efs - encrypting sql folders

Hi all,

we have an application that writes to a sql 2000 db. This data is very
sensitive and by law we would like to have it encrypted. We looked at
the sql data encryption software available on the market but none of
them seems to be adequate for us in terms of integration and, above
all, of license costs.

So we thought to use the os integrated encryption system EFS.
I have the following black holes:

- how flexible is EFS ? How do we add and remove users ?
- we have a pki infrastructure (for smartcard authentication). Do we
gain any benefits in a EFS scenario ?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.
Bar

Implementing Encrypting File System (EFS) with SQL Server
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/implementing_efs.asp

How Using the Windows 2000 Encrypted File System
to Secure SQL Server Databases and Backups
Affects SQL Server's Performance
http://www.sql-server-performance.com/ck_database_encryption.asp