lsass increase cpu time

Glenn

Hi,

over time I experience that lsass.exe is taking more and more cpu time from
the computer. It has something to do with an application (a service written
by me) that opens a database. The more often the database is opened, the
faster the lsass.exe increases it's cpu usage. If I restart the service, the
cpu usage in lsass.exe goes back to normal.

To start with, lsass.exe consumes about 2 seconds of cpu per hour. After a
week, it consumes 10 seconds per hour. It increases quite evenly during the
week, by approximately one second per day. When restarting the application,
lsass.exe goes back to 2 seconds per hour again.

If I change the application to close and open the database a lot more, about
once per second instead of once per minute, the increase in lsass.exe cpu
usage is much higher. After a few days it consumes 10 minutes per hour, and
then my service needs to be restarted. The routine that open and close the
database connection is very simple, and their are no signs of bugs (memory
leaks or other) in my service.

Is there a known issue with leaks in lsass.exe? I'm running Win2000 with the
latest service packs, using ODBC to connect to an SQL Server 2000 database,
also with the latest service packs. Their is no other computer in the
network accessing the database. The computer has 2 cpu:s and lots of memory,
and the database is quite small.

regards,
Glenn

Well, the problem is not with the lsa but with you service application.
You likely should review to see whether you have followed all of
the requirements for a well behaved service. The MSDN website
and formus would be a good resource for this.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)