Your question

Good PSU for 8800gtx SLI?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 19, 2007 2:49:59 PM

After years of building my own PCs, last night I experienced for the first time the dreaded PSU melt-down. Smoke, discusting smell of burnt metal... the whole nine yards. Fortunately, I don't think it fried any other components.

I've been using a OCZ GamerXstream 700w in tandum with a TT 250w PowerXpress (which is still working) for 3 months. I've now removed the remains of my GamerXstream and will be exchanging it to keep as a backup PSU.

I'm now looking to get a 850w+ PSU so I can have it run my entire system. I never did like the idea of using the 250w PowerXpress as a band-aid power supply, plus it takes up a case bay and a PCI slot. Through a corporate discount, I get crazy deals on the following PSUs:

Coolermaster Real Power 850w
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

CoolMax GreenPower 1000W

OCZ ProXstream 1000w

Has anyone had any experience with these PSU's or have had first-hand experience and can suggest alternatives?

More about : good psu 8800gtx sli

February 19, 2007 3:30:38 PM

This should work well for you, 60a on 1 continuous +12v rail. (1 good rail > Multiple decent rails) Also this is 750 of actual wattage, I believe 825w is the peak, which peak is what most people advertise like the ones you suggested, but out of those 3 if you want a recommendation I would say go with the OCZ ProXstream 1000w! hope this helps.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Best,

3Ball
February 19, 2007 7:33:44 PM

Quote:
This should work well for you, 60a on 1 continuous +12v rail. (1 good rail > Multiple decent rails) Also this is 750 of actual wattage, I believe 825w is the peak, which peak is what most people advertise like the ones you suggested, but out of those 3 if you want a recommendation I would say go with the OCZ ProXstream 1000w! hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball

Thanks for the advice - I wasn't aware of there were 1 rail, continous power PSU's out there . I've actually decided to go with this:

It was the only one I get a discount on that is on nVidia's "approved 8800gtx SLI" list (for what it's worth...). I still might keep the PowerXpress hooked up to my second 8800 for the extra headroom.
Related resources
February 19, 2007 8:35:59 PM

Hmm, well yea there are a few. It doesnt get much better than PC power and cooling. I havent heard of that, but if it is on there website then maybe they arent to bad. Hope it works out for ya. Let us know how it goes!

Best,

3Ball
February 19, 2007 10:56:37 PM

lol I was wanderin when you were goin to jump into this!

Best,

3Ball
February 19, 2007 11:30:34 PM

ya i pulled out some ocz's not impressed and those psu's you add are a cooling nightmare.

silverstone is the best psu - i use 600-750 both strider and Zeus and they run super cool - no problems with the 750 with crossfire x1950xtx and single gtx's

if your system will be sli you need the 850, maybe bigger?. I have not tried it but the new pc power and cooling psu for $200-$225 looks really nice too.

if you psu is blowing out alot of hot air under heavy load you need to stress test it - the silverstones are very efficient when properly sized they blow warm air barley warm even under moderate load.

When a good efficient psu is blowing alot of hot air usually that means you pushing it - heavy load heats it up the heat lowers the efficiency dropping the psu output making more heat and its a "vicious circle"
February 20, 2007 12:04:04 AM

Thanks for all the imput guys -very helpful. I'm going with the ETASIS for a couple reasons: a friend has been running one in a similar, higher-OC'd system to mine with no problems, all the reviews I've found have been glowing, and it's "SLI-certified" for 8800SLI (not that I usually buy into marketing garbage like this...). Best of all, it was on the list of components that I get a fat discount on.

Again, I still might use my TT PowerXpress for additional headroom. Strange that I've had two bad PSU's on this system (first one was a TT Truepower 850w that was DOA, and now the OCZ) and the little 250w PSU is still chugging along.

If it blows out - knock on wood - I'll pick up a PC Power & Cooling.
February 20, 2007 12:05:19 AM

After looking at your PSU reference list I looked through and It seems this PSU with 68.75A would be better than the Silverstone with 64A correct or am I missing something? Just curious. Here is the link to the one Im referring to. I ask because I am looking at getting a new PSU in the next few months and I am curious is to if this is the best one for my money because I need to stay under or at $250 and this looked good. Oh yea im thinkin about it for the R600 that will eventually come out. I currently have an Antec NeoHE 550w PS!

Best,

3Ball
February 20, 2007 12:28:57 AM

If you have managed to blow a TT TruePower and an OCZ GameXstream, you have an issue somewhere else in your system I think.

Two very high quality PSUs would seem pretty unlucky to blow them both...
February 20, 2007 12:46:52 AM

I have used 5 different high end silverstome psu's and they are best deal - I guess i should have added the 750w can be had $137 at east luna - and its proven to run x1950xtx in crossfire and x1900

i am not sure about 88gtx in sli - so i recommended the 850w

i am really impressed with silverstone's really low temp
February 20, 2007 12:58:24 AM

750 can run 8800GTX's in SLI no problem. I would jump on the price while it is where it is.
February 20, 2007 6:10:10 PM

Quote:
If you have managed to blow a TT TruePower and an OCZ GameXstream, you have an issue somewhere else in your system I think.

