NTFS and Shares ritghts vs. Netware Rights

Hello

I would like to combine share and NTFS rights to produce the same effect
than in Netware. That is: have a root directory with no NTFS rights on it
that I would share and when connecting to that share it would only list all
the subdirectories that I have rights for. That is pretty simple in Netware.
I tried the same on a Windows server but the result is not the same: I can
access the share but see no subfolfer even if NTFS rights are set for some
subfolders. Why ? I thought also give List rights to the root folder but then
users see all the directories even those they have no access for (even if
they can do nothing with the data, I don't think this is a real good deal).

Can someone help me ?

Thanks
Nicolas
3 answers Last reply
More about ntfs shares ritghts netware rights

    You are seeing how NTFS permissions define access.
    With list one what execute on the folder in order to enumerate
    what is in it, whether you have access to those things or not.
    In that regard it is fairly Unix-ish.

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
    "Nicolas Heyer" <NicolasHeyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I would like to combine share and NTFS rights to produce the same effect
    > than in Netware. That is: have a root directory with no NTFS rights on it
    > that I would share and when connecting to that share it would only list
    > all
    > the subdirectories that I have rights for. That is pretty simple in
    > Netware.
    > I tried the same on a Windows server but the result is not the same: I can
    > access the share but see no subfolfer even if NTFS rights are set for some
    > subfolders. Why ? I thought also give List rights to the root folder but
    > then
    > users see all the directories even those they have no access for (even if
    > they can do nothing with the data, I don't think this is a real good
    > deal).
    >
    > Can someone help me ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nicolas

    Thanks for your reply, but I did not really understand what you mean...

    Have I on the root folder to set the "List folder" right and stop the
    inheritance on those subfolders I do not want people to see ?

    Regards
    Nicolas

    "Roger Abell [MVP]" wrote:

    > You are seeing how NTFS permissions define access.
    > With list one what execute on the folder in order to enumerate
    > what is in it, whether you have access to those things or not.
    > In that regard it is fairly Unix-ish.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security)
    > MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
    > "Nicolas Heyer" <NicolasHeyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I would like to combine share and NTFS rights to produce the same effect
    > > than in Netware. That is: have a root directory with no NTFS rights on it
    > > that I would share and when connecting to that share it would only list
    > > all
    > > the subdirectories that I have rights for. That is pretty simple in
    > > Netware.
    > > I tried the same on a Windows server but the result is not the same: I can
    > > access the share but see no subfolfer even if NTFS rights are set for some
    > > subfolders. Why ? I thought also give List rights to the root folder but
    > > then
    > > users see all the directories even those they have no access for (even if
    > > they can do nothing with the data, I don't think this is a real good
    > > deal).
    > >
    > > Can someone help me ?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Nicolas

    If people will do a deep mapping directly to
    \\server\share\theirsubdir
    they do not need list on \\server\share
    If they will browse to it, then they need the grant of list,
    which will let them enumerated (the names of) all the objects
    at that level
    That is the meaning of the list permissions, which effectively
    lets them execute the directory enumeration, i.e seeing the
    entries in the directory, without regard to their permissons
    to access those objects. Unlike Windows and Unix, Netware
    behaves differently.

    --
    > Thanks for your reply, but I did not really understand what you mean...
    >
    > Have I on the root folder to set the "List folder" right and stop the
    > inheritance on those subfolders I do not want people to see ?
    >
    > Regards
    > Nicolas
    >
    > "Roger Abell [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> You are seeing how NTFS permissions define access.
    >> With list one what execute on the folder in order to enumerate
    >> what is in it, whether you have access to those things or not.
    >> In that regard it is fairly Unix-ish.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roger Abell
    >> Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security)
    >> MCDBA, MCSE W2k3+W2k+Nt4
    >> "Nicolas Heyer" <NicolasHeyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello
    >> >
    >> > I would like to combine share and NTFS rights to produce the same
    >> > effect
    >> > than in Netware. That is: have a root directory with no NTFS rights on
    >> > it
    >> > that I would share and when connecting to that share it would only list
    >> > all
    >> > the subdirectories that I have rights for. That is pretty simple in
    >> > Netware.
    >> > I tried the same on a Windows server but the result is not the same: I
    >> > can
    >> > access the share but see no subfolfer even if NTFS rights are set for
    >> > some
    >> > subfolders. Why ? I thought also give List rights to the root folder
    >> > but
    >> > then
    >> > users see all the directories even those they have no access for (even
    >> > if
    >> > they can do nothing with the data, I don't think this is a real good
    >> > deal).
    >> >
    >> > Can someone help me ?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Nicolas