win2k adv server keeps restarting by itself

wE HAVE WINDOWS 2000 aDVANCED SERVER WITH SP4. LAST UPDATES WERE DONE 8
MONTHS BACK.

i DID UPGRADE OUR RAM TO 3GB FROM 1GB 3 WEEKS BACK.

NOW WE HAVE THIS PROBLEM THAT OUR SERVER KEEPS RESTARTING ON ITS OWN. I am
trying to find out the cause of this but havent suceeded. this happens 2
times between 13:00 & 14:00.

how do i find out what is causing this problem & how can i resolve this?

is there a way to disable my main server from accepting rpc or net send msgs
from our LAN for shutdowns.

i need to trace this issue & any assistance on this matter will be highly
appreciated.

we have a file server, exchange server & a 2ndary DC. only the file server
(pdc) has this problem.
2 answers Last reply
More about win2k server restarting itself

    Make sure that auditing of system events is enabled on the server along with
    logon events. That may provide you with clues as to what is happening. Also
    be sure to check the system and application logs for any pertinent info. You
    may also want to enable auditing of process tracking on a temporary basis to
    see if a particular process is happening at the time of the reboots. Process
    tracking can cause a lot of events to be recorded in the security log so I
    would not leave it enabled all the time and be sure to increase the size of
    the security log quite a bit. Reboots can be a hardware problem but if it
    happens at specific times then that is somewhat doubtful. Power brownouts
    can cause this to happen such as if a floor scrubbing crew plugs there 20
    amp floor buffer into the same circuit as the server. If someone can sit and
    monitor the server it might be worthwhile to run a program like Process
    Explorer from SysInternals to watch what is going on but it is possible that
    a process may cause the reboot before it shows on the screen for Process
    Explorer. Shutdown messages should cause events to be recorded in the
    security and system log showing the user and computer that initiated the
    action. A graceful reboot could indicate a remote shutdown while a "crash"
    reboot could indicate a problem with power, hardware problem, or severe
    process conflict..--- Steve

    "sphilip" <sphilip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > wE HAVE WINDOWS 2000 aDVANCED SERVER WITH SP4. LAST UPDATES WERE DONE 8
    > MONTHS BACK.
    >
    > i DID UPGRADE OUR RAM TO 3GB FROM 1GB 3 WEEKS BACK.
    >
    > NOW WE HAVE THIS PROBLEM THAT OUR SERVER KEEPS RESTARTING ON ITS OWN. I am
    > trying to find out the cause of this but havent suceeded. this happens 2
    > times between 13:00 & 14:00.
    >
    > how do i find out what is causing this problem & how can i resolve this?
    >
    > is there a way to disable my main server from accepting rpc or net send
    > msgs
    > from our LAN for shutdowns.
    >
    > i need to trace this issue & any assistance on this matter will be highly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > we have a file server, exchange server & a 2ndary DC. only the file server
    > (pdc) has this problem.

    You may wish to consider running a health check to see if it were infected
    with worm/virus such as Sasser at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

    or try tools such as:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.removal.tool.html

    Do let us know if this helps. thanks!

    "sphilip" wrote:

    > wE HAVE WINDOWS 2000 aDVANCED SERVER WITH SP4. LAST UPDATES WERE DONE 8
    > MONTHS BACK.
    >
    > i DID UPGRADE OUR RAM TO 3GB FROM 1GB 3 WEEKS BACK.
    >
    > NOW WE HAVE THIS PROBLEM THAT OUR SERVER KEEPS RESTARTING ON ITS OWN. I am
    > trying to find out the cause of this but havent suceeded. this happens 2
    > times between 13:00 & 14:00.
    >
    > how do i find out what is causing this problem & how can i resolve this?
    >
    > is there a way to disable my main server from accepting rpc or net send msgs
    > from our LAN for shutdowns.
    >
    > i need to trace this issue & any assistance on this matter will be highly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > we have a file server, exchange server & a 2ndary DC. only the file server
    > (pdc) has this problem.

Windows 2000 Servers Windows