unable to perform "perfmon" on a remote Windows XP Pro

Problem:
When attemtping to perform a "perfmon" from any of my Windows based servers
to one particular Windows XP Pro workstation, I get an "unable to connect"
error immediatly on the server I am trying to execute the perfmon from. It's
almost like it does not even attempt to make a connection to the remote
Windows XP Pro workstation to pull the performance counter information.

Knowns:
1. The id I am using with "perfmon" is an ID that is part of the domain
administrators group.
2. The Domain administrator global group is defined in the remote Windows XP
Pro's local administrators group.
3. I am able to connect with the same ID used with perfmon to make
connections to the remote Windows XP Pro's drives and add and delete anything
on the remotes drives.
4. I have verified diskperf was activated on the remote system.
5. I followed Microsofts KB300702, which did not help me so I removed the
specific user ID (used with perfmon) from the documented areas and just left
the local administrator group in the documented areas.

Question:
Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks

Gary
4 answers Last reply
More about unable perform perfmon remote windows

    Verify that the remote registry service is running on that XP Pro computer
    and check the user rights in Local Security Policy to make sure that they
    match what is shown on a computer that you do not have a problem with as far
    as the administrators group having user rights. --- Steve

    "garytn9988" <garytn9988@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Problem:
    > When attemtping to perform a "perfmon" from any of my Windows based
    > servers
    > to one particular Windows XP Pro workstation, I get an "unable to connect"
    > error immediatly on the server I am trying to execute the perfmon from.
    > It's
    > almost like it does not even attempt to make a connection to the remote
    > Windows XP Pro workstation to pull the performance counter information.
    >

    > Knowns:
    > 1. The id I am using with "perfmon" is an ID that is part of the domain
    > administrators group.
    > 2. The Domain administrator global group is defined in the remote Windows
    > XP
    > Pro's local administrators group.
    > 3. I am able to connect with the same ID used with perfmon to make
    > connections to the remote Windows XP Pro's drives and add and delete
    > anything
    > on the remotes drives.
    > 4. I have verified diskperf was activated on the remote system.
    > 5. I followed Microsofts KB300702, which did not help me so I removed the
    > specific user ID (used with perfmon) from the documented areas and just
    > left
    > the local administrator group in the documented areas.
    >

    > Question:
    > Can anyone help me with this issue?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Gary

    Steven,

    Yes, I verified that the remote registry service is running on that XP Pro
    computer. As far as the Local Security Policy user rights goes, the XP that
    is having the problem appears to have more rights than an XP computerthat has
    less rights defined to the local administrators group and domain admins
    group.

    Example:
    For the "Act as part of the operating system" and "Create a token object"
    policies, the XP that is having the problem has the administrators and domain
    admins groups defined in the policy where as an XP that is not having the
    problem both policies are undefined (No group or user).

    Any other suggestions?

    Thanks

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > Verify that the remote registry service is running on that XP Pro computer
    > and check the user rights in Local Security Policy to make sure that they
    > match what is shown on a computer that you do not have a problem with as far
    > as the administrators group having user rights. --- Steve
    >

    > "garytn9988" <garytn9988@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Problem:
    > > When attemtping to perform a "perfmon" from any of my Windows based
    > > servers
    > > to one particular Windows XP Pro workstation, I get an "unable to connect"
    > > error immediatly on the server I am trying to execute the perfmon from.
    > > It's
    > > almost like it does not even attempt to make a connection to the remote
    > > Windows XP Pro workstation to pull the performance counter information.
    > >

    > > Knowns:
    > > 1. The id I am using with "perfmon" is an ID that is part of the domain
    > > administrators group.
    > > 2. The Domain administrator global group is defined in the remote Windows
    > > XP
    > > Pro's local administrators group.
    > > 3. I am able to connect with the same ID used with perfmon to make
    > > connections to the remote Windows XP Pro's drives and add and delete
    > > anything
    > > on the remotes drives.
    > > 4. I have verified diskperf was activated on the remote system.
    > > 5. I followed Microsofts KB300702, which did not help me so I removed the
    > > specific user ID (used with perfmon) from the documented areas and just
    > > left
    > > the local administrator group in the documented areas.
    > >

    > > Question:
    > > Can anyone help me with this issue?
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Gary

    Steven,

    Yes, I verified that the remote registry service is running on that XP Pro
    computer. As far as the user rights in Local Security Policy, it appears the
    XP which is having the problem has more rights to the administrators and
    domain admins group than an XP which is not having the problem.

