SD card wirte protected "ignore-my-docs"

May 19, 2005 11:33:54 AM

Help

I have two SD cards which are empty except for a folder called
"ignore-my-docs" I have tried to delete this folder but am told that the
disc is write protected. The lock is set into the correct position and the
discs are otherwise empty. What can I do next?

History - I used a Resco file explore on my original IPAQ 1710 and am now
trying to use these cards in my IPAQ 5550 (without Resco). not sure whether
there's a clue in all of that.

Thanks for your time
Sue
May 19, 2005 11:43:36 AM

After further hunting through Google I have now discovered that I can create
a My Documents file BUT I still cannot manage to get rid of the
ignore-my-docs one. It still states that it is write protected.

"Sue" <ijsepalmer@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Help
>
> I have two SD cards which are empty except for a folder called
> "ignore-my-docs" I have tried to delete this folder but am told that the
> disc is write protected. The lock is set into the correct position and
> the discs are otherwise empty. What can I do next?
>
> History - I used a Resco file explore on my original IPAQ 1710 and am now
> trying to use these cards in my IPAQ 5550 (without Resco). not sure
> whether there's a clue in all of that.
>
> Thanks for your time
> Sue

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:34:39 PM

> After further hunting through Google I have now discovered that I can
> create a My Documents file BUT I still cannot manage to get rid of the
> ignore-my-docs one. It still states that it is write protected.
>

> "Sue" <ijsepalmer@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> Help
>>
>> I have two SD cards which are empty except for a folder called
>> "ignore-my-docs" I have tried to delete this folder but am told that
>> the disc is write protected. The lock is set into the correct position
>> and the discs are otherwise empty. What can I do next?
>>
>> History - I used a Resco file explore on my original IPAQ 1710 and am now
>> trying to use these cards in my IPAQ 5550 (without Resco). not sure
>> whether there's a clue in all of that.
>>
>> Thanks for your time
>> Sue

Do you have a PC-based SD card reader that you can use, and try and delete
the file in Windows?
May 19, 2005 3:34:40 PM

Try creating the "My Douments" folder (on the card root, typed exactly
as above) then soft resetting your device.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
May 20, 2005 2:57:37 AM

> Do you have a PC-based SD card reader that you can use, and try and delete
> the file in Windows?

I have a PC-based SD card readed but am unable to delete it with that.
May 20, 2005 3:27:11 AM

New problem - my 256 Sandisk wifi card has Resco files on the memory which I
am unable to delete. Again the card says write protected but it isn't. I
can only view it using my PC card reader my new IPAQ 5550 doesn't even
acknowledge the card is in its slot.

Not sure where I am going wrong except that I didnt create a My Documents in
the first place.

When I do get this all sorted out - does the My Documents need to have " "
around it.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 4:44:07 AM

> New problem - my 256 Sandisk wifi card has Resco files on the memory which
> I am unable to delete. Again the card says write protected but it isn't.
> I can only view it using my PC card reader my new IPAQ 5550 doesn't even
> acknowledge the card is in its slot.
>
> Not sure where I am going wrong except that I didnt create a My Documents
> in the first place.
>
> When I do get this all sorted out - does the My Documents need to have " "
> around it.

If you try this be careful, and it's at your own risk. I've seen reports of
similar SD card problems with other devices that have been sorted by
slightly increasing the thickness of the card itself- just a layer of
sellotape on the reverse of the card. I'm not sure if it is relevant or will
help here but it may be worth trying. I chose a machine that takes CF cards
as they were cheaper and available in larger sizes. My digital camera uses
SD and it was in an area related to cameras where I saw that, although I
havent had the problem.

The My Documents have no "" around the name on the storage card in my
machine.

Good luck.
!