thermal adhesive question

doctahjones

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
hello all, my dillema is: I have a zalman zf900 cooler applied to a radeon 1900gt. no problems installing, infact it was quite easy. 2 of the ram heatsinks will not "stick". seems like a poor glue job by the manuf. applied all sinks, let the card sit for 1 hour afterwards, and they fell right off. anyone have an idea as to how to reapply these?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/arsiltherad.html

That stuff will work but the way I did it was much cheaper and probably just as effective.

I just put a tiny dab of AS5 on each memory chip and used a toothpick to put a pin head sized dot of super glue on one corner of the chip.

Press the RAM sink on and it will stick just dandy, if you need to take it off a twist will crack the glue on the corner. I wasn't too worried about the glue blocking heat on one tiny corner being that many cards memory chips dont even have heatsinks on them.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/arsiltherad.html

That stuff will work but the way I did it was much cheaper and probably just as effective.

I just put a tiny dab of AS5 on each memory chip and used a toothpick to put a pin head sized dot of super glue on one corner of the chip.

Press the RAM sink on and it will stick just dandy, if you need to take it off a twist will crack the glue on the corner. I wasn't too worried about the glue blocking heat on one tiny corner being that many cards memory chips dont even have heatsinks on them.

Well if the superglue trick works thats a nifty tip, cause the AS Thermal Adhesive is a permanent solution and I mean permanent, you will not get the sinks back off without destroying the RAM chips.

G

Had the same problem. The thing though is, that they won't stick again, once they fall off...

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The Arctic Silver epoxy definitely works. I once used it to put a stock Athlon XP heatsink onto a graphics card......probably not the best idea, but it kept the card cold! (And no, you can NEVER take the epoxy off!)

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Wish that card was worth benchmarking.... :(
Surprisingly, the Athlon cooler just fit right onto my ancient GF4 MX440. Still didn't get good benchmarks, for obvious reasons. I did, however manage to overclock the core speed to about 500 mhz (stock was ~300) so, not too shabby. The card itself never really got warm.....I could have run the card passively, but decided instead just to leave the fan on. Worst part was the fact that the huge heatsink took up 3 PCI slots; but I didn't really use all of them anyway.

It did fair pretty well with some of the "newer" gforce cards at the time, namely the GF Ti 4200. lol.

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Heh. Do you think it would be worth trying on, say, an 8 series for an extreme OC?

Second thoughts, watercooling is probably easier and better.
Hmm.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
hello all, my dillema is: I have a zalman zf900 cooler applied to a radeon 1900gt. no problems installing, infact it was quite easy. 2 of the ram heatsinks will not "stick". seems like a poor glue job by the manuf. applied all sinks, let the card sit for 1 hour afterwards, and they fell right off. anyone have an idea as to how to reapply these?

What thermal glue are you using?

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Second thoughts, watercooling is probably easier and better.

I agree. That thing weighed so much that I had to tie the corner of the card to the case so it wouldn't snap the card!

If you have the money for watercooling, give it a go.

Best of Luck

doctahjones

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007

What thermal glue are you using?

nothing yet. after reading some of the replies, I might go with an epoxy. :? Ill keep you guys posted.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
As long as you don't ever decide to take the heatsinks off again, you can't go wrong with the Arctic Silver thermal epoxy. Easy to use, good thermal transfer, and you won't have to worry about it coming off ever again.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I wouldn't hesitate to use my super glue trick. The bond is easily broken if you just twist the ramsinks, dont pull it up though.

Cheaper, as efficient and removable when compared to the AS epoxy.