goresnet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Just bought x2 3800+ (for overclocking), gigabyte m55sli m/b, 2g ocz platinum ram, thermaltake 600w psu, and an eVGA 8800gts 320. In xp, after I install the driver that came with the video card, 97.something, I get a black screen. Reboot, load windows into black screen. Displays okay with the generic windows driver. But as soon as I load the nvidia driver, black screen. In vista, same problem. Black screen after driver install.

Different problem, with m/b. On the box it says "vista ready." But there are no vista drivers for it on the cd!

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Different problem, with m/b. On the box it says "vista ready." But there are no vista drivers for it on the cd!
Just read some reviews on this board. I'd be very cautious overclocking it, as it has some real limitations. 25% of the reviews on NewEgg have some kind of issue with this board; many of them display. Also checked the Gigabyte website, and they haven't even posted any Vista drivers. You might want to consider a different board, esp. if you're thinking about any significant kind of overclocking.

goresnet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Fixed the problem... it was my ram. I pulled out 1 stick, ran in single channel perfectly. Put the 2nd back in, ran it in 667mhz, ran fine. I had to flash the bios, then everything ran fine. Dual channel 800... video driver installed and works fine. I get a 5.4 in vista rating because I've only got an x2 3800. Thanks for the suggestions