Security policies are propagated with warning

The following error is showing up in my event viewer:
-------------
Security policies are propagated with warning. 0x4b8 : An extended error has
occurred.

For best results in resolving this event, log on with a non-administrative
account and search http://support.microsoft.com for "Troubleshooting Event
1202s".
-------------

This does not happen every five minutes, like the associated KB articles
state. Instead, they are showing up about every three hours or so. I am
also not using any XP computers in my environment, so the XP related
solutions really shouldn't seem to apply.

I attempted another suggested fix (on a test server), which was to analyize
and rebuild the security database. This caused a large number of errors on
the next reboot, hanging the server, and eventually forced me to rebuild the
server... thus, I'm not going to attempt that on a production server.

Other than the warnings, there does not appear to be anything adverse
happing as a result of these errors. As a result, I'm uncertain if this
should be a concern, or if attempting to fix it may result in more problems
(which is what resulted on my test server).

Suggestions / insight would be appreciated... thanks -
2 answers Last reply
More about security policies propagated warning

    Going to http://www.Eventid.net and entering the source and Event ID number
    often will be very helpful. Make sure that your dns is absolutely correct
    for the domain for both domain controllers and domain computers per the
    first link below. Also on domain controllers first run the netdiag and then
    the dcdiag support tools. The will run a batty of tests and failed
    tests/warnings/errors can help you pinpoint the problem. Gpotool and replmon
    can also be very helpful. If any of your domain controllers are multihomed
    or also a Remote Access server, that can often cause problems. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B291382 --- AD
    dns FAQ
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708 --- netdiag
    and how to install support tools.

    "GVB" <nospam@notever.no.no> wrote in message
    > The following error is showing up in my event viewer:
    > -------------
    > Security policies are propagated with warning. 0x4b8 : An extended error
    > has
    > occurred.
    >
    > For best results in resolving this event, log on with a non-administrative
    > account and search http://support.microsoft.com for "Troubleshooting Event
    > 1202s".
    > -------------
    >
    > This does not happen every five minutes, like the associated KB articles
    > state. Instead, they are showing up about every three hours or so. I am
    > also not using any XP computers in my environment, so the XP related
    > solutions really shouldn't seem to apply.
    >
    > I attempted another suggested fix (on a test server), which was to
    > analyize
    > and rebuild the security database. This caused a large number of errors
    > on
    > the next reboot, hanging the server, and eventually forced me to rebuild
    > the
    > server... thus, I'm not going to attempt that on a production server.
    >
    > Other than the warnings, there does not appear to be anything adverse
    > happing as a result of these errors. As a result, I'm uncertain if this
    > should be a concern, or if attempting to fix it may result in more
    > problems
    > (which is what resulted on my test server).
    >
    > Suggestions / insight would be appreciated... thanks -

    Thanks, that's the most helpful information I've found to date.

    I did manage to fix it... the solution: I moved all of these files to a
    different folder:

    %SystemRoot%\Security\Edb.*
    %SystemRoot%\Security\Res*.*

    Works perfect now.