3yr old computer starts...occasionally

nickw1985

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hi, I have an odd problem with my computer I've had for roughly 3 years. When I press the power button 19 times out of 20 nothing happens. It takes roughly 30 mins of pressing the on button every now and again for it to turn on, and usually that's not straight after I've pressed the power button. I've checked all the connections for any looseness (wobbled etc, pushed in). Tried unplugging from mains and back in again but am at a loss to where to start checking parts. Anyone have any advice please?
Also sometimes when it starts all the fans work but it doesn't show anything at screen and it stays in standby as another user has posted recently

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Its probably that your PSU is dying out on you. I suggest to try another PSU to see if that helps if not then it could be your F_panel button's they are crapping out on you and you gotta either raplace it or buy a new case.

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
For curiosity sake, have you always "turned off" your computer when you're not using it?

If you have always done that, you may have actually worn out not only the PSU but ossibly the motherboard as well.

Computers are the one thing in your house you should ALWAYS leave running/on. Never even use the sleep mode that turns off the hard disks. You actually expand the life of the computer by running it constantly because of the power fluctations in turning it on/off all the time.

Most problems I have seen from what you are describing come from those who always turn off/on their PCs as they go.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Computers are the one thing in your house you should ALWAYS leave running/on.

This is VERY debatable. I personally don't turn my PC's off, but this is because they are running SETI@Home. Most people will argue that you SHOULD turn off your PC when you aren't using it. I agree. This is because the power savings from doing so can be very significant in the long run. True, the temperature changes from being turned on and off do wear out a computer after a while, but this time is usually a very long time. (more than the OP's 3 years)

I also believe that this is a PSU problem. As PSU's age, the capacitors provide less and less power, and become less reliable. Try using another PSU, if this is possible. If you need to buy one, I suggest this one. FSP PSU Its a very reliable PSU and will leave some room for upgrades.

Best of Luck

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
[quote="

Computers are the one thing in your house you should ALWAYS leave running/on. .[/quote]

:evil: :evil: Here i was wondering how come the world is facing severe climatic changes, leading to the death of hundreds and thousands of people around the world.

PLEASE SHUT YOUR PC DOWN if your are not using it. :evil:

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[quote="

Computers are the one thing in your house you should ALWAYS leave running/on. .

:evil: :evil: Here i was wondering how come the world is facing severe climatic changes, leading to the death of hundreds and thousands of people around the world.

PLEASE SHUT YOUR PC DOWN if your are not using it. :evil:[/quote]
You now i never thought I'd say this to anyone on these foums about their opinion.

But you sir, are an idiot.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
WOW...that was flamebait if I ever saw one. 8)

Now I'm not going to start off by calling you names but I have at least one question regarding your assumption that a computer should be left on in order to extend it's life.

Considering that most of the parts in the computer that have moving pieces usually have bearings with lifespans measured in "an average lifespan" of thousands of hours, wouldn't leaving it on constantly actually shorten the life of the bearings?

The components of todays electronics are designed knowing full well that they will have power cycled to them and have been built robust enough to withstand thousands more "turning on & off" that most users will encounter in the usable life of the hardware.

I would consider that a computer that is left on constantly will be subject to more undervoltage/overvoltage events than a computer that is on only when someone wants to use it.

Featherstone

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005

PLEASE SHUT YOUR PC DOWN if your are not using it. :evil:

Wow... when did hundreds of thousands of people die from global warming?

Wow... when did hundreds of thousands of people die from global warming?

There's some fairly good correlation between the measured increase in ocean temperatures and the severity of hurricanes/monsoons/typhoons. As recently as last fall a typhoon killed hundreds of people in Southeast Asia. And before that, Hurricane Katrina did a number on New Orleans... If you want evidence I suggest you search for global warming and ocean temperatures on www.sciam.com.