Wireless networking issues

I have just installed windows xp.

I am using a Netcom wireless access point and a netcom 5420 PCI wireless
card.

The access point requires ecnryption to connect. Setting up the network
card with the correct key results in the card not being able to connect to
the access point. The computer can see the access point in the network
properties box however.

Any suggestion how to connect? I am going to reboot to win98, remove the
enryption from my access point and try again once i reboot win xp.

Cheers
Paul

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:55:31 +1100, The P wrote:

> I have just installed windows xp.
>
> I am using a Netcom wireless access point and a netcom 5420 PCI wireless
> card.
>
> The access point requires ecnryption to connect. Setting up the network
> card with the correct key results in the card not being able to connect to
> the access point. The computer can see the access point in the network
> properties box however.
>
> Any suggestion how to connect? I am going to reboot to win98, remove the
> enryption from my access point and try again once i reboot win xp.
>
> Cheers
> Paul

When you get the icon showing that the system is picking up the access
point, right click on it and view its properties. Plug your encryption key
into that screen and give it a try. Should see a box to check for adhoc
network (check or leave blank according to your setup). And should see a
list to add the detection to preferred networks. Check that the access
point and card are on the same channel. Uncheck box for "authentication."
Can't think of anything else at the moment.

These settings are all in the Windows Wireless Zero configuration screens.
If you're using Netcom's software to set this up, then I have no
suggestions as I've never used their hardware.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User