windows pictures and fax viewer

Hi, I've got a problem with the Windows pictures and fax viewer on my
notebook with win xp professional sp2 (italian edition). It seems
unable to view any graphic files, such as bmp tif jpg etc. The program
window seems to open but suddenly it closes itself without error
messages. If I clic on the image with the right button and choose
"open with" and then "xp viewer", the viewer opens but in its window
there's only "no preview available", and that's all. I tried, from
"Run", regsvr32 /u shimgvl.dll and then regsvr32 shimgvl.dll, but
nothing happens. Even if I restart the system in safe mode, or if I
log on as administrator, the problem doesn't solve.

thanks,
Alessio
- - -
per scrivermi:
alex 65 mail-10 (senza spazi) presso yahoo punto it

Hi,

Hopefully you meant shimgvw.dll, not shimgvl.dll. If not, try those steps
with that file. Alternately, you might also try expanding a new copy of the
file, the existing one may be damaged.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"alessio sala" <indirizzo.nella@firma.it> wrote in message

> Hi, I've got a problem with the Windows pictures and fax viewer on my
> notebook with win xp professional sp2 (italian edition). It seems
> unable to view any graphic files, such as bmp tif jpg etc. The program
> window seems to open but suddenly it closes itself without error
> messages. If I clic on the image with the right button and choose
> "open with" and then "xp viewer", the viewer opens but in its window
> there's only "no preview available", and that's all. I tried, from
> "Run", regsvr32 /u shimgvl.dll and then regsvr32 shimgvl.dll, but
> nothing happens. Even if I restart the system in safe mode, or if I
> log on as administrator, the problem doesn't solve.
>
> thanks,
> Alessio
> - - -
> per scrivermi:
> alex 65 mail-10 (senza spazi) presso yahoo punto it

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:35:01 -0500, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hopefully you meant shimgvw.dll, not shimgvl.dll. If not, try those steps
>with that file. Alternately, you might also try expanding a new copy of the
>file, the existing one may be damaged.

You're right, I meant shimgvw.dll. I tried to substitute the file with
a backup copy of it, but the problem still remains. It's very strange,
I'm able to open jpg tiff bmp etc. with different programs, such as
irfan view or paint or thumbs plus: only the xp viewer doesn't work, I
always get the message "no preview available". I'm sorry, I asked also
in the italian newsgroups, but without solution. I didn't find any
help in the microsoft kb or in the google groups area...

Have you any other idea about it?

thanks, alessio.

(I'm NOT using AOL or Compuserve.)

Hi Alessio,

That's the common fix, however you have damaged registry entries. The
restore file on line 80 here (on the left) should repair this:
courtesy MVP Kelly.