Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5W DH wont boot from cd rom.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 19, 2007 3:34:01 PM

I have a Asus P5W DH and I cant seem to boot from cd rom to run memtest I have verified that cd rom is my first boot device but still it just will not boot it is trying when I have any bootable cd in the drive the computer just wont boot at all when I remove the cd. the computer boots fine. I have changed cd roms (still doesnt boot) put mine in my other computer (worked fine) I tried to roll back the bios to previous (still doesnt work) I cant even boot windows xp cd so if I had to reload windows I couldnt. I have removed my hard drives and still wont boot to cd. here is my setup.
asus p5w dh 1707 bios
e6300
x1950xt
pioneer 111 d cd roms
74gb raptor hd.
supertalent 2048 mem.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

More about : asus p5w wont boot rom

February 19, 2007 4:14:34 PM

Did you check all your cables to make sure they are plugged in all the way? When u boot up into your Bios does it show your CD-Rom on the first screen?

I have the same setup, but with two IDE DVD burner's. When I boot into my bios I see them both listed on that first Bios screen.
February 19, 2007 4:23:43 PM

thanx for the reply yes I have checked the cables they are plugged in all the way and I do see the drives on the boot screen. I have dual drives I have changed both of them from master to slave and still nothing. the drives work fine under windows just cant boot from them and it seems to try cause with a boot disk in the computer wont start at all just hangs at boot.
Related resources
February 19, 2007 4:47:37 PM

Strange. Have you tried clearing your CMOS with the jumper? I would try that next. Just power down the pc, unplug the power cord, then change the CMOS jumper. After that I am out of suggestions sorry.
February 19, 2007 8:39:41 PM

Yes I have cleared the cmos by the jumper and it still wont boot from cd. I even changed the bios to 16** and the same no boot from cd rom. I did notice that when I clear the cmos that my saved overclock settings are still there. that means some part of the bios doesnt get clear when I clear it. is there any way to clear all of the bios. even the saved settings. the part that is strange is when it tries to boot from the cd that the light blinks and then the computer just goes into a cycle the monitor flashes and just doesn't boot.
February 20, 2007 1:01:16 PM

Quote:
thanx for the reply yes I have checked the cables they are plugged in all the way and I do see the drives on the boot screen. I have dual drives I have changed both of them from master to slave and still nothing. the drives work fine under windows just cant boot from them and it seems to try cause with a boot disk in the computer wont start at all just hangs at boot.

One of each, I hope.

As I have read in the manual, I have to ask, what port do you have the drives plugged in to? According to the manual, the PRI_EIDE controller at the bottom of the board does not support ATAPI devices.
February 20, 2007 2:34:57 PM

sorry for the misstatement with both cd roms set. (1 master and 1 slave ) It wont boot I even tried cable select and still wont boot I am also using the pri ide on the side of the board near the floppy header. the last time it booted from cd was when I installed windows about 3 weeks ago. the only thing I changed since then was the monitor.

thanx jerry
February 21, 2007 5:01:02 AM

In addition to removing the AC and moving the jumper to clear the CMOS, you could also remove the CMOS battery. Leave the jumper se to clear for at least one minute.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 117 V Motherboard
February 21, 2007 5:16:35 AM

Have you tried just the lazy f8 on start to get the bios boot menu and select the cd rom in there?

Just to make sure...
under boot you have it set to CD-ROM/FDD/HDD

sorry if this is covered....was just checking...
February 21, 2007 6:25:01 AM

Hi,
Had the same problem using the Intel PATA port on the board and a NEC ND 3551 drive. The board would only boot from XP or Vista installation cd/dvd and nothing else. Apparently, it is fixed using Compatible mode for SATA/PATA controllers and forcing the drive to PIO-0 DMA-1 modes. It can be done in the Standard BIOS Settings in ASUS BIOS. Lately, Isaw that it has been fixed in 1707 firmware.

Hope this helps you.
February 22, 2007 4:10:58 PM

thanx for all the help on this but I finally figured it out. this is the deal I am using a 32inch lcd toshiba monitor the resolution is 1024x768 when my computer posts it is a compatible resolution but after it posts and when it goes into the boot from cd mode the resolution changes and the screen just starts to flash I guess from the resolution change. when I boot the computer using a hdmi cable with the monitor i see the cd rom boot and I can run mem test.
!