Sudden logon prompt

I'm getting this second hand from a relative who bought a used W2K
workstation from her employer a couple of weeks ago, so some of the things
she's telling me may be the result of confusion. But she says that until
today, whenever she turned on the computer, it booted straight into windows
and never prompted for an ID or password. But today, she got the "Press
ctl+alt+delete to logon" window, and it's asking for an administrator
password.

I work with Windows 2000 a lot, but I never knew there was a way to boot
directly into Windows without prompting for security. Is this possible? And
if so, what could have happened that caused the change in security all of a
sudden? If she doesn't know the password, then I assume the only solution is
to re-install the OS?

Thanks,

Tom
3 answers Last reply
More about sudden logon prompt

    w2k machines that are not part of a domain can use autologon to bypass the
    prompt. have her try just leaving the password blank, assuming the os was
    reinstalled or originally set up without a password this might work. a
    likely change is that she installed the .net framework from windows update,
    this adds an account for web services that has a side effect of turning off
    the autologon. if it won't take a blank password then try getting one of
    the free password reset downloads like the one at
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ and reset the administrator
    password. then you should be able to reenable the autologon.

    "Tommy" <Tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm getting this second hand from a relative who bought a used W2K
    > workstation from her employer a couple of weeks ago, so some of the things
    > she's telling me may be the result of confusion. But she says that until
    > today, whenever she turned on the computer, it booted straight into
    windows
    > and never prompted for an ID or password. But today, she got the "Press
    > ctl+alt+delete to logon" window, and it's asking for an administrator
    > password.
    >
    > I work with Windows 2000 a lot, but I never knew there was a way to boot
    > directly into Windows without prompting for security. Is this possible?
    And
    > if so, what could have happened that caused the change in security all of
    > sudden? If she doesn't know the password, then I assume the only solution
    is
    > to re-install the OS?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    Yes, you can boot on a local Windows 2000 without using Ctrl+Alt+Del, or
    without supplying username and password, it's called autologon or
    Automatic Logon. It is a security risk where anyone can have access to
    the workstation but many use it on their home machines, see here:

    How To Enable Automatic Logon in Windows 2000 Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=234562

    Try this password reset/hack tool if you can't logon.

    Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    John

    John John wrote:
    > Yes, you can boot on a local Windows 2000 without using Ctrl+Alt+Del,
    > or without supplying username and password, it's called autologon or
    > Automatic Logon. It is a security risk where anyone can have access
    > to the workstation but many use it on their home machines, see here:
    >
    > How To Enable Automatic Logon in Windows 2000 Professional
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=234562
    >
    > Try this password reset/hack tool if you can't logon.
    >
    > Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    >
    > John
    >

    > Tommy wrote:
    >> I'm getting this second hand from a relative who bought a used W2K
    >> workstation from her employer a couple of weeks ago, so some of the
    >> things she's telling me may be the result of confusion. But she
    >> says that until today, whenever she turned on the computer, it
    >> booted straight into windows and never prompted for an ID or
    >> password. But today, she got the "Press ctl+alt+delete to logon"
    >> window, and it's asking for an administrator password.
    >>
    >> I work with Windows 2000 a lot, but I never knew there was a way to
    >> boot directly into Windows without prompting for security. Is this
    >> possible? And if so, what could have happened that caused the
    >> change in security all of a sudden? If she doesn't know the
    >> password, then I assume the only solution is to re-install the OS?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Tom

    In addition to the other replies - if this is a used computer, DEFINITELY
    flatten & reinstall. Even if it's from a trusted source.

Security Windows