certificate authority

hey all,

i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within an
enterprise?

thanks,
rodchar
3 answers Last reply
More about certificate authority

    You need Verisign if you want your servers to be externally trusted on a
    broad basis. If you are using internal only, you can configure the internal
    trust yourself.

    Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx

    --
    David B. Cross [MS]

    Top Whitepapers:

    Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/autoenro.mspx

    Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx

    Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto/tshtcrl.mspx

    Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/webenroll.mspx
    "rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hey all,
    >
    > i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
    > provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within
    > an
    > enterprise?
    >
    > thanks,
    > rodchar

    thank you.

    "David Cross [MS]" wrote:

    > You need Verisign if you want your servers to be externally trusted on a
    > broad basis. If you are using internal only, you can configure the internal
    > trust yourself.
    >
    > Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
    >

    > --
    > David B. Cross [MS]
    >

    > Top Whitepapers:
    >
    > Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/autoenro.mspx
    >
    > Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
    >
    > Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto/tshtcrl.mspx
    >
    > Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/webenroll.mspx
    > "rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hey all,
    > >
    > > i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
    > > provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within
    > > an
    > > enterprise?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > rodchar

    So basically VeriSign sets up there servers the way we would setup our own
    CA? Is that correct?

    "David Cross [MS]" wrote:

    > You need Verisign if you want your servers to be externally trusted on a
    > broad basis. If you are using internal only, you can configure the internal
    > trust yourself.
    >
    > Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
    >

    > --
    > David B. Cross [MS]
    >

    > Top Whitepapers:
    >
    > Auto-enrollment whitepaper:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/autoenro.mspx
    >
    > Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/ws3pkibp.mspx
    >
    > Troubleshooting Certificate Status and Revocation whitepaper:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/crypto/tshtcrl.mspx
    >
    > Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/webenroll.mspx
    > "rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hey all,
    > >
    > > i was wondering what the difference was between getting Verisign as an ssl
    > > provider and setting up certificate services on a win 2000 server within
    > > an
    > > enterprise?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > rodchar