Alienware Laptop

Skull_Angel

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I just saw an ad in Maximum PC for an Alienware laptop with a 1.7 mobile Pentium 4 and an ATI 7500 mobility RADEON with 64 Megs of memory. Unfortunately due to supply issues, I guess, you can only configure it with a desktop version of the Pentium 4 right now. The system seems impressive from what I read of the specs and the views I saw on the website show that the cooling system relatively massive compared to most other laptops that I've seen. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this ad and is considering buying it.

sickgenius

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
You can get the same system for a lot cheaper at

http://www.sagernotebook.com
or
http://www.powernotebooks.com/

except the alienware has it with a better color =P

i think these notebooks are most likly made by ASUS or MITAC

the older Alienware laptop was the ASUS T9 series of laptop
so if possible try to look for it from someone that carries these system directly from Taiwan
you can then get it for at least $500 bucks cheaper

o_O

Skull_Angel

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Alienware seems to have paid more attention to cooling. If you look at the Alienware 51-m's left side where the PC card slot is you'll see that it's pretty much all exhaust vents. You can find a view at Alienwares website.
I've looked at Powernotebook's and Sager's websites and in the pics their versions have no exhaust vents on that side.
Although Powernotebook's does have a laptop with a 1.7 Ghz mobile P4 CPU it's ATI 7500 GPU only has 32 megs of memory so I'll probably wait for a mobile 1.7 Ghz P4from either Alienware or Sagernotebook's or just get the Alienware with the 2.0 Ghz Desktop CPU with a 64 Meg ATI 7500 mobile Radeon since Alienware seems to have paid more attention to cooling.
I'd pay extra for better cooling if I couldn't wait for the mobile 1.7 Ghz P4.

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
I've been looking at Toshiba Satelites myself, but if you do settle for the Alienware notebook, let me know what you think about it.