Sign in with
Your question

Bad gigabyte mobo?help

Last response: in Motherboards
February 19, 2007 10:36:14 PM

Hello all,first off i want to say that i have built a few systems before,last one was about 2 years ago.

Ok,that out of the way,heres the problem.

I built my friend a new system, GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965,E4300, Patriot Signature Series 2gb 667,WD 160 gb sata hd and a nivida 7950 gt.

Everthing went together fine,booted up just fine,read all 2 gb of mem,went into bios,set sata to Sata IDE since i was only usinging 1 sata drive,saved an exited.

Inserted my xp pro install disk,formated HD,it installed the system files,but when it went to install the OS i got a blue screen informing that "Windows has encountered a problem and is shutting down to prevent any damage,remove any new HD's,HD controllers you might have installed and run chkdsk"

I figured that maybe i had set the wrong option for the sata controller in bios,so i went in and set it to ACHI,i made my sata driver floppy,started fresh install.

I pressed F6 to install sata driver,was informed that windows had a sata driver that i could use,so i didnt install the sriver,NADA same blue error screen.

So i started over pressed f6 tried installing the sata driver,but got an error saying /Jraid.sys could not be open,error 512.

I figured the floppy was was bad,tried another,same problem.error 512.

By now im pulling my hair out,i call Gigabyte,tell me to update bios,i do,same problem.

I tried ever sata port on the board,no go on all of them.

I RMAed the board back newegg,went with a different one.

But as i sat here after sending the board back i'm wondering,was it the board,or the ram?i didnt think to test the ram with Memtest and my board i have atm only supports ddr2.

Can bad ram cuase the problems i was having?

I know the HD is not bad becuase i installed in my other computer and it was detected and was able to install xp just fine on it.

It is my understanding that if you choose Sata IDE in bios that there is no need for a 3rd party sata controller.

Did i send a perfectly good board back?

thank you for reading a windy post :lol: 

More about : bad gigabyte mobo

February 20, 2007 6:47:46 AM

Quote:
Hello all,first off i want to say that i have built a few systems before,last one was about 2 years ago.

Ok,that out of the way,heres the problem.

I built my friend a new system, GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965,E4300, Patriot Signature Series 2gb 667,WD 160 gb sata hd and a nivida 7950 gt.

Everthing went together fine,booted up just fine,read all 2 gb of mem,went into bios,set sata to Sata IDE since i was only usinging 1 sata drive,saved an exited.

Inserted my xp pro install disk,formated HD,it installed the system files,but when it went to install the OS i got a blue screen informing that "Windows has encountered a problem and is shutting down to prevent any damage,remove any new HD's,HD controllers you might have installed and run chkdsk" Check that the third party IDE controller is set up correctly - the 965 does not support IDE anymore, and hence mobo manufacturers include a Jmicron or similar third party SATA/IDE controller - ensure this option (normally under on chip options in bios) is set to IDE

I figured that maybe i had set the wrong option for the sata controller in bios,so i went in and set it to ACHI,i made my sata driver floppy,started fresh install. Windows XP does not have AHCI drivers on the cd, and to use this option you need to press F6 and install the intel AHCI drivers during Windows install (phase1) - and using AHCI let's SATA drives run in "true" SATA mode, although performance etc is debatable

Remember, that during installation of windows files, generic drivers are used and mainly run from BIOS. During the second installation phase after first reboot, all I/O calls are passed from BIOS to OS, and now Windows realize that IDE might be configured as SATA (CD/DVD) instead of IDE on the jmicron chip, or SATA (HDD) might be configured in enhanced, compatible mode or AHCI with in-apt drivers installed which is required during F6 phase.

The BSOD also is quite accurate, so in most cases a clash in the I/O handling will point to the guilty party - in your case a HDD which let's me think along the lines above.
!