Two very high quality PSUs would seem pretty unlucky to blow them both...

Yep, I would be worried about dirty power if this was the case, but like I said above, the only PSU I've had blow out on this system is the OCZ GamerXstream. The TT Truepower 850w was DOA (didn't even turn on). Also, I've had a couple other high-end systems on this socket over the past 4 years with no problem.

I was just making the point that I've had trouble with two expensive PSU's and the one cheapy PowerXpress I have still runs like a champ.
February 20, 2007 6:33:00 PM

Also, I just read that ETASIS actually designs and manufactures PSUs for Silverstone. I'm more confident about the purchase now...
February 20, 2007 9:00:25 PM

dude!!!! a 750 can handle 88's but you have a 7800 gt shown as your gpu. are u guessing? i hate this guy to blow up his system over guess?

i recommended a 750 for 1 gtx and i have not tested it - maybe a 850 for 2 - but he might need 1000 psu.

i read that the major pc manufactures are having big time problems with gtx power needs. also read multiple posts of 800+ psu's not being enough.

sorry to be so rude but did u test 8800's in sli or someone you know has a 750 watt psu and 88's? i really think thats too small??????????/
February 20, 2007 9:13:15 PM

You guys should really start reading up on your PSU knowledge.

Firstly, there are plenty of quality PSU's that don't have more than 650 watts that users are saying power their 8800GTX's in SLI no problem.

The Corsair HX620 for one. Enermax Liberty. Seasonic S12/M12. Andyson server based units (even as low as 600 units).

Remember there's more to a PSU than how much watts it has. 56A combined at the 12V rails should be more than suffice.

There's some great units out there that can handle 8800 SLI easily- Hiper Type R 730, Enermax SGalaxy 850, PC Power and Cooling 750 (60A), Seasonic S12 EP 650 (52A SLI certified), Silverstone 750 ZF.

Also check, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...
A higher ranked PSU is more possible to handle the 8800 SLI during gaming. Most notable units on Tier 1/Z/2 list are:
Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
Corsair HX
Enermax Liberty
Thermaltake Toughpower >600W
OCZ GXS*
Fortron FSP Epsilon* (Epsilon based units have a ripple problem past 400W)
February 20, 2007 9:18:04 PM

Lol thanks Nameless. I know what I'm talking about, I wouldn't suggest something when I didn't.

DragonSprayer: Just because I don't own a pair of 8800GTXs doesn't mean I don't know anything about it. I also don't own a Gigabyte DQ6 but 10 seconds ago I provided an answer saying, yes, a DQ6 will hit ~500 FSB. No, I have never tested it myself but that doesn't change the capability of the hardware.

Of the "multiple posts of 800+ psu's not being enough" I would enjoy viewing just one of them.

mpilch will have a hey day with this one. Remember: Amperage > Wattage
February 20, 2007 9:22:26 PM

My post wasn't directed to you.. Don't worry about it.

Also, I've only heard of people NEEDING Enermax Galaxy 1000's when they have 10 hard drives and a bunch of other unnecessary crap.

Go to youtube.com and look up the world's most powerful computer or 8800gtx sli and you'll see some guy building a PC that uses an Enermax Galaxy 1000.

A 750 with over 56A is more than enough for a system with an over-clocked C2D and SLI 8800GTX's.
February 20, 2007 9:25:24 PM

That would be a Corsair HX620 running dual 8800GTX's, Corsair Dominator memory with the cooler, water cooling and probably an X6800 at the bottom of the page. (Picture wont stick in the post for some reason)

Quote:
Speaking of NVIDIA, Corsair was also proudly showing off its 620W power supply running a pair of GeForce 8800 GTXs, bringing to light the fact that you don’t need an 800W+ PSU to run NVIDIA’s highest end configuration, you just need an efficient PSU.

http://anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2904&p=2
February 20, 2007 9:28:33 PM

Yeah, I would easily trust the Corsair HX620 as the BEST PSU in the 600-750 range. Its efficiency, stability, components and over-all look and finish make it a very great PSU, and it can be found for as little as $130-140.

(If only I actually HAD the $130-140, I'd buy one, but alas, my $100 budget recedes me to the corner of buying an HX520 :(  ) Oh well, the HX520 still gets 40A on the 12V rails combined which is more than enough for my future complete build (8800GTS and Core2Duo over-clocked). I don't use SLI nor do I plan on it, so I know the 520 is enough for me.
February 21, 2007 1:30:01 AM

8) Like I said, I'm not going to recommend something to someone if I know nothing about it. I used to give a suggestion or point to a few reviews and wait for mpilch to come by and give a firm answer. I am comfortable doing this now and there is no reason I shouldn't.

I just thought you would enjoy the comment that there are many people that don't have enough power with 800+ watt PSUs running 8800GTXs.
!