Administrators v Administrator security differences

I have this issuing going on where I can access a piece of software
when I'm logged in as "Administrator" but I can not access it when I'm
logged in as "user10" who is part of the Administrators group.

Everything I look at says the "user10" should have the same access level
as the "Administrator" account.

What are the differences from the "Administrator" account and being part of
the "Administrators" group.

HELP
5 answers Last reply
More about administrators administrator security differences

    I've tracked this down further...

    It appeas like the call to CreateThread() is not creating a new thread and
    not returning to the application if i'm logged in as "User10". If I login as
    "Administrator" everything works great!

    The "User10" is part of the Administrators group.

    Any IDEAS??

    "Glenn Kreisel" <Glenn Kreisel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have this issuing going on where I can access a piece of software
    > when I'm logged in as "Administrator" but I can not access it when I'm
    > logged in as "user10" who is part of the Administrators group.
    >
    > Everything I look at says the "user10" should have the same access level
    > as the "Administrator" account.
    >
    > What are the differences from the "Administrator" account and being part
    of
    > the "Administrators" group.
    >
    > HELP

    The Administrator can be the owner of a file or registry section and exclude
    other Administrators from accessing it... however, any other member of the
    Administrators group could then take ownership of the file and change the
    permissions. But just being a member of the group doesn't give you access
    to everything. In fact, even a user who is the owner of a file could set it
    so that Administrators can't access it without taking ownership and changing
    the permissions.

    Ok I tracked down the problem even further....

    The software is failing on a CreateThread() API call when logged in as
    "User10"
    but not as "Administrator". The "User10" is part of "Administrators" group.
    The CreateThread() never starts the new thread and never returns.

    On our dev server all users work. It is just our production server that this
    happens on. Win2k SP 3

    Any IDEA??? Been driving us nuts..

    "Dave" wrote:

    > "Glenn Kreisel" <Glenn Kreisel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have this issuing going on where I can access a piece of software
    > > when I'm logged in as "Administrator" but I can not access it when I'm
    > > logged in as "user10" who is part of the Administrators group.
    > >
    > > Everything I look at says the "user10" should have the same access level
    > > as the "Administrator" account.
    > >
    > > What are the differences from the "Administrator" account and being part
    > of
    > > the "Administrators" group.
    > >
    > > HELP
    > >

    > The Administrator can be the owner of a file or registry section and exclude
    > other Administrators from accessing it... however, any other member of the
    > Administrators group could then take ownership of the file and change the
    > permissions. But just being a member of the group doesn't give you access
    > to everything. In fact, even a user who is the owner of a file could set it
    > so that Administrators can't access it without taking ownership and changing
    > the permissions.

    "Glenn Kreisel" <Glenn Kreisel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have this issuing going on where I can access a piece of software
    > when I'm logged in as "Administrator" but I can not access it when I'm
    > logged in as "user10" who is part of the Administrators group.
    >
    > Everything I look at says the "user10" should have the same access level
    > as the "Administrator" account.
    >
    > What are the differences from the "Administrator" account and being part
    of
    > the "Administrators" group.
    >
    > HELP

    hmm, now that is stranger. i would still check all the files associated
    with the software and make sure they allow access to 'everyone', don't have
    any deny's that might exclude other users, things like that... probably a
    bit of a longshot but something worth looking at. also check any registry
    entries for the software, if it was installed by 'Administrator' and not set
    up specifically for all users to have access there may be some settings
    stored in the 'Administrator' profile that wouldn't be accessible by other
    users.

    one way to test for account dependencies like that is to reinstall the
    software as user10 and see if it works then. if it does then there is
    something that is not getting setup the way you probably want.

    you might also want to ask in a group for the specific language you are
    using to see if there are any gotchas in the createthread call that is
    failing.

    The administrator is a member of the administrators group but the
    administrator account may have different permissions and rights than the
    administrators group. What may help is to enable auditing of object access
    on that computer and audit the file/files/folder that the user is having
    trouble accessing. I would also enable auditing of privilege use for success
    and failure until the problem is resolved. Look in the security log of Event
    Viewer for pertinent events. Also keep in mind that if the user is a member
    of another group with deny permissions/user rights then that can cause
    failed access. Filemon and regmon from SysInternals may also help you. The
    links below should help more. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q248260
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301640
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

    "Glenn Kreisel" <Glenn Kreisel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have this issuing going on where I can access a piece of software
    > when I'm logged in as "Administrator" but I can not access it when I'm
    > logged in as "user10" who is part of the Administrators group.
    >
    > Everything I look at says the "user10" should have the same access level
    > as the "Administrator" account.
    >
    > What are the differences from the "Administrator" account and being part
    > of
    > the "Administrators" group.
    >
    > HELP

Security Microsoft Windows