    Example:
    For policies "Act as part of the operating system" and "Create a token object"
    the XP that's having the problem the administrators group and the domain
    admins groups are defined in both policies having full control. In an XP that

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > Verify that the remote registry service is running on that XP Pro computer
    > and check the user rights in Local Security Policy to make sure that they
    > match what is shown on a computer that you do not have a problem with as far
    > as the administrators group having user rights. --- Steve
    >

    > "garytn9988" <garytn9988@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Problem:
    > > When attemtping to perform a "perfmon" from any of my Windows based
    > > servers
    > > to one particular Windows XP Pro workstation, I get an "unable to connect"
    > > error immediatly on the server I am trying to execute the perfmon from.
    > > It's
    > > almost like it does not even attempt to make a connection to the remote
    > > Windows XP Pro workstation to pull the performance counter information.
    > >

    > > Knowns:
    > > 1. The id I am using with "perfmon" is an ID that is part of the domain
    > > administrators group.
    > > 2. The Domain administrator global group is defined in the remote Windows
    > > XP
    > > Pro's local administrators group.
    > > 3. I am able to connect with the same ID used with perfmon to make
    > > connections to the remote Windows XP Pro's drives and add and delete
    > > anything
    > > on the remotes drives.
    > > 4. I have verified diskperf was activated on the remote system.
    > > 5. I followed Microsofts KB300702, which did not help me so I removed the
    > > specific user ID (used with perfmon) from the documented areas and just
    > > left
    > > the local administrator group in the documented areas.
    > >

    > > Question:
    > > Can anyone help me with this issue?
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Gary

    I can't think of anything else offhand. You might want to enable auditing of
    object access and privilege use for failure only and logon events for
    success and failure on that computer in Local Security Policy to see if
    anything helpful shows up in the security log on that XP Pro computer. ---

    > Steven,
    >
    > Yes, I verified that the remote registry service is running on that XP Pro
    > computer. As far as the user rights in Local Security Policy, it appears
    > the
    > XP which is having the problem has more rights to the administrators and
    > domain admins group than an XP which is not having the problem.
    >
    > Example:
    > For policies "Act as part of the operating system" and "Create a token
    > object"
    > the XP that's having the problem the administrators group and the domain
    > admins groups are defined in both policies having full control. In an XP
    > that
    > is not having the problem both policies are undefined.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    >
    >> Verify that the remote registry service is running on that XP Pro
    >> computer
    >> and check the user rights in Local Security Policy to make sure that they
    >> match what is shown on a computer that you do not have a problem with as
    >> far
    >> as the administrators group having user rights. --- Steve
    >>

    >> "garytn9988" <garytn9988@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Problem:
    >> > When attemtping to perform a "perfmon" from any of my Windows based
    >> > servers
    >> > to one particular Windows XP Pro workstation, I get an "unable to
    >> > connect"
    >> > error immediatly on the server I am trying to execute the perfmon from.
    >> > It's
    >> > almost like it does not even attempt to make a connection to the remote
    >> > Windows XP Pro workstation to pull the performance counter information.
    >> >

    >> > Knowns:
    >> > 1. The id I am using with "perfmon" is an ID that is part of the domain
    >> > administrators group.
    >> > 2. The Domain administrator global group is defined in the remote
    >> > Windows
    >> > XP
    >> > Pro's local administrators group.
    >> > 3. I am able to connect with the same ID used with perfmon to make
    >> > connections to the remote Windows XP Pro's drives and add and delete
    >> > anything
    >> > on the remotes drives.
    >> > 4. I have verified diskperf was activated on the remote system.
    >> > 5. I followed Microsofts KB300702, which did not help me so I removed
    >> > the
    >> > specific user ID (used with perfmon) from the documented areas and just
    >> > left
    >> > the local administrator group in the documented areas.
    >> >

    >> > Question:
    >> > Can anyone help me with this issue?
    >> >

    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Gary

Connection Workstations Windows XP Windows