IP Address change

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
March 11, 2005 12:22:12 PM

I need to know if there is a way to allow a user to change the IP address of
a laptop PC without having administrative access.

Anyone know of a quick solution to this?

Users are connecting to multiple IP devices, and need to enter a different
IP Address to get access to each.

Thanks in advance....

More about : address change

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 12:32:21 AM

This can be done in XP but not in Windows 2000 [at least not without access
to admin credentials via runas] . There are third party programs such as Net
Switcher that seem to be popular though I have not tried it myself but they
do have a free download you can try out. --- Steve

http://www.netswitcher.com/ -- link to Netswitcher

"kevin Merrick" <VH1777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to know if there is a way to allow a user to change the IP address
>of
> a laptop PC without having administrative access.
>
> Anyone know of a quick solution to this?
>
> Users are connecting to multiple IP devices, and need to enter a different
> IP Address to get access to each.
>
> Thanks in advance....

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 12, 2005 2:55:47 AM

kevin Merrick wrote:
> I need to know if there is a way to allow a user to change the IP
> address of a laptop PC without having administrative access.
>
> Anyone know of a quick solution to this?
>
> Users are connecting to multiple IP devices, and need to enter a
> different IP Address to get access to each.
>
> Thanks in advance....

Well, barring the fact that I simply cannot understand why, in 2005, any
network is running with statics anyway, look into netsh. Not sure how it
handles user v. admin...there may be a good way to script it, tho.

Again, why ain't these people using DHCP???
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 5:23:08 AM

Leafing through microsoft.public.win2000.security, I read a message from
lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com of 11 Mar 2005:

> Well, barring the fact that I simply cannot understand why, in 2005, any
> network is running with statics anyway, look into netsh. Not sure how it
> handles user v. admin...there may be a good way to script it, tho.
>
> Again, why ain't these people using DHCP???

I wish we could. We use an app that has to connect to a UNIX box. Every PC
needs a specific static IP to connect to its own port on the UNIX box.

Phil M.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 13, 2005 1:20:34 PM

Phil M. wrote:
> Leafing through microsoft.public.win2000.security, I read a message
> from lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com of 11
> Mar 2005:
>
>> Well, barring the fact that I simply cannot understand why, in 2005,
>> any network is running with statics anyway, look into netsh. Not
>> sure how it handles user v. admin...there may be a good way to
>> script it, tho.
>>
>> Again, why ain't these people using DHCP???
>
> I wish we could. We use an app that has to connect to a UNIX box.
> Every PC needs a specific static IP to connect to its own port on the
> UNIX box.
>
> Phil M.

DHCP reservations!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 12:43:52 AM

Leafing through microsoft.public.win2000.security, I read a message from
lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com of 13 Mar 2005:

> Phil M. wrote:
>> Leafing through microsoft.public.win2000.security, I read a message
>> from lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com of 11
>> Mar 2005:
>>
>>> Well, barring the fact that I simply cannot understand why, in 2005,
>>> any network is running with statics anyway, look into netsh. Not
>>> sure how it handles user v. admin...there may be a good way to
>>> script it, tho.
>>>
>>> Again, why ain't these people using DHCP???
>>
>> I wish we could. We use an app that has to connect to a UNIX box.
>> Every PC needs a specific static IP to connect to its own port on the
>> UNIX box.
>>
>> Phil M.
>
> DHCP reservations!

Yep. That was a thought. But with the frequency of hardware changes, I
haven't bothered to do that.

Phil M.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 14, 2005 2:11:04 PM

Phil M. wrote:
> Leafing through microsoft.public.win2000.security, I read a message
> from lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com of 13
> Mar 2005:
>
>> Phil M. wrote:
>>> Leafing through microsoft.public.win2000.security, I read a message
>>> from lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com of 11
>>> Mar 2005:

>>> I wish we could. We use an app that has to connect to a UNIX box.
>>> Every PC needs a specific static IP to connect to its own port on
>>> the UNIX box.
>>>
>>> Phil M.
>>
>> DHCP reservations!
>
> Yep. That was a thought. But with the frequency of hardware changes, I
> haven't bothered to do that.
>
> Phil M.

Are you often swapping out NICs?
Seems to me that it would be easier to change DHCP reservations when needed
*once*, than to reset the static IP *every* time.
September 3, 2012 10:44:54 AM

It's simple to change the Ip-address..You can reset the modem or switch for a minute and the switch on it..Check the ip-address at Ip-Details.com if your ip address changed .It's Dynamic ip address ....You can change it many times by resetting the modem...Before changing check your previous ip ,so that you can know the difference.This is will not work if your ip address is a static ip address...Static ip will not change even if you reset the modem.If a user need to connect to your device from other ip,yes they need to know the ip-address of your's..
!