Why not the PPC?

May 19, 2005 12:22:34 PM

This is 2005. Why can't they do this on the PPC?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887640/

Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
not get screwed over.

(Yes I was stupid enough to spend lots
of money to buy some ppcs to become
a beta tester for this platform which is
not ready for prime time.)

More about : ppc

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:10:22 PM

Barrnabas Collins <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
> put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
> not get screwed over.

How have PPC users gotten "screwed over"? Just which functionality were
you promised that you didn't get?

Scott
May 19, 2005 5:39:02 PM

"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is 2005. Why can't they do this on the PPC?
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887640/
>
> Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
> put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
> not get screwed over.
>
> (Yes I was stupid enough to spend lots
> of money to buy some ppcs to become
> a beta tester for this platform which is
> not ready for prime time.)

Um...Microsoft doesn't build PPCs do they? Why not ask HP? (I'm hopeful we
will get hard discs this year).
May 19, 2005 5:46:08 PM

On Thursday, Barrnabas Collins wrote:

> This is 2005. Why can't they do this on the PPC?
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887640/

Ermm...why not just put a 4GB CF Microdrive into a PPC?

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryans-place.com>
Anonymous

>> Ermm...why not just put a 4GB CF Microdrive into a PPC? <<

....while I concur with your feelings, to answer the question, battery
demands...

which is also why I wouldn't purchase the palmone of any similar hd pda
nor use a microdrive using current technology.

It's also not that big an issue to swap high capacity flash cards to lug
the content you just gottta have with you 24/7 and when the palmone's 4
gigs are full, ppc users can continue using addtional cards.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:46:10 PM

I realize you're an official MS apologist, but you probably noticed
that the Palmone also has flash card capabilities.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:55:53 -0500, "Beverly Howard
[Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:

> >> Ermm...why not just put a 4GB CF Microdrive into a PPC? <<
>
>...while I concur with your feelings, to answer the question, battery
>demands...
>
>which is also why I wouldn't purchase the palmone of any similar hd pda
>nor use a microdrive using current technology.
>
>It's also not that big an issue to swap high capacity flash cards to lug
>the content you just gottta have with you 24/7 and when the palmone's 4
>gigs are full, ppc users can continue using addtional cards.
>
>Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:32:05 PM

> ...while I concur with your feelings, to answer the question, battery
> demands...

Aside from that, the reviews are less than stellar. The drive spins down
often to preserve batteries, and spin-up involves a 6 second pause.

Scott
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:32:06 PM

"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
>
>> ...while I concur with your feelings, to answer the question, battery
>> demands...
>>

> Aside from that, the reviews are less than stellar. The drive spins down
> often to preserve batteries, and spin-up involves a 6 second pause.
>
> Scott

Using a gig card or better to pull desired content from the HD onto the card
for use seems like a great combination. You let the drive power off until
you want to retrieve something from mass storage onto the memory card,as it
were. But I would rather have 20 gig instead of 4 gig.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:13:59 PM

>> I realize you're an official MS apologist <<

I hope you stick around long enough to realize that the above assumption
is far from accurate. ;-)

>> SD Slot <<

I didn't comment on the PalmOne's slot since I saw no reference to it in
what I have read, but it's irrelevant to my response anyway which was
based on my experiences with battery life in a variety of mobile
equipment... ironically, because palm has held the edge in low power
consumption for most of the life of the competition.

A spinning hard drive in any device has two significant negatives...
power consumption (as mentioned) and, additionally, shock vulnerability,
so, unless I felt that there was a real need for contiguous storage, it
would be a negative decision factor in any purchase research of mine.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:41:00 PM

Go, spend your $499 on a Lifedrive, and discover a device which has 4GB of
memory but the disk is slow to start, works in an OS that doesn't have
multitasking (interesting experience: try to listen to music and see
pictures on the album at the same time), and finish all the 1660mAh of
battery in 3 hours when listening to music with the screen off.

You will enjoy it much. It is surely ready for prime time, isn't it?

Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Editor-in-Chief
Pocket PC Freak - The Hebrew Pocket PC site
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is 2005. Why can't they do this on the PPC?
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887640/
>
> Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
> put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
> not get screwed over.
>
> (Yes I was stupid enough to spend lots
> of money to buy some ppcs to become
> a beta tester for this platform which is
> not ready for prime time.)

> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:41:01 PM

Helio Diamant - MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
> Go, spend your $499 on a Lifedrive, and discover a device which has
> 4GB of memory but the disk is slow to start, works in an OS that
> doesn't have multitasking (interesting experience: try to listen to
> music and see pictures on the album at the same time), and finish all
> the 1660mAh of battery in 3 hours when listening to music with the
> screen off.
> You will enjoy it much. It is surely ready for prime time, isn't it?
>
>> This is 2005. Why can't they do this on the PPC?
>>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887640/
>>
>> Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
>> put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
>> not get screwed over.
>>
>> (Yes I was stupid enough to spend lots
>> of money to buy some ppcs to become
>> a beta tester for this platform which is
>> not ready for prime time.)

>> 120,000+ Newsgroups

I agree with your assessment except for the battery issue that is also a
significant problem on the PPC platform. I just returned an Axim X50v
since its pathetic 1100mah stock battery lasted about 2 hours in my
testing. A 2000+mah battery will not perform any better on the Axim
that does the battery on the LifeDrive. (For reference, a 2000mah
battery is the same capacity as a single modern rechargeable NiMH AA
cell) The main problem with the LD is the OS and filesystem. PalmOne
and PalmSource have sealed their fates with their choice of the out of
date and clearly deficient OS for the LD. The slow 400Mhz processor
certainly is no help either.

