Sign in with
Your question

home build- not so easy afterall

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 19, 2007 7:38:56 PM

well, whoever said that building your comp was easy...lied! at least imo. i thought i had a modicum of computer intelligence (able to do basic troubleshooting and bios work, replace various cards), but i am feeling overwhelmed here in the build process, and i am finding the 680i printed manual insufficient in terms of explanation. i have mounted the mobo in the case, fitted the various drives and psu & cpu into the case/mobo, and plugged in the power cables from the psu to the mobo and the cpu. at this point i am stick and unsure of how to of how to correctly connect the serial ata cables. there are 2 diff't types of cable that came with this mobo that have 'serial sata' printed on them- one short thick one with a 4 prong powerend and one thinner longer one with identical ends. i am guessing that the thinner one is what i use to connect to the mobo? since both ends are the same, i don't know which one has the 'locking cable end'. i am also unsure, given that i have 2 harddrives- 150g western digital raptor for games and a 320g seagate for data, what the order if any, there should be- raptor SATA 1, or 2?

also, there is one aux power for graphics (pwr3) but my 880gtx card has two power cables that are attached to it. where does the other one plug into?

at this point i am starting to get a little worried that i am out of my depth here, and that there are just an almost infinite number of things i can do incorrectly. i have no idea for example if i need to plug or unplug anything to disable the onboard audio (i have a creative xfi card) or if that is all done in the bios upon bootup. etc. etc.

is there a much more helpful, noob friendly hardware installation guide i can consult online?

thanks.

More about : home build easy afterall

February 19, 2007 8:04:23 PM

The cable with two different ends is an adapter for the power in case your PSU doesn't have the SATA power connectors.

The cable you plug into the motherboard are small, flat, and probably red. Plug the Raptor into SATA1, the WD into SATA2. The locking mechanism is on the hardware not the cable, not all hardware has it.

Can't answer your 8800 question cause I don't own one.

You turn off the onboard audio in the BIOS.
February 19, 2007 8:15:05 PM

Quote:
at this point i am stick and unsure of how to of how to correctly connect the serial ata cables. there are 2 diff't types of cable that came with this mobo that have 'serial sata' printed on them- one short thick one with a 4 prong powerend and one thinner longer one with identical ends. i am guessing that the thinner one is what i use to connect to the mobo? since both ends are the same, i don't know which one has the 'locking cable end'.

A: The thinner one is a SATA data cable, (replacing the old IDE ribbon cable) and connects the motherboard to the SATA hard drive.

The short thick one with 4 prongs sounds like a standard Molex Power cable, which comes out of the PSU to a SATA drive(unless the drive has the newer type of long flat many pin Power connector, in which case you need a Molex to SATA Power converter cable).

i am also unsure, given that i have 2 harddrives- 150g western digital raptor for games and a 320g seagate for data, what the order if any, there should be- raptor SATA 1, or 2?

A: Any order you wish. Master/Slave does not apply to SATA drives, and if you are not doing a RAID group of drives, then they are just seen as separate drives by the PC.

also, there is one aux power for graphics (pwr3) but my 880gtx card has two power cables that are attached to it. where does the other one plug into?

A: I think a PCIe card has a 6pin connector from the PSU going into it, and can supply 1 or 2 outputs, at your choice, out of it to monitors etc. out of the back of the case.

i have no idea for example if i need to plug or unplug anything to disable the onboard audio (i have a creative xfi card) or if that is all done in the bios upon bootup. etc. etc.

A: enter BIOS on startup, go into Integrated features, and disable Onboard Sound AC97.

Hope these help. Good Luck, and don't panic. :D 

*****Sorry CutThroat, You must have posted while I was typing! :oops:  :oops:  :oops: 
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
February 19, 2007 8:15:19 PM

I don't know about the 680i motherboard, but in general cables are designed to fit only one way. The sata logic cables should be the same on both ends, and can be plugged either way. It does not matter which hard drive goes into which port. If there are two sets of sata ports on the motherboard, use the main set first because you may have to load drivers for the second set. The raptor has the option of using either sata power, or legacy(4prong) power, but NOT both. Modern PSU's will have both types, you could use either.
As to the 8800gtx, it needs two pci-e power connectors from the PSU(one for the 8800gtx). If you only have one, the PSU is likely not good enough.
!