Has anyone come across this problem before?

King_Ging

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I've built this rig in September, and everything was working fine for a while:

Case: Thermaltake VB6000BWS Swing
MOBO: MSI K9N Platinum
CPU: AMD X2 +3800 AM2 @ 2.10 GHz (just above stock)
GPU: ATI Radeon X800XL, running Catalyst 7.1 drivers
RAM: Corsair XMS 2 TWIN2X1024-5400C4 Matched Pairs(2x512MB) Xtreme Memory DDR2 667Mhz PC5400 240-pin Unbuffered
HDD: 1 Seagate 7200.9 250GB (ST3250620AS), 1 Seagate 7200.10 320 GB (ST3320620AS)
PSU: Enermax NoiseTaker II EG-425P-VE Ver.2.2 SFMA P Series 420 Watt

However, a couple months ago I started having an annoying problem. Whenever I start up the system, it gets through the "Starting windows XP" screen with the blue progress bar, and then it immediately reboots.

Once it reboots, it brings up the "Sorry, but Windows did not start properly last time" and gives the typical options, i.e Safe Mode, Command Prompt, Start Windows Normally, etc. I always choose Start Windows Normally, and then everything boots up fine. This happens EVERY time I turn the system on.

I have a feeling its a software problem, and I'm pretty sure it started after I installed the Catalyst 6.11 or 6.12.

While this isn't critical, its become a great annoyance, and clearly should not be happening. My question is, has anyone come across this error? If so, what was the cause? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance!

akhilles

Splendid
Ok, is it a cold boot issue? As in going home & turning the pc on & xp crashes/reboots? You can leave it running in bios for 30 mins before booting to windows to confirm this.

King_Ging

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I don't think its a strictly COLD boot issue, since sometimes recently I've been playing Far Cry, and just as a level finishes loading, the computer reboots, and the problem mentioned above repeats itself. Also, if I reboot the computer, ie after installing new drivers/software, the same thing happens. However, I'll try the bios waiting period anyway.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Sounds like a PSU problem to me. If your having issues with random restarts, ESPECIALLY while gaming or under a heavy load, the PSU is likely at fault. I suggest a new PSU.

Best of Luck

King_Ging

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
First of all, thanks for the quick replies.

I tried the hanging out in BIOS for half an hour thing, but the problem persisted.

Sounds like a PSU problem to me. If your having issues with random restarts, ESPECIALLY while gaming or under a heavy load, the PSU is likely at fault. I suggest a new PSU.

I never have trouble with random restarts, besides in Far Cry (although I do have it running at near max settings, so I guess that is a heavy load for an x800xl). I hope its not a PSU problem, but I certainly won't rule that out.

This restart problem is deterministic - it happens EVERY time i restart the computer, just after Windows is finished with the blue progress bar screen.

Also, I've been dual booting Vista, and due to complications i had with installing vista, I've subsequently have had a clean install of XP on a separate partition, and booting into either of those has given me no problems. This problem predates my dual boot attempts, and so its unrelated to that.
I'm only willing to do a clean install of windows as a last resort, but since i would re-install the same software and bring it back to this same configuration, i feel like this problem would probably rear its head again, and so I'm hoping to find out the root cause.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Try running a repair on that installation of Windows. It'll basically reinstall all of your hardware, you'll need to reinstall your gfx drivers afterwards, Windows updates too I believe. All of your programs and settings will be saved.

-boot from the XP disk
-continue beyond the option for recovery console
-eventually you'll get to a screen showing your current installations of windows.
-select the installation of Windows you want to fix and press 'R'

King_Ging

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Okay, I tried uninstalling all my ATI drivers, etc. When i restarted, it booted up fine (of course the screen was at a low resolution since I had no video drivers installed).

When I reinstalled the ATI display drivers (v. 7.1), the reboot problem happened again. Catalyst Control Centre is NOT installed, thus I am pretty sure its the drivers causing this problem.

What could be the cause of this? Bad card? software conflict? Hardware conflict?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Have you gone on the manufacturer's website and downloaded the latest drivers? (Not the driver that came on the CD.)

Edit: Yes, I see from the manufacturer's web that is the latest driver. Before you do a "repair" run memtest86, just to eliminate some easier stuff. If you're not overclocking, you should get no errors. It's not ness a driver issue. The Catalyst driver uses a lot more resources than a safe mode driver and it appears to be putting a strain on something in your system, otherwise it wouldn't be sporadic. If it's not the memory, then I'm with the ^^^^poster that suggested PSU.

King_Ging

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I tried doing a repair install..however, it hangs when estimated time left is 34 minutes every time, and so now that installation is toast (maybe?).

I'm typing this on a fresh install on a seperate partition. Now my problem is losing all my semi-important data (emails, bookmarks, etc) from that old installation...any way to transfer settings like that from within the new installation (since the old one is now completely unbootable)?

King_Ging

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Nevermind..i can just copy the application data from documents and settings. Looks like im doing a clean install.

This has become a real hassle. Oh well, i guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for the help.