Playing movies on tv through PC

branflakes

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question. I've been trying to figure out where to put this for way too long.

I'm trying to play some movies off my pc (avi and mpeg files) on my tv. I have a radeon x800 (which has an S-video out) and on a winXP box. I know that isn't a traditional TV/Video card, but I thought it might still work. I am using the wire that came with it to connect the s-video out to the yellow A/V plug of my tv. I used the ATI Catalyst control center to get the video on the screen, which worked. I can see my desktop, icons, etc on my tv, but when I start a video, all I get is a black box right where the video should be playing, no matter what video player I use, windows media player or real player.

Does anyone know if there is a setting I need to change, codec I need to DL, or piece of hardware I need to sacrifice to get it working? Thanks.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Well, my Radeon 9250 SE and 9550 can play movies,and it's viewable. I'm not sure what's wrong with your setup, but what I did was, I open the apps, which showed on normal monitor, then drag it to the right (may be left also ok,but I don't know) as if I'm throwing it away. It appears on my TV

As for codecs, you might want to try K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, one of the best available, for free

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong or you guys have better and simpler fix

NotSoSober

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Let me guess, you have a cloned display and the TV is the secondary display? There is an option in the catalyst drivers that allows to set overlay to full screen on the TV (dont remember what the option was called exactly). This will make movies play full screen on the TV and windowed on the PC, in my opinion this is the best way.

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Let me guess, you have a cloned display and the TV is the secondary display? There is an option in the catalyst drivers that allows to set overlay to full screen on the TV (dont remember what the option was called exactly). This will make movies play full screen on the TV and windowed on the PC, in my opinion this is the best way.

Branflakes, this option is the correct fix... it works beautifully...

And for anyone else that inquires, there's a similar function in the nVidia Control Panel to do the same thing...

I believe there is also an option to switch it back to the "classic" control panle. Off hand, I forget how to do it, but I did it after loading up the drivers and panel because I hated the web browser version. I bet a quick search on the nVidia site or forums will help out.