script to list users and groups in domain admin and local ..

I am looking for a script or guidance to write a script that will list all
the users and groups that belong to the domain admin group and the local
admin group on each server in the domain. This way, I will not have to check
each server individually when doing periodic security scans.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate. Thanks.

N.P.

Take a look at the ScriptCenter
www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter
These are not full, off-the-shelf scripts, but you should find code
that can do what you are after with very little adjustment.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"crosswired" <crosswired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a script or guidance to write a script that will list all
> the users and groups that belong to the domain admin group and the local
> admin group on each server in the domain. This way, I will not have to
check
> each server individually when doing periodic security scans.
>
> If anyone can help, I would appreciate. Thanks.
>
> N.P.

You can use a basic batch file coupled with a text file conataining your
server names for this:

ECHO OFF

::Enumerate the Domain Admin group members
net group "domain admins" /domain

::Call from file each server I would like to Enumerate the local
administrators group
for /f %%i in (Computers.txt) do call PUTYOURCOMMAND HERE \\%%i
>>FILENAMEHERE.txt
END

Where you see the \\%%i is where the computer names will be filled in
automatically from your text file which contains them. There are plenty of
tools capable of enumerating remote admin groups.

"crosswired" <crosswired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for a script or guidance to write a script that will list all
> the users and groups that belong to the domain admin group and the local
> admin group on each server in the domain. This way, I will not have to
> check
> each server individually when doing periodic security scans.
>
> If anyone can help, I would appreciate. Thanks.
>
> N.P.

Domain admins membership can be determined easily enough in Active Directory
users and Computers and as other posts have mentioned you can use scripts
using the net command and such to enumerate local administrators. FYI MBSA
can scan network computers and among other things be able to list the local
administrators on each computer. Group Policy computer configuration
Restricted Groups can be used to enforce membership in any domain or local
group if you want to consider such. If you want to use Restricted Groups to
restrict local computer administrators group be sure to do it at the OU
level only. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspxb --- MBSA

"crosswired" <crosswired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for a script or guidance to write a script that will list all
> the users and groups that belong to the domain admin group and the local
> admin group on each server in the domain. This way, I will not have to
> check
> each server individually when doing periodic security scans.
>
> If anyone can help, I would appreciate. Thanks.
>
> N.P.

I can use this code from EzAD Scriptomatic but it will only give me one user
at a time and only that user I ask for. Is there a variable that will scan
the entire DC for all users? Thanks!

strContainer = ""
strName = "EzAdUser"

On Error Resume Next

'***********************************************
'* Connect to an object *
'***********************************************
Set objRootDSE = GetObject("LDAP://rootDSE")
If strContainer = "" Then
Set objItem = GetObject("LDAP://" & _
objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext"))
Else
Set objItem = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" & strName & "," & strContainer & ","
& _
objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext"))
End If
'***********************************************
'* End connect to an object *
'***********************************************

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> Domain admins membership can be determined easily enough in Active Directory
> users and Computers and as other posts have mentioned you can use scripts
> using the net command and such to enumerate local administrators. FYI MBSA
> can scan network computers and among other things be able to list the local
> administrators on each computer. Group Policy computer configuration
> Restricted Groups can be used to enforce membership in any domain or local
> group if you want to consider such. If you want to use Restricted Groups to
> restrict local computer administrators group be sure to do it at the OU
> level only. --- Steve
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspxb --- MBSA
>
> "crosswired" <crosswired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am looking for a script or guidance to write a script that will list all
> > the users and groups that belong to the domain admin group and the local
> > admin group on each server in the domain. This way, I will not have to
> > check
> > each server individually when doing periodic security scans.
> >
> > If anyone can help, I would appreciate. Thanks.
> >
> > N.P.

You may want to post to the microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting
newsgroup, including more detail as from what you have posted it is
hard to see just what you are doing and particularly how you are
handling what is returned to you.

--
Roger
"Manlytrash" <ccaldwell@dblair.com> wrote in message
> I can use this code from EzAD Scriptomatic but it will only give me one
user
> at a time and only that user I ask for. Is there a variable that will scan
> the entire DC for all users? Thanks!
>

> strContainer = ""
> strName = "EzAdUser"
>
> On Error Resume Next
>
> '***********************************************
> '* Connect to an object *
> '***********************************************
> Set objRootDSE = GetObject("LDAP://rootDSE")
> If strContainer = "" Then
> Set objItem = GetObject("LDAP://" & _
> objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext"))
> Else
> Set objItem = GetObject("LDAP://cn=" & strName & "," & strContainer &
","
> & _
> objRootDSE.Get("defaultNamingContext"))
> End If
> '***********************************************
> '* End connect to an object *
> '***********************************************
>

> "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
>
> > Domain admins membership can be determined easily enough in Active
Directory
> > users and Computers and as other posts have mentioned you can use
scripts
> > using the net command and such to enumerate local administrators. FYI
MBSA
> > can scan network computers and among other things be able to list the
local
> > administrators on each computer. Group Policy computer configuration
> > Restricted Groups can be used to enforce membership in any domain or
local
> > group if you want to consider such. If you want to use Restricted Groups
> > restrict local computer administrators group be sure to do it at the OU
> > level only. --- Steve
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspxb --- MBSA
> >
> > "crosswired" <crosswired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I am looking for a script or guidance to write a script that will list
all
> > > the users and groups that belong to the domain admin group and the
local
> > > admin group on each server in the domain. This way, I will not have
> > > check
> > > each server individually when doing periodic security scans.
> > >
> > > If anyone can help, I would appreciate. Thanks.
> > >
> > > N.P.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and advice. Much appreciated.