, ideally not even on the computer itself, but on a
properly configured server located in a locked room - and who really cares
if someone can launch an executable?
!