Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Can not install drivers for Toshiba Wireless NIC

Last response: in Components
Share
February 20, 2007 1:19:41 AM

I'm fixing a computer for my mom's boss. The keyboard was broken and the wireless NIC wasn't properly working. The keyboard was successfully replaced, but the old card could not have the drivers reinstalled.

I uninstalled the old card by removing it, powering up, powering down, popping the card back in. The card is now recognized, but has no drivers installed. The drivers always fail to install, whether they're the oldest drivers from the manufacturer's CD itself or the newest drivers from the internet.

I suggested maybe the card was damaged (Some wine was spilled on the computer, didn't I mention that? *cough*) like the keyboard and suggested replacing it. Now I have a new network card, slightly different n product number, but assured it was compatible by the seller. I still have the same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card but it still just appears as a "Network Controller" in the device manager. Anyone know of the causes to this particular problem, and any solutions?

I am thinking about completely re-imaging with the recovery disk from Toshiba (after removing all data that needs to be saved, of course).

Thanks in advance,
Draylorre



Model: Toshiba Satellite M35-S359
Network Card: Intel PRO Wireless 2100 LAN 3b mini PCI

Any other information on the computer itself or the problems, feel free to ask.
February 24, 2007 6:54:20 PM

Quote:
I'm fixing a computer for my mom's boss. The keyboard was broken and the wireless NIC wasn't properly working. The keyboard was successfully replaced, but the old card could not have the drivers reinstalled.

I uninstalled the old card by removing it, powering up, powering down, popping the card back in. The card is now recognized, but has no drivers installed. The drivers always fail to install, whether they're the oldest drivers from the manufacturer's CD itself or the newest drivers from the internet.

I suggested maybe the card was damaged (Some wine was spilled on the computer, didn't I mention that? *cough*) like the keyboard and suggested replacing it. Now I have a new network card, slightly different n product number, but assured it was compatible by the seller. I still have the same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the card but it still just appears as a "Network Controller" in the device manager. Anyone know of the causes to this particular problem, and any solutions?

I am thinking about completely re-imaging with the recovery disk from Toshiba (after removing all data that needs to be saved, of course).

Thanks in advance,
Draylorre



Model: Toshiba Satellite M35-S359
Network Card: Intel PRO Wireless 2100 LAN 3b mini PCI

Any other information on the computer itself or the problems, feel free to ask.


Finicky, finicky...Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? (Repeatedly press 'F8' during boot up) Then try installing the drivers.

~Ibrahim~
February 25, 2007 9:43:51 PM

Yes, I have tried booting into safe mode. I also tried the system restore to a previous date before the problems started happening as well and nothing still.
Related resources
February 25, 2007 10:57:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have tried booting into safe mode. I also tried the system restore to a previous date before the problems started happening as well and nothing still.


Does it show up in Network Connections? If so, disable and enable it. Anything?

~Ibrahim~
February 25, 2007 11:00:17 PM

Quote:
Different PCI slot?


Laptop.

~Ibrahim~
February 26, 2007 8:10:08 PM

Only thing in network connections was the Ethernet, the wireless is seen as Network Connection in device manager, but that's it.

As said before, it recognizes that hardware is there, and the drivers it needs to install, but they won't install.

I don't have the computer in front of me now, mom's boss is getting what he needs off the laptop (family pictures and the likes) and I'm going to completely restore it to what the manufacturer shipped out. If that doesn't work, than I'm utterly stumped.
February 26, 2007 10:03:19 PM

Quote:
Only thing in network connections was the Ethernet, the wireless is seen as Network Connection in device manager, but that's it.

As said before, it recognizes that hardware is there, and the drivers it needs to install, but they won't install.

I don't have the computer in front of me now, mom's boss is getting what he needs off the laptop (family pictures and the likes) and I'm going to completely restore it to what the manufacturer shipped out. If that doesn't work, than I'm utterly stumped.


OK...Could you expand a bit more that the drivers "fail to install"? Does InstallShield not come up? Or does it install, but it still shows up as that Network thing?

Do this. Go to the Network thing in Device Manager. Right-Click and go to Properties. Then go over to the Driver tab and press Update Driver. Then, when it asks what the wizard wants to do on step 2, press "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". Then tell it to include the CD as a place to search..

~Ibrahim~
February 26, 2007 10:15:46 PM

Yes yes, I did all that. I did automatically, manually, and every possible combination from CD to manually downloaded drivers from the internet.

It goes through the entire process, tries to install but nothing on the progress bar for a minute or two and then just says "The specified drivers failed to install because of a canceled request or an internal error" Or something like that. As I said, I don't have it in front of me.

But yes, I did all the basic things to install drivers and troubleshoot. I am A+ certified, y'know! :D 
February 26, 2007 10:35:43 PM

Quote:
Yes yes, I did all that. I did automatically, manually, and every possible combination from CD to manually downloaded drivers from the internet.

It goes through the entire process, tries to install but nothing on the progress bar for a minute or two and then just says "The specified drivers failed to install because of a canceled request or an internal error" Or something like that. As I said, I don't have it in front of me.

But yes, I did all the basic things to install drivers and troubleshoot. I am A+ certified, y'know! :D 


lol, I don't doubt you, just want to make sure.

That is one damn stubborn driver. Could it possibly be an IRQ conflict? Does that BIOS let you check that kind of thing? Does the BIOS have anything on the card? But the BIOS doesn't seem like the culprit, it is too much of a 'software' look to it.

I'm guessing some conflict, with something. Have you tried disabling the Ethernet and then trying to install?

~Ibrahim~
February 26, 2007 11:03:31 PM

That was my thought, a software conflict. The BIOS doesn't seem like the culprit, as you said, because the card is recognized and working fine. No exclamation marks, no 'X's. It's all in the install.

I worked at my high school in the IT department as an internship. My tech director had a little saying.

"If it can't be fixed in 15 minutes, just dump the essentials on the network and re-image it."
February 26, 2007 11:10:02 PM

Curses...

lol, nice saying...Hopefully the restore might clear it up?

~Ibrahim~
February 26, 2007 11:16:58 PM

One can only hope.

Thank you much for the feedback, and even more for the attempted help.

If anyone else has any epiphanies as to what is causing this problem, do drop me a reply, I'll be watching this forum through e-mail occasionally.

Many thanks, yet again,
Draylorre
February 26, 2007 11:22:28 PM

Quote:
One can only hope.

Thank you much for the feedback, and even more for the attempted help.

If anyone else has any epiphanies as to what is causing this problem, do drop me a reply, I'll be watching this forum through e-mail occasionally.

Many thanks, yet again,
Draylorre


I tried...Good luck and I'll watch this topic, too, just in case.

~Ibrahim~
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2011 12:35:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!