RPC service, how to make sure it's up to date

Hi,

Win 2kPro, sps 0, 4 and 5 (but no sp3 shows in the registry). Latest
avast! prog.
I know nothing about RPC. My RPC sometimes doesn't start, so avast! av
has a problem scanning properly.

How can I make sure I should install an update of RPC, and which version
to use? I don't want to damage my system.

I've d/l Q298012_W2K_SP3_x86_en.EXE from MS, which seems to apply to my
system, but am not sure if I should install it.

Thanks for any help.

Dugie
5 answers Last reply
More about service make date

    If you are using Service Pack 4 and your computers are current with all
    critical level security updates as shown when you visit Windows Updates you
    should be in good shape as far as RPC assuming the computers have not been
    infected. You should also paradoxically scan for parasites with something
    like the free for personal use AdAware SE. Since you are having trouble
    scanning for malware, download the free Sysclean from Trend Micro. It is a
    stand alone malware detection and removal tool that will detect and remove
    many [not all] common malwares. You simply need to download Sysclean and the
    pattern file for it to a common directory/folder to run from. The pattern
    file will need to be unzipped first. Make sure you are using a firewall to
    protect your computers and that your virus scan program scans ALL of your
    email attachments. The links below contain more details. --- Steve

    http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet --- AdAware SE
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp --- Sysclean
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp --- pattern file in .zip
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx -- Protect
    your PC

    > If you are using Service Pack 4 and your computers are current with
    all
    > critical level security updates as shown when you visit Windows
    Updates you
    > should be in good shape as far as RPC assuming the computers have not
    been
    > infected. You should also paradoxically scan for parasites with
    something
    > like the free for personal use AdAware SE. Since you are having
    trouble
    > scanning for malware, download the free Sysclean from Trend Micro. It
    is a
    > stand alone malware detection and removal tool that will detect and
    remove
    > many [not all] common malwares. You simply need to download Sysclean
    and the
    > pattern file for it to a common directory/folder to run from. The
    pattern
    > file will need to be unzipped first. Make sure you are using a
    firewall to
    > protect your computers and that your virus scan program scans ALL of
    your
    > email attachments. The links below contain more details. --- Steve
    >
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet ---
    AdAware SE
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp --- Sysclean
    > http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp --- pattern file in
    ..zip
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx --
    Protect
    > your PC

    Thank you for an excellent reply, Steven, and for providing the links.
    Win Update shows my system is current; I have it set to auto-update/ask.
    I'll leave RPC as it is, since I'm unsure.

    I've been running McAfee 7.0 av and firewall, but because they give bad
    serivce switched to AVG and avast!.
    I run Spybot S&D and use its resident feature, Sygate Personal Firewall,
    WinPatrol and PestPatrol. I have done some scans with avast's emergency
    cleaner. I'll try the Sysclean. Avast is excellent at scanning, if
    configured, all emails and attachements, etc.

    Does svchost.exe have anything to do with RPC?

    Thanks, Dugie

    Hi Dugie.

    Yes RPC is a service that will show as a svchost process running on your
    computer. Are you having a particular problem or is this a firewall
    rning? -- Steve

    > Hi Dugie.
    >
    > Yes RPC is a service that will show as a svchost process running on
    your
    > computer. Are you having a particular problem or is this a firewall
    > rning? -- Steve

    Thanks.
    Problem is sometime RPC doesn't start even though it's set to auto, and
    avast needs it running to operate properly.

    I don't understand what your last sentence means- rning?

    I also can't get any Office apps, like Word 2000 SP-1, to run for about
    a month, either. Shortcuts and program folders are there.
    The messages I get are:
    ---
    First Opening doc err window:
    "The doc name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    *Check the file permissions for the doc or drive.
    *Use the File Open dialog box to locate the doc docname.doc.
    OK"

    Select OK, get:

    Second Opening doc err window:
    "The doc name or path is not valid.
    Try one or more of the following:
    *Check the path to make sure it was type correctly.
    *On the File menu, click Open. Search for the file using this dialog
    box:
    (...\docname.doc)
    Ok"

    Word then shuts down.

    When I select New or open:

    "Problems with shortcut
    This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."
    then...
    "Windows Explorer
    (Yellow !) Unable to run this command.
    Ok."
    ---

    I used the original disk to look for a repair option, but couldn't find
    one.

    Dugie

    My last sentence was firewall running - sorry about that. As far as Word
    search for the file winword.exe and try to run it from the folder where it
    exists to see if that works and if it does your shortcut is pointing to the
    wrong location. It may help to uninstall Word/Office and reinstall it and it
    may even prompt you for repair when you try such. You seem to have more than
    a few things going on. It may be worth your while to do an upgrade install
    of the operating system. You can put the install disk in the cdrom drive
    while the operating system is running and then when it starts the install be
    SURE to select upgrade install. You will however need to product key from
    the install disk to do such and when done you will first need to install
    your service pack and then all critical updates from Windows Updates. System
    File Checker could be something else you want to try first as in sfc
    /scannow, The links below explain more. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222471
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814510
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952 ---
    description of upgrade install

    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi Dugie.
    >>
    >> Yes RPC is a service that will show as a svchost process running on
    > your
    >> computer. Are you having a particular problem or is this a firewall
    >> rning? -- Steve
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Problem is sometime RPC doesn't start even though it's set to auto, and
    > avast needs it running to operate properly.
    >
    > I don't understand what your last sentence means- rning?
    >
    > I also can't get any Office apps, like Word 2000 SP-1, to run for about
    > a month, either. Shortcuts and program folders are there.
    > The messages I get are:
    > ---
    > First Opening doc err window:
    > "The doc name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    > *Check the file permissions for the doc or drive.
    > *Use the File Open dialog box to locate the doc docname.doc.
    > OK"
    >
    > Select OK, get:
    >
    > Second Opening doc err window:
    > "The doc name or path is not valid.
    > Try one or more of the following:
    > *Check the path to make sure it was type correctly.
    > *On the File menu, click Open. Search for the file using this dialog
    > box:
    > (...\docname.doc)
    > Ok"
    >
    > Word then shuts down.
    >
    > When I select New or open:
    >
    > "Problems with shortcut
    > This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."
    > then...
    > "Windows Explorer
    > (Yellow !) Unable to run this command.
    > Ok."
    > ---
    >
    > I used the original disk to look for a repair option, but couldn't find
    > one.
    >
    > Dugie

RPC Microsoft Windows