Event 529 and 681

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I have been getting a large amount of events 529 and 681 every three days or
so.
I get about 280 of these event in about a 5 minute span. Then nothing or 3
days or so and then again.

The server is ISA with N2H2 on it. The ISA is in Cache mode only it is only
used for web filtering and is behind the firewall. It also have Exchange
2000 SP3 on this server. It had been going fine for about a year and then
this started. The system functions fine I was just wondering about this.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Here are the events in case you need that.

Alert in Event log: Security
Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
Category: (2): Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529
User: S-1-5-18
Logon Failure:

Reason: Unknown user name or bad password

User Name: 33333333

Domain: Logon Type: 3

Logon Process: Advapi

Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

Workstation Name:(server name removed)

Alert in Event log: Security
Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
Category: (9): Account Logon Event ID: 681
User: S-1-5-18
The logon to account: 33333333

by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

from workstation: (server name removed)

failed. The error code was: 3221225572

----------------
Event ID 529
----------------

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=529&eventno=1&source=Security&phase=1

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;159792
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;159969
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;171148
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;172402
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174073
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174074
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238372
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239869
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272594
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287639
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290706
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299352
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305822
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312827
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326985
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328720
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811082
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824209
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;890477

----------------
Event ID 681
----------------

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=681&eventno=3&source=Security&phase=1

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273499
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287626
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297989
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321448
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326985
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824209
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837142

Austin M. Horst

Where are these shown as coming from ?
Are these for "dumb" account names that often do not exist?
or are they using the list of actual accounts ?
--
Roger
"Rick" <rick@di-wave.com> wrote in message
> I have been getting a large amount of events 529 and 681 every three days
or
> so.
> I get about 280 of these event in about a 5 minute span. Then nothing or 3
> days or so and then again.
>
> The server is ISA with N2H2 on it. The ISA is in Cache mode only it is
only
> used for web filtering and is behind the firewall. It also have Exchange
> 2000 SP3 on this server. It had been going fine for about a year and then
> this started. The system functions fine I was just wondering about this.
>
> Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rick
>
> Here are the events in case you need that.
>
> Alert in Event log: Security
> Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
> Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
> Category: (2): Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529
> User: S-1-5-18
> Logon Failure:
>
> Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
>
> User Name: 33333333
>
> Domain: Logon Type: 3
>
> Logon Process: Advapi
>
> Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
>
> Workstation Name:(server name removed)
>

> Alert in Event log: Security
> Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
> Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
> Category: (9): Account Logon Event ID: 681
> User: S-1-5-18
> The logon to account: 33333333
>
> by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
>
> from workstation: (server name removed)
>
> failed. The error code was: 3221225572

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

The accounts never exists in these groupings. I get about 280 with in 5
minutes.

> Where are these shown as coming from ?
> Are these for "dumb" account names that often do not exist?
> or are they using the list of actual accounts ?
> --
> Roger
> "Rick" <rick@di-wave.com> wrote in message
>> I have been getting a large amount of events 529 and 681 every three days
> or
>> so.
>> I get about 280 of these event in about a 5 minute span. Then nothing or
>> 3
>> days or so and then again.
>>
>> The server is ISA with N2H2 on it. The ISA is in Cache mode only it is
> only
>> used for web filtering and is behind the firewall. It also have Exchange
>> 2000 SP3 on this server. It had been going fine for about a year and then
>> this started. The system functions fine I was just wondering about this.
>>
>> Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> Here are the events in case you need that.
>>
>> Alert in Event log: Security
>> Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
>> Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
>> Category: (2): Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529
>> User: S-1-5-18
>> Logon Failure:
>>
>> Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
>>
>> User Name: 33333333
>>
>> Domain: Logon Type: 3
>>
>> Logon Process: Advapi
>>
>> Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
>>
>> Workstation Name:(server name removed)
>>

>> Alert in Event log: Security
>> Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
>> Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
>> Category: (9): Account Logon Event ID: 681
>> User: S-1-5-18
>> The logon to account: 33333333
>>
>> by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
>>
>> from workstation: (server name removed)
>>
>> failed. The error code was: 3221225572

The events name the machine from which the login attempts
originate. There are tools out there that will hammer on a
system for as long as they are programmed to do, trying to
find username / password combinations that work.
All you have to do is have some exposed authentication
door, like a restricted access website, file shares, etc..
If the machine named is an internal machine, then go to it
and look for infection/malware.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
> The accounts never exists in these groupings. I get about 280 with in 5
> minutes.
>
> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > Where are these shown as coming from ?
> > Are these for "dumb" account names that often do not exist?
> > or are they using the list of actual accounts ?
> > --
> > Roger
> > "Rick" <rick@di-wave.com> wrote in message
> >> I have been getting a large amount of events 529 and 681 every three
days
> > or
> >> so.
> >> I get about 280 of these event in about a 5 minute span. Then nothing
or
> >> 3
> >> days or so and then again.
> >>
> >> The server is ISA with N2H2 on it. The ISA is in Cache mode only it is
> > only
> >> used for web filtering and is behind the firewall. It also have
Exchange
> >> 2000 SP3 on this server. It had been going fine for about a year and
then
> >> this started. The system functions fine I was just wondering about
this.

> >> Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Rick
> >>
> >> Here are the events in case you need that.
> >>
> >> Alert in Event log: Security
> >> Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
> >> Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
> >> Category: (2): Logon/Logoff Event ID: 529
> >> User: S-1-5-18
> >> Logon Failure:
> >>
> >> Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
> >>
> >> User Name: 33333333
> >>
> >> Domain: Logon Type: 3
> >>
> >> Logon Process: Advapi
> >>
> >> Authentication Package: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
> >>
> >> Workstation Name:(server name removed)
> >>

> >> Alert in Event log: Security
> >> Type: Audit Failure Date: 3/9/2005
> >> Time: 04:45 PM Source: Security
> >> Category: (9): Account Logon Event ID: 681
> >> User: S-1-5-18
> >> The logon to account: 33333333
> >>
> >> by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
> >>
> >> from workstation: (server name removed)
> >>
> >> failed. The error code was: 3221225572

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

That may be helpful I will look into that.

Thanks!!

TRENDING THREADS