Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urge..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 8, 2005 8:57:21 PM

Dear All,

Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urgently

I am using windows 2000 sp4 profession. Expect my computer was inflected by
Blaster Worn and computer keep on restart.

After I enter services.msc and select stop use RPC and install
Windows2000-KB823980-x86-CHT.exe and reboot the computer. The auto
restart is fixed.

BUT a serious problem come up! when I enter services.msc and try to re-set
the RPC to auto mode, found it is locked and not allow me to change the
RPC setting. Also I can't conncet to internet.

Can you please advise how I can fix it ?

Many many thx for your advise.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:57:22 PM

"123" <km123hk@hutchcity.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urgently
>
> I am using windows 2000 sp4 profession. Expect my computer was inflected
by
> Blaster Worn and computer keep on restart.
>
> After I enter services.msc and select stop use RPC and install
> Windows2000-KB823980-x86-CHT.exe and reboot the computer. The auto
> restart is fixed.
>
> BUT a serious problem come up! when I enter services.msc and try to
re-set
> the RPC to auto mode, found it is locked and not allow me to change the
> RPC setting. Also I can't conncet to internet.
>
> Can you please advise how I can fix it ?
>
> Many many thx for your advise.

Well, the right answer is to restore the system
from backup (but one presumes you would have
done that if you had such a backup.)

[And I VERY seldom recommend re-installs but
this might be such a case.]

Probably best attempt without a backup is to do a
"Repair Install".

This is probably the most overlooked procedure in
modern Windows systems.

Install from the original CDROM -- and choose the
same directory -- MAKE SURE that your are prompted
for "REPAIR".

Although a virus MIGHT survive in some minor file,
at least it will (temporarily) fix all the main files.

You might also try following this from one of the
CD based "Virus rescue disks" BEFORE you boot
back into the system.

Between the two procedures you might find all of
it.

This system can never again be truly trusted however.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:57:22 PM

You could try it in Safe Mode or from the Recovery Console using Enable
command.

enable {service_name | device_driver_name} [startup_type]

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/d...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/b...

John

123 wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Problem about RPC (remote procedure call) - need help urgently
>
> I am using windows 2000 sp4 profession. Expect my computer was inflected by
> Blaster Worn and computer keep on restart.
>
> After I enter services.msc and select stop use RPC and install
> Windows2000-KB823980-x86-CHT.exe and reboot the computer. The auto
> restart is fixed.
>
> BUT a serious problem come up! when I enter services.msc and try to re-set
> the RPC to auto mode, found it is locked and not allow me to change the
> RPC setting. Also I can't conncet to internet.
>
> Can you please advise how I can fix it ?
>
> Many many thx for your advise.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:57:22 PM

As Herb suggested a reinstall may be your best bet and shortest path to
success. Keep in mind that if you do such you first want to decrypt and EFS
encrypted files if you ever did such. Also make sure you are logged on as an
administrator. If it still does not work see the link below on how to use
secedit to reset defined security settings back to defined default levels
which may help you access the service. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222 --- you can
copy and paste this command into the command window on your computer.

!