D-Link DSL-500 remote access - how?

tomc4t

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2003
Have a small network using a D-Link DSL-500 router. Server is running SBS2003 and is set up for remote access, but cannot find the setting on the router that will allow this type of incoming connection. The set up was all working, but "someone" pulled the power cable out of the router and hey presto all settings were lost. Any help appreciated!

riser

Illustrious
It sounds like you're using VPN (Virtual Private Networking) with your router. You should be able to find a spot to allow "VPN Passthrough" in the router configuration.
If it asks for anything else you'll have to hunt that information down.

Riser

tomc4t

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2003
Thanks Riser - managed to get it working eventually. Any network admins will probably shake their heads reading what I did, if it's wrong let me know please!

Within "NAT Configuration" I enabled DMZ and set the IP to redirect traffic to to 192.168.0.2 (the network address of the server's internal network connection).

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
That works, just as long as you know that your 192.168.0.2 machine is no longer protected from the outside world. You should have firewall software installed on it, but then you will have to configure the firewall software to allow your remote access.

If this is a server or something that has shares open for employees on the network, then those are also open to anyone on the internet.