"Error" in built-in search utility

I am trying to find a file that I, horror of horrors, in spite of
thinking I made multiple backups, I can't find. I have tried using the
Search feature in XP and just realized something bad. THe built-in
search engine, that you get on the main start menu, doesn't seem to
search inside all files. How do I know this? Because when I specify
that the file name contains .wpd, and I know that I have a Wordperfect
file that contains the string I'm searching for, that file does not show
up in the search results. How can I search for a file that is a
Wordperfect file that contains a given string, since the XP search
utility refuses to look in WP files? Thanks.

Ken
2 answers Last reply
More about error built search utility

    Here's a program I use and it puts the one in XP to shame.
    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx
    It is a free program, give it a shot.

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 01:07:52 GMT, The Litwaks
    <litwakfamily@verizon.net> wrote:

    >I am trying to find a file that I, horror of horrors, in spite of
    >thinking I made multiple backups, I can't find. I have tried using the
    >Search feature in XP and just realized something bad. THe built-in
    >search engine, that you get on the main start menu, doesn't seem to
    >search inside all files. How do I know this? Because when I specify
    >that the file name contains .wpd, and I know that I have a Wordperfect
    >file that contains the string I'm searching for, that file does not show
    >up in the search results. How can I search for a file that is a
    >Wordperfect file that contains a given string, since the XP search
    >utility refuses to look in WP files? Thanks.
    >

    >Ken

    Dan (Still going in circles)

    This may help you:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~lreynol929/ruXP/StrtMenu/FORCEXP.HTM

    "The Litwaks" <litwakfamily@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to find a file that I, horror of horrors, in spite of thinking
    >I made multiple backups, I can't find. I have tried using the Search
    >feature in XP and just realized something bad. THe built-in search engine,
    >that you get on the main start menu, doesn't seem to search inside all
    >files. How do I know this? Because when I specify that the file name
    >contains .wpd, and I know that I have a Wordperfect file that contains the
    >string I'm searching for, that file does not show up in the search results.
    >How can I search for a file that is a Wordperfect file that contains a
    >given string, since the XP search utility refuses to look in WP files?
    >Thanks.
    >

    > Ken

Windows XP