The inmates are in charge of the asylum at Palm.

May 19, 2005 10:33:48 PM

On 19 May 2005 13:10:22 GMT, Scott Seidman
<namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Barrnabas Collins <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
>> put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
>> not get screwed over.
>
>How have PPC users gotten "screwed over"? Just which functionality were
>you promised that you didn't get?
I'll answer that with a queston for you? Where can I buy a full legal
copy of the e-book for Harry Potter? Terry Pratchett? If you
hadn't noticed you can't anywhere at any price.
May 19, 2005 10:33:49 PM

>> no legal potter ebook <<

A decision that is 100% controlled by the author/publisher's piracy
phobias, not by the manufacturers of equipment capable of displaying
electronic content.

All current PDA's have the ability to provide any written content such
as the entire potter series on a low capacity SD card in addition to
audio and video content, so it's hard to fault MS or others for
providing a working platform which has yet to be fully exploited by the
content providers.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
May 19, 2005 10:45:42 PM

Barrnabas Collins wrote:

> This is 2005. Why can't they do this on the PPC?
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887640/
>
> Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
> put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
> not get screwed over.
>
> (Yes I was stupid enough to spend lots
> of money to buy some ppcs to become
> a beta tester for this platform which is
> not ready for prime time.)

Yes you were stupid if you didn't read up on your PDA before you made
the purchase!!

Technology is always moving forwards, no matter what you buy there will
always be a new version out within a year that's bigger and better.

If Microsoft, HP or Dell think it will make them money, then you can bet
they'll be releasing something similar. I know that Nokia plan to.
Personally, I'd rather they spent more time investing in better batteries.

If you're really unhappy, vote with your money and don't buy another MS
powered PDA again.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Reply to message from "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> (Thu, 19 May 2005
11:37:08) about "Re: Why not the PPC?":

> (For reference, a 2000mah battery is the same capacity as a single
> modern rechargeable NiMH AA cell)

Hate to nitpick, but a 2000 mah 5v battery has more potential to do work
than a 2000 mah 1.5v battery. Total wattage can be expressed as IxE, which
in this case gives 2A x 5v = 10 watt, vs 2A X 1.5v = 3 watt for the
battery.

That is, a device that requires 5 watts of power would last 2 hours on the
5v 2000 mah battery, but only .6 hours on the single battery (if said
device could handle the voltage potential difference, of course).

No doubt this is common knowledge to all here, just wanted to keep it
straight. Also note that this is simplified, without taking into
consideration heat effects as it runs, etc.

(Sorry about the nitpick, folks)
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:05:19 PM

so again, your basing your whole argument that microsoft has screwed you on
the fact that a particular publishing house has not made their book
available in .lit format. your argument was weak last week and it is still
weak now.

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
Newsgroups
| ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=----
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:40:06 PM

You have got to be kidding....

You are hammering MS and P/PCs because you can't get Harry Potter in e-book?
As Beverly points out so well in his post, have you considered the
publishers being at fault on this? Just for a brief second?

Without question this has to be one of the lamest arguements I've ever seen
in this newsgroup on why MS has "screwed" the P/PC owner.

Off to play my X-Box while I get my email remotely on my P/PC,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 19 May 2005 13:10:22 GMT, Scott Seidman
> <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Barrnabas Collins <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Maybe if Microsoft put half the resources they
>>> put into the stupid X box us PPC users would
>>> not get screwed over.
>>
>>How have PPC users gotten "screwed over"? Just which functionality were
>>you promised that you didn't get?
> I'll answer that with a queston for you? Where can I buy a full legal
> copy of the e-book for Harry Potter? Terry Pratchett? If you
> hadn't noticed you can't anywhere at any price.
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 9:22:32 AM

Barrnabas Collins wrote:
> This is 2005. Why can't they do this on the PPC?
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7887640/

What's this fuss all about? I quickly read the technical specs of the
PalmOne LifeDrive and that MSNBC news clip. I can't find anything very new
except the 4 GB hard drive.

My iPAQ Pocket PC has a 4,0" VGA screen that supports porttrait and
landscape modes (480x640 and 640x480), 624 MHz Intel XScale CPU, 128 MB
memory, MMC/SD/SDIO and CF I/II card slots, Bluetooth, WLAN, plenty of
useful apps and for example MP3/Ogg Vorbis available for free in Internet.

Okay, I don't have 4 GB of storage space, but I can get a 4 GB CF card for
under 200 euros here in Finland, I bet they're a lot cheaper in the U.S. and
Asia.

Palm OS still lacks powerful multi-tasking. If I for example try to read
email or load a web page, I might not be able to switch to my MP3 player at
the same. At least this is the case with PalmOne Treo 650 and Tungsten T5.
The LifeDrive is based on the same OS version (Palm OS® 5.4 (Garnet)), so I
guess it has all the same performance limitations.

However, it's nice that PalmOne has finally launched a handheld device with
both Bluetooth and WLAN access. Now what we still need is Palm OS 6.0 from
PalmSource.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/

I agree. Comparing to most modern PPCs, it is really old news.

!