How often do you guys top off water in system?

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hey everyone. Quick question, i have to top off my fluid in my water cooling kit about every once in a while (every 2 weeks or so). I mean, not much by any means, but if i don't the tubes get really sucked in and flat because the water in the reservoir is below the line.

I've checked a million times for leaks and stuff, and i don't see any, so where is the water going in a closed loop? i would think any water that's evaporated do to heat stays in the lines as condensation and then gets put right back in with the rest of the water.

Thanks.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It actually slowly evaporates out of the tubes. Some tubing is more porous than others, having a reservoir also adds a little surface area to evaporate and slowly purge out of the threads or diffuse through the reservoir itself.

I have a T-line setup with about 4 feet of tubing and it has only dropped the width of a Bic pen mark (~1/2mm) in the couple months that my woody has been up and running.

Friend of mine using T-line with different tubing has to top his off every month or so, only has to add a couple bottle caps full of water, but his for sure evaporates faster than mine.

brokenshoelaces

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
i had a cooler master aquagate in my last system, i had to top of the coolant once every 3 months or so, not very much evaporated at all though. it also depends on your ambient room temps, humidity level and case cooling on how often you should refill.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
The evaporation is minimal, it happens very very slowly, so you may want to top up every 6 months or so...

It depends largely on the tube you use, and how thick the tube's walls are etc etc.

icewolf69

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
If this is the case then i'm a little worried, i'm topping off every 3-4 days depending on how much my PC is on. The longer it's on, the more i top off.

I've checked a hundred times for leaks, and nearly every connector is even double clamped now ( metal worm driven as main, and a light reusable plastic clamp as second.) No resedu in case or on floor. I mean, it is running through 2 8800 GTX's which run pretty hot, but damn that's a lot of water going somewhere.

Tube size is 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD, very thin and soft hoses. Tygon to be exact.

this may not be normal, but if it's not leaking, it's ok then?

i'm lost.