W2K Adv (SP2) and critical patches

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Application on my W2K Adv. (SP2) server is not certified with any newer
service pack so the SP cannot be updated. No new critical patches in windows
update since last August. Should all critical patches that list W2K Adv. (SP3
or SP4) as the O/S be installed manually on this server since they are not
showing up in windows update due to SP2? Can windows update be tweaked so
that it would list/install all of these patches on an SP2 server? Thanks for
any help.

Hi Pete.

I suggest that you post in the Microsoft.public.windowsupdates newsgroup. If
possible see if there is any way to get the application to work with newer
Service Packs as SP2 is a bit dated to say the least. The other thing you
could try is to build a test box or image your current computer [in case
backup/restore is needed] and try to install those updates to see if they
work as they might, though you may get a message saying SP3 or later
required. I can't tell you for sure because I don't have any SP2 computers
around. It could be that they will install but that MS has not tested them
for problems on SP2 computers. --- Steve