Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urge..

Dear All,

Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urgently

I am using windows 2000 sp4 profession. Expect my computer was inflected by
Blaster Worn and computer keep on restart.

After I enter services.msc and select stop use RPC and install
Windows2000-KB823980-x86-CHT.exe and reboot the computer. The auto
restart is fixed.

BUT a serious problem come up! when I enter services.msc and try to re-set
the RPC to auto mode, found it is locked and not allow me to change the
RPC setting. Also I can't conncet to internet.

Can you please advise how I can fix it ?

Many many thx for your advise.
3 answers Last reply
More about problem remote procedure call urge

    "123" <km123hk@hutchcity.com> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    >
    > Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urgently
    >
    > I am using windows 2000 sp4 profession. Expect my computer was inflected
    by
    > Blaster Worn and computer keep on restart.
    >
    > After I enter services.msc and select stop use RPC and install
    > Windows2000-KB823980-x86-CHT.exe and reboot the computer. The auto
    > restart is fixed.
    >
    > BUT a serious problem come up! when I enter services.msc and try to
    re-set
    > the RPC to auto mode, found it is locked and not allow me to change the
    > RPC setting. Also I can't conncet to internet.
    >
    > Can you please advise how I can fix it ?
    >
    > Many many thx for your advise.

    Well, the right answer is to restore the system
    from backup (but one presumes you would have
    done that if you had such a backup.)

    [And I VERY seldom recommend re-installs but
    this might be such a case.]

    Probably best attempt without a backup is to do a
    "Repair Install".

    This is probably the most overlooked procedure in
    modern Windows systems.

    Install from the original CDROM -- and choose the
    same directory -- MAKE SURE that your are prompted
    for "REPAIR".

    Although a virus MIGHT survive in some minor file,
    at least it will (temporarily) fix all the main files.

    You might also try following this from one of the
    CD based "Virus rescue disks" BEFORE you boot
    back into the system.

    Between the two procedures you might find all of
    it.

    This system can never again be truly trusted however.

    You could try it in Safe Mode or from the Recovery Console using Enable
    command.

    enable {service_name | device_driver_name} [startup_type]

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/recovery_console_cmds.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/bootcons_enable.htm

    John

    123 wrote:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urgently
    >
    > I am using windows 2000 sp4 profession. Expect my computer was inflected by
    > Blaster Worn and computer keep on restart.
    >
    > After I enter services.msc and select stop use RPC and install
    > Windows2000-KB823980-x86-CHT.exe and reboot the computer. The auto
    > restart is fixed.
    >
    > BUT a serious problem come up! when I enter services.msc and try to re-set
    > the RPC to auto mode, found it is locked and not allow me to change the
    > RPC setting. Also I can't conncet to internet.
    >
    > Can you please advise how I can fix it ?
    >
    > Many many thx for your advise.

    As Herb suggested a reinstall may be your best bet and shortest path to
    success. Keep in mind that if you do such you first want to decrypt and EFS
    encrypted files if you ever did such. Also make sure you are logged on as an
    administrator. If it still does not work see the link below on how to use
    secedit to reset defined security settings back to defined default levels
    which may help you access the service. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222 --- you can
    copy and paste this command into the command window on your computer.

    > Dear All,
    >
    > Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urgently
    >
    > I am using windows 2000 sp4 profession. Expect my computer was inflected
    > by
    > Blaster Worn and computer keep on restart.
    >
    > After I enter services.msc and select stop use RPC and install
    > Windows2000-KB823980-x86-CHT.exe and reboot the computer. The auto
    > restart is fixed.
    >
    > BUT a serious problem come up! when I enter services.msc and try to
    > re-set
    > the RPC to auto mode, found it is locked and not allow me to change the
    > RPC setting. Also I can't conncet to internet.
    >
    > Can you please advise how I can fix it ?
    >
    > Many many thx for your advise.

RPC Computers Windows 2000 Windows